Author Topic: The CoCoRaHS Rain Gauge after many years of use...  (Read 3916 times)

Offline W3DRM

• Forecaster
    • Emmett Weather
The CoCoRaHS Rain Gauge after many years of use...
« on: November 07, 2011, 10:10:17 PM »
Just wondering what other folks' CoCoRaHS rain gauges look like after several years of sitting out in the elements on a 24/7 basis?

I've had mine since April of 2007 (4+ years) and find that the larger outer container is really badly crazed. It is just about impossible to read the inner gauge values without removing the inner tube. I used to be able to read it with my binoculars from the house during a storm, but not any longer. It's true that I live in a very UV intensive area of the country (northern Nevada) but I would think these units would have been built to withstand the extreme weather throughout the country.

Have been thinking about getting a second one so I can swap them out between readings during the snow season as someone else suggested in a post a while back.

I'll try to get a picture of my gauge tomorrow and post it in this thread so you can see what I am experiencing with mine.

Don - W3DRM - Emmett, Idaho --- Blitzortung ID: 808 --- FlightRadar24 ID: F-KBOI7
Davis Wireless VP2, WD 10.37s150,
StartWatch, VirtualVP, VPLive, Win10 Pro
--- Logitech HD Pro C920 webcam (off-line)
--- RIPE Atlas Probe - 32849

Offline d_l

• Forecaster
  • Slide Mtn - Mt Rose
    • Thomas Creek Estates neighborhood weather
Re: The CoCoRaHS Rain Gauge after many years of use...
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2011, 09:36:00 AM »
I retired my gauge (outer tube and all) after it had been out for about a decade, from shortly after the great Reno flood to a few years ago, and replaced it with a new one.  Just looking at it, you would think that would crumble in your hand from the intense crazing, but I guess the destruction was only skin deep as the outer tube had considerable remaining strength.  The bottom was just cracked enough to permit water to leak out.   The bracket, however, was in danger of crumbling and allowing the tube to fall off the post.

I also bought a second outer tube to make a soil percolation/field capacity test column.  I've re-used the old funnel and inner tube for the tests.

--Dave--

Wireless VP2 w/ solar, 24hr FARS, Heater, (Envoy-WLIP)*3-Meteohub, plus custom VP2 @ 26', WL 6.0.4, WU & W4U=KNVRENO37 NetcamXL

People always talk about the weather, but they never do anything about it.  Not me.  I'm gonna measure it.  https://www.tceweather.com

Offline wmcatty

• Forecaster
    • Heart of Texas Weather
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2011, 09:54:00 PM »
Mine sat in the dead heat of the relentless Texas sun (100-110 degrees) all summer and looks as good as the day I got it (May 2011).  But I was wondering what the "shelf" life of the plastic guage was.  I guess I will have to replace it in 2-3 years, as CoCoRaHS does not advertise any type of warranty.
Davis Wireless Pro2 with Solar Sensor; Weatherlink 5.9.3; VWS; WLIP; CWOP DW8373; Wunderground KTXGATES4; CoCoRaHS=TX-CRL-4

Offline SlowModem

• Weather at the speed of dialup!
  • Forecaster
  • WX @ 26.4 kbs
    • Watts Bar Weather
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2011, 09:59:22 PM »
I keep the funnel and inside tube in the house.  I swap out the big tubes when one has water in it.  It should last practically forever that way.
Greg Whitehead
Ten Mile, TN USA

Offline CookevilleWeatherGuy

• Contributor
  • Weather Isn't Climate
    • Cookeville Weather Guy
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2012, 11:00:15 AM »
Mine is outdoors 24/7 as well. It is beginning to show it's age after 4 years of use. At only $30 bucks for the whole thing, I'll end up replacing it at some point this summer. I can tell you it lasts a whole lot longer than anything available in the retail market at the typical stores.
Visit my WEATHER Page:
Cookeville Weather Guy

Davis Vantage Vue
VWS 14.01 p46
WU: KTNCOOKE10
SkyWarn Trained Storm Spotter
CoCoRaHS County Coordinator

Offline SlowModem

• Weather at the speed of dialup!
  • Forecaster
  • WX @ 26.4 kbs
    • Watts Bar Weather
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2012, 11:10:09 AM »
Mine is outdoors 24/7 as well. It is beginning to show it's age after 4 years of use. At only $30 bucks for the whole thing, I'll end up replacing it at some point this summer. I can tell you it lasts a whole lot longer than anything available in the retail market at the typical stores.

I bought a second big tube so I can swap them out in case there is ice that needs to thaw, or if it is raining and I can come inside to measure.  I guess it will last twice as long that way!  :D
Greg Whitehead
Ten Mile, TN USA

Offline CookevilleWeatherGuy

• Contributor
  • Weather Isn't Climate
    • Cookeville Weather Guy
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2012, 01:02:42 PM »

I bought a second big tube so I can swap them out in case there is ice that needs to thaw, or if it is raining and I can come inside to measure.  I guess it will last twice as long that way!  :D

Awesome idea Greg...will have to steal that one from you!
Visit my WEATHER Page:
Cookeville Weather Guy

Davis Vantage Vue
VWS 14.01 p46
WU: KTNCOOKE10
SkyWarn Trained Storm Spotter
CoCoRaHS County Coordinator

anything