Author Topic: Oregon Scientific wmr968 barometer and dewpoint  (Read 4321 times)

Offline steve

• Mont Belvieu, Tx
Oregon Scientific wmr968 barometer and dewpoint
« on: July 23, 2010, 02:22:55 PM »
According to madis my barometeric pressure and dew point are out of whack with the rest of my area.  Do I need to replace the outdoor sensor.  I see some folks are using a different model than what original came with the 968.  Madis says my temp is pretty much right on the money!
tks
steve

Offline mackbig

• Forecaster
    • Mackie's Main Street, Unionville, ON Canada Weather
Re: Oregon Scientific wmr968 barometer and dewpoint
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2010, 02:41:22 PM »
The barometer is actually in your indoor sensor (its a baro thermo hygo cobmo, that a lot of o's).
Your outdoor hygro might be gone, or your surrounding stations might be substantially different, etc, etc.

There are a lot of variables you need to look at, and post, as it may help in answers posted here.  Where you are. Software used. Altitude.   Your cwop id... anything you can provide may and will help.

Andrew

Andrew - Davis VP2+ 6163, serial weatherlink, wireless anemometer, running Weather Display.  Boltek PCI Stormtracker, Astrogenic Nexstorm, Strikestar - UNI, CWOP CW8618, GrLevel3, (Station 2 OS WMR968, VWS 13.01p09), Windows 7-64

Offline SlowModem

• Weather at the speed of dialup!
  • Forecaster
  • WX @ 26.4 kbs
    • Watts Bar Weather
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2010, 03:05:46 PM »
According to madis my barometeric pressure and dew point are out of whack with the rest of my area.  Do I need to replace the outdoor sensor.  I see some folks are using a different model than what original came with the 968.  Madis says my temp is pretty much right on the money!
tks
steve

The barometer is in the sensor inside the house.  You can adjust the "sea level" pressure on the console.  Perhaps you need to bump it up or down just a tad if you think you're really off.

I and others have switched to a solid state temp/rh sensor (thgr122 or thgr268).  the sensors are battery operated only.

Keep in mind that dewpoint is a calculated value determined from temp and rh (and maybe some other factors).
« Last Edit: July 23, 2010, 03:11:44 PM by Slow Modem »
Greg Whitehead
Ten Mile, TN USA

Offline SlowModem

• Forecaster
  • WX @ 26.4 kbs
    • Watts Bar Weather
Greg Whitehead
Ten Mile, TN USA

Offline steve

• Mont Belvieu, Tx
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2010, 03:55:37 PM »
I have only noticed this big change in the last few weeks...I have not been home much the last few months to try to troubleshoot.  I have replaced batteries and checked battery volatge at the sensor outside and cleaned the solar panel glass.

Offline steve

• Mont Belvieu, Tx
« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2010, 04:00:16 PM »
I have located my indoor sensor outside nearby to the outdoor sensor to compare the 2 readings.  After only 5 minutes the 2 show substaintial difference in relative humidity and only 4 degrees difference in temp.

I will post back later after the indoor sensor acclumates to outside conditions.

Offline SlowModem

• Forecaster
  • WX @ 26.4 kbs
    • Watts Bar Weather
« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2010, 04:12:56 PM »
I have located my indoor sensor outside nearby to the outdoor sensor to compare the 2 readings.  After only 5 minutes the 2 show substaintial difference in relative humidity and only 4 degrees difference in temp.

I will post back later after the indoor sensor acclumates to outside conditions.

FYI:

http://www.wxforum.net/index.php?topic=2653.0

http://www.ambientweather.com/thorscwithhy.html

thgr122 at amazon
« Last Edit: July 23, 2010, 04:19:35 PM by Slow Modem »
Greg Whitehead
Ten Mile, TN USA

Offline steve

• Mont Belvieu, Tx
« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2010, 04:47:17 PM »
After 40 minutes of my indoor sensor located outside.

My console readings are:

Indoor sensor (located outside near outdoor sensor) reads 91.9 degrees and 59 per cent humidity
Outdoor sensor reads 92.5 degrees and 24 per cent humidity

I have increased the offset on outdoor humidity in Virtual Weather Station to 30.
This is giving me a 54 per cent humidity in Virtual Weather Station.

Offline mackbig

• Forecaster
    • Mackie's Main Street, Unionville, ON Canada Weather
« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2010, 05:43:38 PM »
Did the batteries run out on your indoor sensor, the first week of July?

The outdoor hygro looks fried. Measuring low all of a sudden.

Andrew

Andrew - Davis VP2+ 6163, serial weatherlink, wireless anemometer, running Weather Display.  Boltek PCI Stormtracker, Astrogenic Nexstorm, Strikestar - UNI, CWOP CW8618, GrLevel3, (Station 2 OS WMR968, VWS 13.01p09), Windows 7-64

Offline steve

• Mont Belvieu, Tx
« Reply #13 on: July 27, 2010, 12:18:56 PM »
I do believe you are correct...nice troubleshooting!

anything