Author Topic: Vantage Vue - Low Battery Transmitter even after changing battery?  (Read 19774 times)

Offline billunger

I have had a Vantage Vue for about a year now and about 2 days ago my console started displaying "Low Battery Transmitter 1."  The sensor is mounted at the top of my very steep roof, but we had a huge thaw yesterday and today, so i climbed up and swapped the battery with a new one.  Unfortunately, my console is still cycling through the same message.  It is receiving data, but I am worried something is going bad somewhere and we are supposed to get snow again tonight/tomorrow... which means no more roof climbing me for a few more months...

thanks in advance,
Bill

Offline Bruiser

• Contributor
    • Miami Township (Just South of Dayton), Ohio Weather
Re: Vantage Vue - Low Battery Transmitter even after changing battery?
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2013, 11:21:17 AM »
Was this just installed this morning?

I assume this would work on the Vantage Vue console.  If you go into Setup on Vantage Pro consoles then exit, the message should go away.  Or it shall go away after midnight when the console is on a new day.  This is assuming there are no other issues with the system...

Good luck...

Offline billunger

« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2013, 11:28:38 AM »
I cycled through the settings and it is still displaying.  <sigh>

Offline billunger

« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2013, 08:50:35 AM »
Hmmm.... 

Cycled through the settings and that didn't fix.

Waited until next day and still showing low battery.

I have continued to receive a signal throughout the night though, so I don't think the battery is legitimately low. 

Any thoughts?

thanks
Bill

Offline moehoward4

• Forecaster
  • Jack in SE MA.
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2013, 12:25:33 PM »
billunger.....Did you read pages 4 thru 6 in the VUE ISS manual? That may help solve your problem....just a thought
3 Davis set-ups...which one ya wanna talk about? And I got ALL my manuals....

Offline billunger

« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2013, 12:50:30 PM »
Mostly.  :-) 

Everything is working as expected:  I am receiving signals and data, but am just getting the Low Battery message on the console....

Offline dalecoy

• Forecaster
    • Lee's Summit, MO
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2013, 01:38:03 PM »
What brand and type of battery did you install as the replacement?  What was the voltage of the battery when you put it in?

Offline billunger

« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2013, 05:53:11 PM »
Duracell cr123, 3v.  I am pretty sure the battery is fine as it has been dark and gray all day and no transmit issues have occurred..

Offline Beaudog

• Forecaster
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2013, 06:10:10 PM »
You don't suppose you had one of those senior moments like I often do and put the old battery back in?

Offline billunger

« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2013, 07:01:55 PM »
Definitely not.  :-)  The old battery dropped out of the unit, down the roof, and on to the deck below....

Offline billunger

« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2013, 10:36:49 AM »
Could the console need 24 hours to clear the warning?  I woke up this morning and checked the console to find no more low battery warning.  Strange....

Offline Bruiser

• Contributor
    • Miami Township (Just South of Dayton), Ohio Weather
« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2013, 11:31:29 AM »
I think it may be hit or miss.......I was hoping this indeed would happen since you were reporting a lack of Data loss which seemed to rule out a bad battery/sensor.

Here's hoping it stays true for you!

Offline SLOweather

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
    • Weatherelement Moline IL
« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2013, 12:53:55 PM »
The console should clear at midnight. However, if you are in a hurry, going into SETUP mode and back should clear it right then.

I've had 2 or 3 of my wireless stations show a low battery warning before I think they should, and then clear in a day or 2. One of my inadvertent experiments showed that an ISS with solar would run on a low battery for about a month after the alarm first appeared, during December at 35 degrees N latitude. So I don't get too excited about replacing the battery as soon as the alert appears.

Offline billunger

« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2013, 06:13:50 PM »
So far so good, so I will keep my fingers crossed.  Cold and snow moved back in, so there is pretty much no way I can get back up to the sensor for a couple more months....

Offline planohog

« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2013, 06:17:08 PM »
I have had the same warning here in dallas tx area.. The unit is about two years old, seems to be gone now. It did last a few days about mid month.  I am very happy with this unit and enjoy the high wind alarms.

Offline weathermedic

« Reply #15 on: January 29, 2013, 06:43:54 PM »
I've had my Vue up for two and a half years. After the first 4 months, the low battery transmitter message kept coming on, even with new batteries. The sensor suite stopped sending data after a couple of weeks. I called Davis and they sent me a new solar capacitor under warranty, which I replaced myself. The unit was operating fine until a couple of weeks ago when I again got the dreaded low transmitter battery 1 message on the display. The ISS stopped sending a signal at night between about 4am-8am, until the sun came up and hit the solar panel. I changed the battery (old one read 2.89 volts) but the message remained, even after the new battery was installed and I waited for the internal "reset" at midnight. The ISS still stopped sending info between about 4am-8am. I changed the battery the next day and have gotten the same results.

I contacted Davis via email and the reply I received was to change the ISS/receiver to another channel other than 1. That made no sense, so I didn't even bother (ISS is up on a peaked roof) and I called tech support. They said it seems like a problem they will have to fix in house and to send it in.

About a 3 week turnaround...ugh!

Offline arrowspace90

• Forecaster
  • Vantage Pro II, tripod mount, 30 feet elevation
« Reply #16 on: January 29, 2013, 08:18:01 PM »
I have been reading about these low battery issues since I got my Vue in Oct. 2011.

