Author Topic: LaCrosse Wireless Internet Gateway Model GW1000U ERF-100  (Read 139292 times)

Offline markmanxp

Re: LaCrosse Wireless Internet Gateway Model GW1000U ERF-100
« Reply #225 on: April 16, 2014, 07:52:51 PM »
I'm running Windows 7 64 bit home premium.   I have sys internals TCPView and ProcMonitor running to see if that can shed any light but nothing stands out.  If I didn't have / make any changes to setup I don't think the ini even comes into play.   When I started over, of course an INI is created on first launch of skyspy.   And without making any changes using the Setup button I should be getting data but I don't.. just the packets saying its talking to the gw!   

I've tried totally removing ssserver and it's related folder contents to a zip.  I've then ran the uninstaller to completely remove SkyService.  I manually deleted any left over files including those in the \programdata\skyspydata folder.  I 've reboot my pc and the gw.   And after reinstalling I once again see the monitor getting the pings, sdp, etc but nothing more.   I'm officially at not sure where to go next.  I've done computer support for over 15 years and have been around since my Vic-20 but this one I'm stumped!
« Last Edit: April 16, 2014, 08:53:56 PM by markmanxp »

Offline skydvrz

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #226 on: April 16, 2014, 08:57:04 PM »
I'm running Windows 7 64 bit home premium.

Do you have a plain vanilla installation?  No SSDD for a C: drive, Windows installed on C:, no VMs or tightened down user privileges?

SkySpy needs to write its INI file when you make changes to settings. If you have really strict user privs then it may not be able to save changes.

You might try running Monitor as Admin until I figure out what to do with the INI file.

I really really wanted to use the registry instead of an INI file, but it was not possible due to the service.  I would need to use the HKey Local Machine (HKLM) part of the registry and not everyone can write to that.  The service needs to use HKLM to be able to operate when nobody is logged into Windows, but the PC is still running.

SkySpy also needs access to C:\ProgramData\SkySpy

It will create that folder and some sub-directories if it does not exist (ala XP).  It keeps its embedded database files there.

Hmmm.  Maybe I'll put the INI file there for one-stop-shopping reasons! :-)

Offline markmanxp

« Reply #227 on: April 16, 2014, 09:10:40 PM »
Yep no odd / non-standard configs.  I'm running it and logged in as myself with admin rights.   The ini file isn't locked down by any means and when I do make setup changes in the ssMonitor it does write these changes to the ini.   I was watching the files in the  C:\ProgramData\SkySpy and they do update (timestamp) especially the ibdata1 file which grows in size  as the ssmonitor / service is running.   ](*,)  this is a challenge but I'm sure will get it somehow, someway and soon.    Btw, 90 minutes north of my location received a nice late season snowstorm.  Glad we didn't get in on that because I'm done for winter this year! ha

btw in the ssMonitor under the Logging tab.  Anyway we can use this to get some log information that may help?
« Last Edit: April 16, 2014, 09:14:03 PM by markmanxp »

Offline skydvrz

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #228 on: April 16, 2014, 09:40:52 PM »
Yep no odd / non-standard configs. 

There won't be much in the logs, but you can click the Help tab on the main ribbon in Monitor and then click on the Tech Support button.  Fill in the title: something like No Sensor Readings.  Fill in some sort of short description.

You can send me other debug files by dragging and dropping them on the Grid below the Description field.

You can select the priority of the issue using the radio buttons.  The appropriate priority would be Immediate in your case.

Click OK and SkySpy will zip all the files up and post the whole works as a bug report on my Mantis server. 

The progress bar will update as the report is transmitted.

Cool huh?!

You can do the same thing with feature requests by clicking the... Wait for it... The feature request button!

I am adding more debug code to log some behind-the-scenes stuff that may help with your problem.  I am beginning to think you have a problem with Named Pipes.  There is a separate pipe for the service to send sensor readings to the monitor display, but this should not affect WU updates even if it is broken.

Yet another named pipe sends debug information from Service to Monitor.  That one appears to be working.  Weird!

