Author Topic: Entry Processes  (Read 2270 times)

Offline miraculon

• Sunrise Side Weather
  • Forecaster
  • KE8DAF
    • Sunrise Side Weather in Rogers City MI USA
Entry Processes
« on: October 26, 2015, 11:09:51 AM »
Apparently I exceeded the limit of 20 "Entry Processes" on my site hosted by hosting24. I received an error page instead of my normal main page indicating that the entry processes were exceeded.

I received this response from tech support during a chat session:

The "entry process" number is how many PHP scripts you have running at a single time. Our shared hosting has a limit of 20 PHP scripts at a single time. Keep in mind an "entry process" only takes roughly a second to complete, therefore most people get it confused with how many visitors they can have on their website. A 20 limit entry process doesn't mean only 20 people can be on your website at once because the likelihood of all 20 people hitting your website at the exact same second is almost zero. If you have a low traffic website but are constantly at 20 entry processes, it means something is wrong with your scripts and they are hanging around longer than they should.

Immediately after seeing this, I looked at my Cpanel which was at 18/20 on entry processes. Shortly afterwards, it returned to 1/20.

Has anyone else ever seen something like this?

This statement: If you have a low traffic website but are constantly at 20 entry processes, it means something is wrong with your scripts and they are hanging around longer than they should. has me a bit concerned.

Greg H.

Blitzortung Stations #706 and #1682
CoCoRaHS: MI-PI-1
CWOP: CW4114 and KE8DAF-13
WU: KMIROGER7
Amateur Radio Callsign: KE8DAF

Offline ed2kayak

• Ed
  • Forecaster
  • Davis Vantage Pro2 w/12 hr FARS, solar/uv
    • Cumberland Valley Weather
Re: Entry Processes
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2015, 11:19:03 AM »
Apparently I exceeded the limit of 20 "Entry Processes" on my site hosted by hosting24. I received an error page instead of my normal main page indicating that the entry processes were exceeded.

I received this response from tech support during a chat session:

The "entry process" number is how many PHP scripts you have running at a single time. Our shared hosting has a limit of 20 PHP scripts at a single time. Keep in mind an "entry process" only takes roughly a second to complete, therefore most people get it confused with how many visitors they can have on their website. A 20 limit entry process doesn't mean only 20 people can be on your website at once because the likelihood of all 20 people hitting your website at the exact same second is almost zero. If you have a low traffic website but are constantly at 20 entry processes, it means something is wrong with your scripts and they are hanging around longer than they should.

Immediately after seeing this, I looked at my Cpanel which was at 18/20 on entry processes. Shortly afterwards, it returned to 1/20.

Has anyone else ever seen something like this?

This statement: If you have a low traffic website but are constantly at 20 entry processes, it means something is wrong with your scripts and they are hanging around longer than they should. has me a bit concerned.

Greg H.
I saw this for the first time last weekend, was out of town, so a bit more difficult to resolve by smartphone.

My provider ICDsoft replied in less then 5 minutes with similar response.

Once I could login in to my Cpanel, I killed all running tasks.

I did that because I couldn't read the small screen on my phone that well.

Anyway that fixed it, when I got home after a couple days I logged in and only had three tasks running.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2015, 09:26:16 PM by ed2kayak »
Ed
CoCoRaHS PA-CD-6,  Weather Underground KPAMECHA7, CWOP DW5425

Offline Silversword

• --Stan Y.
  • Forecaster
    • Up Country Maui Weather
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2015, 03:12:22 PM »
Hi,

I had the same issue:

Resource Limit Is Reached
The website is temporarily unable to service your request as it exceeded resource limit. Please try again later.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Apache/2.2.31 (Unix) mod_ssl/2.2.31 OpenSSL/1.0.1e-fips DAV/2 mod_bwlimited/1.4 mod_perl/2.0.8 Perl/v5.10.1 Server at www.dwayneyamato.com Port 80

Got them to reset the Entry Process and it started climbing.

We saw that a certain IP address was a possible cause:  173.245.48.85 from around SFO area.

I put that IP on the Deny entry list to see if that would help.  It might have since my entry level has leveled off a bit.

I also put a limit to the web page for a time out of 3 minutes.  This is located at: It's in ajaxWDws3.js, line 345...

,maxupdates: 0     // Maximum number of updates/fetches allowed (set to zero for unlimited)

You can see that a 0 setting means no limit. I have mine set at 36... I had it set at "0" This might seem to help also.

John G. had a similar issue as well.

How do you kill all running tasks in the cPanel? Since my Entry Process is around 6 right now.  Like to have it near zero if possible.

