Author Topic: Program to assemble still frames into a movie  (Read 1778 times)

Offline DaleReid

• Forecaster
    • Weather at Eau Claire, WI
Program to assemble still frames into a movie
« on: July 22, 2017, 09:59:39 PM »
The attraction tonight was a few nice uplifts giving some good billowing clouds to watch.

I set my camera to take a picture every 5 seconds (should have been 2) and now have a few hundred frames that I'd like to assemble into a movie.

Years ago on a computer that no longer will power up I had a program that I can't recall the name of that would allow you to set various parameters, like frames per second, even a little cropping if I remember right.  It took the frames and made a .mov out of it if I recall.

I don't do photoshop, which I hear can do this, but am looking for either a good free program, or one with a trial period to see if it does what I need or think I'd like to have.

Does anyone have a recommendation or two for this?  I know some web cams can do it from the images they save, but I don't think I can feed them .jpgs from an outside source, plus I'd hate to loose the resolution from the camera.

I'm all ears.  Thanks for any suggestions.
Dale
ECWx.info
&
ECWx.info/t/index.php

Offline nincehelser

• Forecaster
Re: Program to assemble still frames into a movie
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2017, 10:12:01 PM »
Microsoft used to have a program called "Windows Movie Maker" that could do that, but it's been discontinued and they stopped offering it for download earlier this year.  I hear Microsoft plans to replace it with something else, but I don't know if it's available yet.

Apparently you can download a "Windows Movie Maker" from other sources, but who knows if it official or not?

Offline DaleReid

• Forecaster
    • Weather at Eau Claire, WI
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2017, 10:22:54 PM »
 Thanks.
And I just had a brain hiccough and think my program was Image Move Maker or something like that.  I'm off to research.  My memory ain't so good as it used to be so I'm hoping Google's crystal ball can help.  Thanks again.
ECWx.info
&
ECWx.info/t/index.php

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
« Last Edit: July 22, 2017, 10:33:40 PM by Bushman »
Need low cost IP monitoring?  http://wirelesstag.net/wta.aspx?link=NisJxz6FhUa4V67/cwCRWA or PM me for 50% off Wirelesstags!!

Offline SLOweather

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
    • Weatherelement Moline IL
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2017, 02:12:48 PM »
Great minds think alike, Dale. I've been contemplating this very thing whilst out in the Think Tank in the afternoon with a glass of wine. I'll be following this thread.

Also had another idea that I'll post in a new thread.

Chris

Offline GregJ

• Forecaster
    • http://www.SkunkBayWeather.com
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2017, 10:48:48 AM »
I use Sebectec/IPTimelapse for all of my time lapse and automation.  It is very reasonably priced.  You can create a time lapse from an image list that is nothing more than a text file.  If you isolate the files that you want into one folder, you can simply do a " dir >filename.txt " to create the image list.  Edit out the header and footer lines with notepad and then use Sebectec to create video from file name.

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]

Greg

Davis VP2 with VWS

"Everybody talks about the weather, but nobody does anything about it." -- Mark Twain

Offline Bashy

• brecklandweather.com/meteo
  • Forecaster
  • brecklandweather.com/index.php
    • Breckland Weather
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2017, 11:15:47 AM »
Microsoft used to have a program called "Windows Movie Maker" that could do that, but it's been discontinued and they stopped offering it for download earlier this year.  I hear Microsoft plans to replace it with something else, but I don't know if it's available yet.

Apparently you can download a "Windows Movie Maker" from other sources, but who knows if it official or not?

What the..... i didnt get the memo and i have just had to redo my lappy drive so have lost the gallery and movie maker, gutted, they were great for what they were
Kind regards
Bashy

Offline Bashy

• brecklandweather.com/meteo
  • Forecaster
  • brecklandweather.com/index.php
    • Breckland Weather
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2017, 11:25:49 AM »
Few, wayback machine still has the links :)

Kind regards
Bashy

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2017, 01:58:20 PM »
While I like Photolapse, this one (FREE!) looks nice and simple.  http://makeavi.sourceforge.net/
Need low cost IP monitoring?  http://wirelesstag.net/wta.aspx?link=NisJxz6FhUa4V67/cwCRWA or PM me for 50% off Wirelesstags!!

anything