Offline markmanxp

« Reply #229 on: April 16, 2014, 09:48:42 PM »
That is cool!  Wow!   I just submitted one.  I'll name my pipes whatever you want to get this working !   :-P

Offline markmanxp

« Reply #230 on: April 17, 2014, 08:49:11 PM »
Good news!   I can never stop troubleshooting.   I decided to install mySQL and configured it with a root and user acct this evening on my home pc.    I have never used mySQL.   I use SQL Server 2008 at work a lot but have never had the need to use / learn mySQL even though they are similar in many ways.    I ran your script to build the tables and such.    I restarted the service and launched the monitor.  I configured it for Use Embedded mySQL but after about 10 minutes nothing was different.  After playing around with mySQL I'm sure I don't have the acct setup correctly yet.  I learn that later :-)   But anyways, I unchecked the Use Embedded mySQL checkbox and within minutes BOOM!  Data!!!!      So it appears just by having mySQL installed it fixed the issue even though I'm currently NOT using the Embedded mySQL option.  Whoo hooooooo

Offline skydvrz

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #231 on: April 17, 2014, 09:58:04 PM »
So it appears just by having mySQL installed it fixed the issue even though I'm currently NOT using the Embedded mySQL option.  Whoo hooooooo

I am glad you got it working, but I am a bit skeptical that the MySQL install was the fix.  There is probably a threading problem with the SkySpy code or maybe a problem with named pipes (a way to transfer information between apps running under windows).

Right now it is not possible to use any other MySQL server except mine due to some missing tables and records that are not part of the script I have been sending out.  A whole schema containing multiple tables is missing from the current script.

I am working on a sanitized MySQL script that has the minimum tables and records you would need to run your own database.  I hope to release that soon.  I also need to make some changes to the code to be able to work in this abbreviated MySQL environment.

I am going to have to duck out of here for a couple days.  I have step-daughter and grandkids visiting so I have to go play granddad to a couple little boys.  We are having big fun on my hobby farm, playing with ducklings, chicks and bunnies - not much software development going on :-)

Offline 10ACTony

« Reply #232 on: April 18, 2014, 12:28:56 AM »

I am going to have to duck out of here for a couple days.  I have step-daughter and grandkids visiting so I have to go play granddad to a couple little boys.  We are having big fun on my hobby farm, playing with ducklings, chicks and bunnies - not much software development going on :-)

Have a great Easter Weekend.
//
No trees were destroyed in the sending of this message though a significant number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.
//

Offline MtHighVs

« Reply #233 on: April 19, 2014, 09:24:55 PM »
Yes I hope that all are having a great Easter weekend. I know that I am going to have fun with the grandkids tomorrow.

Just thought that I would ad a note of what I have found in installing the new SkySpyService I have Installed on two machine at home a (XP home) machine and at my Vacation Home a (win 7 pro) machine and on both machines I could not get any reading in the SkySpy Monitor last packet type or last packet time windows. I kept reading the post here and installed and uninstalled made sure that the settings looked  right in the SkySpy config file. but no success finally I installed with window firewall turned off and bingo last packet type or last packet time windows started updating right away.

Running in embedded mode still no data in the current readings windows and no data on the mini web page. after 30 minutes. So Un-checked Use Embedded MySQL checkbox. Restated SkySpy Monitor running my accounts on Skydvrz's MySQL server and bingo current data updated in minutes. :grin: :grin:

If I turn window firewall back on it stops working so my question is what exceptions should I set in the firewall to be able to turn it back on.

Offline skydvrz

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #234 on: April 21, 2014, 10:15:51 PM »
Here is a new SkySpy release:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/omy7kmg4huhlwe8/SkySpyInstall.exe

I have fixed a few bugs and improved the service debug viewer. 

I have also added two SQL files to the release for people that want to host their own (or buddy up with someone who does) MySQL database server.  You can find the SQL scripts in the install directory.  You need to run both the "weather" and "utility" schemas. 

If you want to host multiple SkySpy users, simply create a MySQL account for each person and give them external access using that account.  You also need to create multiple accounts if you want to store sensor readings from more than one physical location (home  + vacation cottage, Etc).

SkySpy will autocreate a station ID number for them, the first time they log in and submit sensor data.  The Station ID is used to separate different user's sensor readings from each other.

If you just want to host MySQL on your home LAN, then just use your existing account.

If you don't want to mess with MySQL, then configure SkySpy to use the embedded server, with limited features.

The install manual (unchanged since the last version) can be found here:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/brnz7jesdvvbmg5/ReadMe.pdf

I will be shutting down public access to my database server soon, so please test the database features and make sure they are working for you.

Enjoy!

Offline markmanxp

« Reply #235 on: April 22, 2014, 09:58:27 AM »
Any suggestions if currently running the prior version before installing this version?   Do we need to uninstall it first?  Can we upgrade on top of the existing?  If so, should we stop the windows service?  Thanks again for the great work!

