Author Topic: Remote solar panel for VP2  (Read 466 times)

Offline mchannum

Remote solar panel for VP2
« on: January 08, 2019, 10:52:46 AM »
I am preparing to get a VP2 setup going for an experimental rig that I am working on.  The rig has a 50' tall super structure.  My plan was to mount the anemometer at the top of the super structure.  I need to know wind conditions at the exit of the structure which is the top.  I was going to put the main ISS 4-6' off grade.  I want to know the temperature and humidity here because there is a fan that pulls air into the system at this elevation, and I need to know the air properties entering the unit.

The sun light potential is poor.  The unit is built in a courtyard with the opening facing north.  Not to mention all the shade created by this 50' tall structure.  Also, Cleveland Ohio is not a real sunny place.

I was leaning towards a cabled setup which would remove the need for relying on solar.  However, I do have some concerns about lightning and it seems like going wireless provides some nice options with being able to use different consoles and more potential connectivity options now and in the future.  If I were to go wireless, I think I would need to have the solar panel up at the top of the structure.  That way I can be above all the shade and face the panel south.  I see there is an extra solar panel kit (part 6616).  But it comes with a 4' cable, and I need like 45-50'.

Any thoughts would be much appreciated.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2019, 04:48:12 PM by mchannum »

Offline PaulMy

• Forecaster
    • KomokaWeather
Re: Remote solar panel for VP2
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2019, 11:04:03 AM »
Could AC power for wireless VP2 ISS help?  https://www.wxforum.net/index.php?topic=21119.0

Enjoy,
Paul

Offline miraculon

• Sunrise Side Weather
  • Forecaster
  • KE8DAF
    • Sunrise Side Weather in Rogers City MI USA
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2019, 11:06:43 AM »
I used a Davis solar panel to power a custom "DFARS" for a stack of VUE shields where I placed a 3V fan. This was for a special project.

I found these cable assemblies. I connected two end-to-end and put some shrink tubing over the connection.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01HH1ZQK8

They fit the Davis solar panel connector. It sounds like joining 4 or 5 of these would do the job.

Greg H.

Blitzortung Stations #706 and #1682
CoCoRaHS: MI-PI-1
CWOP: CW4114 and KE8DAF-13
WU: KMIROGER7
Amateur Radio Callsign: KE8DAF

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2019, 03:09:31 PM »
I'd check the voltage drop just to be safe.
Need low cost IP monitoring?  http://wirelesstag.net/wta.aspx?link=NisJxz6FhUa4V67/cwCRWA or PM me for 50% off Wirelesstags!!

Online Mattk

• Forecaster
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2019, 03:46:04 PM »
If you were leaning towards a cabled system then you obviously have power available? If so forget the solar and simply run with DC

Offline mchannum

« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2019, 04:47:35 PM »
Thanks for the input so far.  Sounds like plugging in a transformer inside and running a DC power line out to the ISS is a good solution.

There was one comment in the thread that was posted that seemed to indicate sometimes this solution causes a problem with the ISS.  Other than that concern I like it.  Once I have everything ordered and setup I'll post some pictures.

If anyone has anything to add, please feel free to add on.  I think I am ordering the hardware tomorrow.