Author Topic: WS-2080 reports 172 MPH randomly  (Read 5042 times)

Offline rweinkauf

WS-2080 reports 172 MPH randomly
« on: September 15, 2012, 07:12:01 AM »
Anyone else run into this?

My WS-2080 has started reporting wind gusts of 172.0 MPH randomly to Wunderground. I can delete the entries on Wunderground, but this is getting annoying. There is no pattern or trigger condition that I can figure out to account for this. I haven't seen the station report the same error to WeatherBug or WeatherAnywhere. It appears to only be to Wunderground, but I'm not 100% sure of that.

The main sensor/transmitter was replaced about 6 months ago under warranty when it started reporting 99% humidity constantly. Ambient said that was a known problem. Batteries are good (Lithium), and I was just out htere the other day checking the connectors, which are fine.

Any thoughts?

Offline DanS

• Chiang Mai weather
  • Forecaster
    • ThaiWx
Re: WS-2080 reports 172 MPH randomly
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2012, 07:24:54 AM »
I'm not an Ambient station owner but do know for a fact that LaCrosse (wired) stations will do the same thing with erroneous wind readings if the computer they are connected to has no/bad ground. As a matter of fact i do believe 172mph was one of the readings also.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2012, 07:28:59 AM by DanS »

Offline rweinkauf

« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2012, 12:19:57 PM »
Hmmm. I'm not sure I have that kind of setup. I'm using the wireless console connected to a MeteoHub that's hooked to my router. The MeteoHub was just upgraded to the latest software version a week ago, and everything has been rebooted several times.

I checked the max wind speed on the console, and it's 22.3 MPH, so I'm thinking something might be going haywire between the console and the MeteoHub, or the MeteoHub and Wunderground. Anyone have suggestions?

Offline William Grimsley

• Forecaster
    • Newton Poppleford Weather
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2012, 12:23:02 PM »
Hi there,

Is this being reported on the Console, Cumulus/Weather Software or something else?

Thanks

Will
http://www.newton-poppleford-weather.co.uk
Davis Vantage Vue - Cumulus v1.9.4 (1084)
Weather Underground: IDEVONEX12
Met Office WOW: 717144
PWS Weather: ENG128597

Offline rweinkauf

« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2012, 01:48:20 PM »
The anomalous data is showing on the Wunderground website for my station, on the Weather Station History page.

These questions are helping me debug this- I just checked through all the MeteoHub data on the times and dates that wind gusts of 172.0 MPH are showing up in my uploaded Wunderground data, and the wind gust data in my MeteoHub is fine. No record of 172.0 MPH showing on the console or the MeteoHub.

I can only conclude that the error is not in my weather station, but somewhere between the MeteoHub upload and Wunderground.

At least there's nothing wrong with the station or sensors. This is narrowing it down.

Anyone else ever see this with regard to Wunderground and a MeteoHub, or just with Wunderground and some other system?

Offline William Grimsley

• Forecaster
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2012, 02:53:45 PM »
The anomalous data is showing on the Wunderground website for my station, on the Weather Station History page.

These questions are helping me debug this- I just checked through all the MeteoHub data on the times and dates that wind gusts of 172.0 MPH are showing up in my uploaded Wunderground data, and the wind gust data in my MeteoHub is fine. No record of 172.0 MPH showing on the console or the MeteoHub.

I can only conclude that the error is not in my weather station, but somewhere between the MeteoHub upload and Wunderground.

At least there's nothing wrong with the station or sensors. This is narrowing it down.

Anyone else ever see this with regard to Wunderground and a MeteoHub, or just with Wunderground and some other system?

Hi rweinkauf,

Yes, then it is something to do with Meteohub and Weather Underground :/ Try re-installing Meteohub would be my first option.

Will

Offline raedh

« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2012, 07:19:28 AM »
I had the same issue with 2080 suddenly start reporting wind speed and gust 187 KM, I had to reset the station and update cumulus files manually

Offline William Grimsley

• Forecaster
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2012, 10:14:51 AM »
I had the same issue with 2080 suddenly start reporting wind speed and gust 187 KM, I had to reset the station and update cumulus files manually

That's definetly a good idea! :)

Will

Offline rweinkauf

« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2012, 07:07:56 AM »
Well, now that some time has passed, and I've seen more data, the random gust of 172 MPH is definitely being reported by the sensors, and the data is ending up in the logs. I must have been misinterpreting the numbers in the log to conclude that the data was somehow generated between the MeteoHub and the systems I report to.

I'm back to figuring out why the random gusts are reported. I may have to buy a new sensor since the system is off warranty.

Offline DanS

• Chiang Mai weather
  • Forecaster
    • ThaiWx
« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2012, 07:38:21 AM »
First thing I'd try is running the console display on batteries only (if you're not already) for a few days to see if there is an AC power ground issue between the hub and console.  Also, unplug the USB connection temporarily to isolate the hub fro the console for however long it takes to see if the error goes away on the console.

If that's not it then replacing or rerouting the rj11 cable between the wind cup assembly and thermo/hygro sensor.  You have anything nearby the anemometer assembly (power lines, transformer, Ham antenna, etc.) that could cause interference?
« Last Edit: November 19, 2012, 07:59:51 AM by DanS »

Offline Weather Display

• Forecaster
    • West Coast Road Weather Data
« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2012, 07:19:07 PM »
most likely will be due to electrical inteference
try replacing all cables with Cat 5 sheilded and add RF baluns/chokes even
Brian
info@weather-display.com
http://www.weather-display.com

Offline rweinkauf

« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2012, 07:13:48 AM »
FOLLOW UP: After a reset of the weather console (unplug USB from MeteoHub, remove batteries, wait, replace), the station started reporting gusts of 28 MPH. I lived with that for a little while, and then repeated the procedure. After running 5 days, no anomalous wind gusts have been reported. So far so good.

I think this console has issues with communicating with the MeteoHub. A previous support call to Ambient revealed that the other issues with this communication had affected anomalous reporting of humidity.

Offline meteo-saint-brevin

• Senior Contributor
    • Météo Saint-Brevin
« Reply #12 on: November 19, 2012, 11:55:52 AM »
One year ago, I started with a PCE-FWS20 station of the same falily, and I also got reports of wind speed in the vincinity of 200 km/h. I also got a lot of annoying loose of contact although the distance between the console and the ISS was around 20-30 meters. Each time, I had to reset the console, un plug the main power supply, remove batteries, unplug the USB cable...

I think a possibility for the extravagant windspeed reports would be interferences with 2 other equipments in the station working in the same frequency range (868 MHz).

Tired of all those issues, I moved to a Davis, which works on the same frequency range, but uses frequency hoping and spread spectrum, and then is not sensible to interference from the 2 others equipments. I don't think your trouble comes from your computer side but from the wireless link between your console and you ISS.

Regards,

Marcel
Marcel Le Jeune F6DOW - Saint-Brevin-les-Pins - Pays de la Loire - France
www.meteo-saint-brevin.fr
Vantage Pro2 6163EU - VirtualVP, Cumulus, WeatherLink
Wifi cam Reolink RLC-410W - Blue Iris - Blue Iris tools