Offline skydvrz

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #236 on: April 22, 2014, 10:20:52 AM »
Any suggestions if currently running the prior version before installing this version?   Do we need to uninstall it first?  Can we upgrade on top of the existing?  If so, should we stop the windows service?  Thanks again for the great work!

If you were running the previous "service" version, then you can just install on top of the old version.  You can also uninstall the old version first if you like.  Both the installer and deinstaller tell the service to stop prior to removing or replacing it.

For the lurkers:  If you are running the non-service, desktop version then please shut it down prior to installing the service version.  Do not try to run both the old desktop version and the service at the same time.

Offline 10ACTony

« Reply #237 on: April 22, 2014, 02:24:23 PM »
 =D>      =D>      =D>      =D>      =D>

Skyspy is now running totally on my system.

But . . . .

There still seems to be a problem with the ini file.  I did a complete uninstall of the previous version renamed the skyspy.ini file.  This was the only file in the folder.  Installed the latest version of the server and after installation there was no skyspy.ini file in the folder.

Monitor came up and already had my username and info about skudvrz server.  Logged in.  No data changed on display.  Checked the rest of setup  (The rest is from because it's running so nice now, I don't want to go back and mess with it).  External display info was default.  Mini web contained the settings that were in there from the previous version.  Clicked OK. and exited program.  Still no skyspy.ini.

Stopped service copy old ini to skyspy.ini. Restarted service and monitor.  Started to collect data.

Since there wasn't an ini file in the earlier non service versions, I'm guessing that username, server address and port may have been kept in the registery. I did a search of the registery and could not find the username although there were references to ssServer and ssMonitor.

I had the same problems getting it to report to my database rather than skydvrz.  Changed the address when monitor first stared up.  Checked in setup the address was still the remote server. Manually changed the server address and clicked OK. Checked ini, changes not included. Stopped server, manually changed ini file and saved it.  Restarted service.  Everything seems to be working now.

Whew!    :???:
//
No trees were destroyed in the sending of this message though a significant number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.
//

Offline skydvrz

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #238 on: April 22, 2014, 04:01:56 PM »
Sorry!  I forgot to mention that the SkySpy.ini file is now kept in

c:\programdata\SkySpy

along with all the files necessary for embedded mode.  This includes tables and internal schema files used by the simplified embedded MySQL server.  Many of the files found there are autocreated by MySQL the first time you use embedded mode.

The INI file is no longer stored in Program Files folder, as this is not an appropriate place for writable files if you don't have admin privileges.  It may or may not be deleted by the latest installer.  I will have to check on that.

The login screen probably still uses the registry, but all other information is kept in the INI.

Note that the service re-checks the INI file every minute or two.  It loads in all the new settings found there just before it does anything with the database, sends data to WU, displays the mini-web page, Etc.  It then promptly forgets them until the next time it needs to wake up.

This allows you to make changes in Monitor and have settings changes picked up by the service in near real-time.

You won't see any major changes until the service detects an SDP - that is when all the heavy lifting happens.  This type of packet occurs about once every 3-5 minutes.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2014, 04:08:44 PM by skydvrz »

Offline 10ACTony

« Reply #239 on: April 22, 2014, 04:44:30 PM »
Sorry!  I forgot to mention that the SkySpy.ini file is now kept in

c:\programdata\SkySpy

Ahhhhhhh!

Now some of it makes sense.

//
//

Offline skydvrz

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #240 on: April 23, 2014, 11:57:46 AM »
I have started working on the "GAS" feature of SkySpy Monitor.  It will replace the LaCrosse GAS utility, allowing you to switch between SkySpy and the LaCrosse web site (although I don't know why you would want to do that)  8-)

It will let new SkySpy users to do one-stop-shopping when configuring their weather station for use with SkySpy for the first time.

Offline MtHighVs

« Reply #241 on: April 23, 2014, 02:59:44 PM »
I have started working on the "GAS" feature of SkySpy Monitor.  It will replace the LaCrosse GAS utility, allowing you to switch between SkySpy and the LaCrosse web site (although I don't know why you would want to do that)  8-)

It will let new SkySpy users to do one-stop-shopping when configuring their weather station for use with SkySpy for the first time.

Again I want to Thank you for all the hard work that you have put into this

I am new to MySql and need some help ](*,) I downloaded and installed mysql 5.6.17 and ran the "weather" and "utility" schemas (does it matter which one you run first) And then Installed the new skyspyserver and I kind of have it working the skyspy service it sending the data to my sql server but if I try to log into it with SkySpy Monitor it send a error report (not sure where it is storing these error reports) but finally it logs in but does not show anything in the in the service info window and no current sensor readings show up but if I go to my mini web page it shows my new station id and the current data that has been log for today. And Wu web site is updating also.