So far I have not had the problem.  I sympathize, as I likewise have the very steep, high roof.

Sigh.  When this happens to me, I am sure it will, I will just spend the down time upgrading to the VPII.

I will send my Vue into Davis and then make a gift of it to a worthy friend.

Offline Jace

• Yoxford Weather
« Reply #17 on: January 30, 2013, 05:35:55 AM »
Hi I had the same problem with my Vantage Vue.

This information came to me from John D of Prodata systems here in the UK who in turn got it from Brett Lane the Davis Technical Manager.

Apparently Davis carried out a Firmware modification for the ISS SIM in Oct 2011, which lowered the threshold for the battery warning from 2.8v to 2.0v. This update cannot be carried out in the field, which means it's a factory update only.

My Vue had a Manufacturing date of E110412A060 which meant it was a 'E' Vue built on the 12th May 2011, and it had a SIM F/W version of 2.1.51, so it was built before the Oct 2011 upgrade.

So it's possible that if your Vue was manufactured before the FW upgrade you may continue to get low battery warnings even when the battery is ok.

John

Offline slatrat

« Reply #18 on: March 20, 2013, 01:43:13 PM »
My Vue is a little over a year old. It's been mounted on our steep pitched roof for 9 months. Starting this week, the dreaded "low battery transmitter 1" message started appearing on the console. Then two nights ago, it started the routine of not sending data between 12:00 AM and 8:00 AM.

My question is this, has anyone had success with just replacing the battery and the situation resolving permanently?

The reason I ask, is when I mount the roof climb expedition, is it even worth it to replace the battery? Or should I pull the weather station down and send it in to Davis.

Sigh - I don't like this situation.

Offline dalecoy

• Forecaster
    • Lee's Summit, MO
« Reply #19 on: March 20, 2013, 03:26:32 PM »
People who follow the instruction manual - when you get the low battery message, replace the battery - and that's successful, consider that a normal event and do not post their (successful) results.  So, tens of thousands sold, and a handful of negative reports.

Offline killwilly

• Forecaster
« Reply #20 on: March 21, 2013, 03:59:04 AM »
My Vue is a little over a year old. It's been mounted on our steep pitched roof for 9 months. Starting this week, the dreaded "low battery transmitter 1" message started appearing on the console. Then two nights ago, it started the routine of not sending data between 12:00 AM and 8:00 AM.

My question is this, has anyone had success with just replacing the battery and the situation resolving permanently?

The reason I ask, is when I mount the roof climb expedition, is it even worth it to replace the battery? Or should I pull the weather station down and send it in to Davis.

Sigh - I don't like this situation.

Take a look at page 2 in the link below. I had the battery problem and applying the gel to the exposed contacts, did cure it for me.

The photographs were kindly posted by Rainman Weather.

http://www.wxforum.net/index.php?topic=6535.25
Alan

Offline Weather Spares

• Forecaster
    • Weather Spares
« Reply #21 on: March 22, 2013, 06:26:02 PM »
Perhaps the Vantage Vue console is running an old version of firmware. There was a problem with firmware prior to 2.14 (except below from 2.14 release notes)

• Firmware version 2.14
    Solved problem of inadvertent low transmitter battery message. It was displaying as soon as a low voltage was detected, now it will not display unless a low battery has been detected for a full 2 minutes.
    Outside humidity no longer displays 0%.
    Modified heat index table to match the algorithm used by the WeatherLink software.

The full firmware update is on the US Davis site http://www.davisnet.com/support/weather/downloads/software_frmwr.asp.
Weather Spares - your one stop shop for complete stations, accessories and spare parts for Davis Instruments, Ecowitt, Oregon Scientific, TFA, Ventus, GARNI and many more - https://www.weatherspares.co.uk/ offering global shipping of products.

Davis Vantage Pro 2 plus 24 hour FARS, Meteobridge NANO SD data logger, Davis AirLink, remote Davis anemometer rooftop mounted.
Location 95m altitude, West of Bury St Edmunds, Suffolk, UK.

Offline jmds

« Reply #22 on: March 25, 2013, 09:15:26 PM »
What brand and type of battery did you install as the replacement?  What was the voltage of the battery when you put it in?

there is a new firmware from Davis for this problem.

Offline jmds

« Reply #23 on: November 10, 2017, 07:16:20 PM »
Yesterday I removed the resin around the supercapacitor on my old ISS board and soldered 2 new 7.2 volts supercapacitor in paralell and now the unit is working like new and the LOW BATTERY TRANSMITTER 7
does not appear anymore on the console even without the 3 volts batter installed in the ISS.I did the same thing on my Vantage Pro2 about 4 years ago by soldering 3 supercapacitors in paralell and it has been going on since without 3 volts battery.

Reards:John

Offline azchrisf

• Cobra Weather Dominator Operator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #24 on: November 16, 2017, 02:22:20 AM »
7.2 volts?  :shock:
I hope that's reversed!
I have a 50f 2.7v Capacitor in mine.
Davis Vantage Pro 2 Plus 6163 w/ 8 Transmitters!
Also doing Soil and Leaf 4x
WU: KAZGLEND106 CWOP: FW1398 (F1398) Purpleair: 98793/LAZGLEND8
My setup:
https://www.wxforum.net/index.php?topic=41867.0