Author Topic: This is flooding right?  (Read 1110 times)

Offline ggsteve

• Forecaster
This is flooding right?
« on: September 13, 2015, 10:37:42 AM »
My 1 acre lily pond dried up in about mid-August for the first time in memory.  Thursday we got 1.4" of rain and the pond began to refill.  It is still very low, but I would say about 2/3 of the surface is once again covered with water.  My question is do I report this to Cocorahs as flooding, even though this area has been a pond for the entire 33 years we have lived here?  This is (was) the first time I ever recall the pond completely drying up.

Offline Jáchym

• Meteotemplate Developer
  • Forecaster
    • Meteotemplate
Re: This is flooding right?
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2015, 10:45:24 AM »
Im not sure, but to me it seems like no, you should rather report the previous condition as drought - in other words it just got back to normal. The unusual thing was not the "flooding", but the drying up - ie. the drought.

Offline ocala

• Forecaster
  • The blues had a baby and named it rock n roll
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2015, 11:36:15 AM »
Looking at the Google map from your CWOP link it looks like it's connected to the pond across the street. Did it dry up too?

Offline ggsteve

• Forecaster
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2015, 12:07:29 PM »
Looking at the Google map from your CWOP link it looks like it's connected to the pond across the street. Did it dry up too?

Yes, the pond across the street dried up too, but I've seen that before.

Offline Cutty Sark Sailor

• WxElement panel
  • Forecaster
    • Frankfort Weather - TwinHollies WeatherCenter
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2015, 12:11:09 PM »
My 1 acre lily pond dried up in about mid-August for the first time in memory.  Thursday we got 1.4" of rain and the pond began to refill.  It is still very low, but I would say about 2/3 of the surface is once again covered with water.  My question is do I report this to Cocorahs as flooding, even though this area has been a pond for the entire 33 years we have lived here?  This is (was) the first time I ever recall the pond completely drying up.
1.4" surely qualifies as a "significant" weather report...   duh... now, flooding etc relates to "what you observe" nearby.. if it just filled your pond, that wouldn't be flooding.. if it also immersed your street, nearby fields, etc.. that would be 'flooding"...  to whatever appropriate description... Don't make CCR more complex that it is.  Keep it simple. If you feel you should report, REPORT!   What's significant for YOU may be "NORMAL" for others,.... so... report YOUR observations... that's it,....
« Last Edit: September 13, 2015, 12:15:03 PM by Cutty Sark Sailor »

anything