Any help that anyone can give me would be greatly appreciated.

Offline 10ACTony

« Reply #242 on: April 23, 2014, 04:12:12 PM »
Were you using skydrvz server initially?  If so, when you start the Monitor program did you change the server address there? Click the button on the left (Advanced?). Change that to your MYSQL server address.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2014, 04:16:58 PM by 10ACTony »
//
//

Offline 10ACTony

« Reply #243 on: April 23, 2014, 04:22:31 PM »
Will it screw anything up to have more than one instance of the monitor program running.  If I wanted the monitor running on my desktop as well as/or rather than on the server, will it work?

Tried it and this is what I found out so far.

I just moved the skyspy program folder and ran the monitor program, logged in the first time but when I tried to change the setup everything resulted in an error to skydvrz.  Killed to program and move the skyspydata folder logged in the my server and this is what I have:

Service Readings and Service Debug on Monitor screen do not change, however Historical reading and Debug do update.  Does the server have to be running for service reading to update?

Going to try an install to see what happens.

That didn't work either.  Is this something that can be done??  Placing on debug site.

« Last Edit: April 23, 2014, 04:59:20 PM by 10ACTony »
//
//

Offline MtHighVs

« Reply #244 on: April 23, 2014, 05:03:13 PM »
Were you using skydrvz server initially?  If so, when you start the Monitor program did you change the server address there? Click the button on the left (Advanced?). Change that to your MYSQL server address.
Yes I was using skydrvz server initially and yes I changed the server address to my server address by clicking the Advanced button. And that is when I get the error report on logging in.

I then closed the monitor and opened it again and changed back to skydvrz server and logged in and when it opens the ping data shows up and pretty soon the current data shows up and if I click on the graph or the history tab it load the data on skydrvrx server and that data stops at the time when I installed the new skyserver.

I then closed the monitor and opened it again and changed back to logging into my server and get the error report  and when it logs in still no ping data or current data but if I click on the graph tab it sends a error report but then load a graph of my data from when I installed the new skyserver but if I go to the history tab it only shows the error report and then no data.

Offline 10ACTony

« Reply #245 on: April 23, 2014, 05:12:09 PM »

I then closed the monitor and opened it again and changed back to logging into my server and get the error report  and when it logs in still no ping data or current data but if I click on the graph tab it sends a error report but then load a graph of my data from when I installed the new skyserver but if I go to the history tab it only shows the error report and then no data.

You'll have to wait for skydvrz to to check the error log.  He may even be able to answer off the top of his head.
//
//

Offline skydvrz

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #246 on: April 23, 2014, 09:08:55 PM »
There are some bugs in the login code that I need to fix - actually they are already fixed.  Unfortunately, I have the "hood up" on a big chunk of ssMonitor right now and can't ship the bug fix without finishing that part. 

That plus I have 60 baby chicks (I own a hobby farm) coming in the US Mail tomorrow, so I need to get ready for that - did I mention it is p*ssing down rain right now and I have to get outside chicken brooders set up tonight?

The quick fix is to switch back to my server for a day or two - or use embedded mode.  I have all the correct tables and record values for the utility schema that some of you don't have.  That is why ssMonitor works when connected to my server.

Anyway, I have a lot of mud to slog through tonight, so I better get running.  :-|

Offline skydvrz

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #247 on: April 23, 2014, 10:30:13 PM »
Ok, setting up brooders in the rain and mud took less time than I figured.    \:D/ 

Here is the next release (untested) that should address the issues I saw today in the automated bug reports.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/omy7kmg4huhlwe8/SkySpyInstall.exe

Offline markmanxp

« Reply #248 on: April 23, 2014, 11:52:28 PM »
Good Evening!   Tried the latest version from late tonight but I couldn't get it to log into my mysql instance at all or provide service readings and service debug information. (using either mySQL instance or the embedded)  Reverted back to 1.1.0.71 and  it once again allowed me to login using my localhost instance of mysql and also populated the current senser readings once again.  WU continued to work though with either version installed.   Like what I'm seeing.

Offline skydvrz

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #249 on: April 24, 2014, 12:33:07 AM »
Hmmm.  Back to the drawing board.  Too many interruptions from farm animals tonight, apparently.  I live a complicated life.

I will reassess in the morning.