Regards,

--Stan Y.
   Maui, Hawaii

Stan Y. - KH6HHG - Maui, Hawaii
 --- Blitzortung ID: 993
 --- FlightRadar24 ID: F-PHOG1

WDL 6.05
MS Windows 7 Pro
Dell Optiplex GX280-Intel Pentium 4 CPU 3.00GHz, 4 GB RAM
Davis Vantage Pro 2+ Wireless
Webcam: Axis 211

Offline ed2kayak

• Ed
  • Forecaster
  • Davis Vantage Pro2 w/12 hr FARS, solar/uv
    • Cumberland Valley Weather
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2015, 09:24:43 PM »

How do you kill all running tasks in the cPanel? Since my Entry Process is around 6 right now.  Like to have it near zero if possible.

Regards,

--Stan Y.
   Maui, Hawaii

Stan,

My Cpanel has a process tab, its shows what tasks are running.
You can kill individual task or all tasks.
I only have one task currently running.
Ed
CoCoRaHS PA-CD-6,  Weather Underground KPAMECHA7, CWOP DW5425

Offline Silversword

• --Stan Y.
  • Forecaster
    • Up Country Maui Weather
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2015, 10:31:47 PM »
Hi Ed,

Thanks for the reply.  The host cPanel is a cPanel X and I do not see a process tab to show what tasks are running.  It might be there but I have not located it as of yet.  I may have to contact the host tech support if the Entry Process goes up near the 20 allotted.  Right not it is still holding at 6.

Thanks for your input and suggestion.

Regards,

--Stan Y.
   Maui, Hawaii
Stan Y. - KH6HHG - Maui, Hawaii
 --- Blitzortung ID: 993
 --- FlightRadar24 ID: F-PHOG1

WDL 6.05
MS Windows 7 Pro
Dell Optiplex GX280-Intel Pentium 4 CPU 3.00GHz, 4 GB RAM
Davis Vantage Pro 2+ Wireless
Webcam: Axis 211

Offline jgillett

• Forecaster
  • Boltek, Win7 Pro, ToA
    • TiggrWeather Phoenix
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2015, 01:40:02 PM »
I had the same problem last Friday. Looking at the list the vast majority of processes pointed to index.php, but with the only thing showing for the site is the 'Resource limit Is Reached' message I fail to understand how index.php is involved.

Used an SSH connection to kill all those processes (I, too, don't have the ability to do this from my cP) but they immediately came back with a different PID. Did that fout times until they finally stayed away - for a while. Host 'support' told me, "...to solve this problem you will either need to talk to a developer to help you optimize your site, or purchase an account that has more resources." Been with this host for 12-14 years at least. Got hold of a manager who said they would straighten out the guy who sent that.

Bottom line? They didn't find anything, but I think the server had a problem and just wasn't releasing the processes in a timely fashion. Now I have I/O hits on the ceiling and my account is still 'limited'. Also interesting that Stan and I had the same problem at exactly the same time with two completely different hosts.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2015, 01:48:19 PM by jgillett »
John
W7JKG

Offline miraculon

• Sunrise Side Weather
  • Forecaster
  • KE8DAF
    • Sunrise Side Weather in Rogers City MI USA
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2015, 02:19:30 PM »
Thus saith my host:

because the likelihood of all 20 people hitting your website at the exact same second is almost zero

What if they were not "people", but bots....

I checked the logs and there are a number of hits from SeznamBot/3.2

This chart is for the past week and it indicates that the "20" limit has been reached repeatedly.

Greg H.

Blitzortung Stations #706 and #1682
CoCoRaHS: MI-PI-1
CWOP: CW4114 and KE8DAF-13
WU: KMIROGER7
Amateur Radio Callsign: KE8DAF

Offline jgillett

• Forecaster
  • Boltek, Win7 Pro, ToA
    • TiggrWeather Phoenix
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2015, 04:46:18 PM »
Greg, attached is mine for the week.

Bots are a definite possibility. While I've been unable to find any corresponding access log entries, there were a few I added to my robots.txt yesterday. Unfortunately, most of what I already have in my long list do not bother to read that file, and they use multiple non-sequential IPs, making it a royal PITA to catch them all and put them in the .htaccess.
John
W7JKG

Offline Jáchym

• Meteotemplate Developer
  • Forecaster
    • Meteotemplate
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2015, 05:33:11 PM »
Thus saith my host:

because the likelihood of all 20 people hitting your website at the exact same second is almost zero

What if they were not "people", but bots....

I checked the logs and there are a number of hits from SeznamBot/3.2

This chart is for the past week and it indicates that the "20" limit has been reached repeatedly.

Greg H.

Interesting... "Seznam" is the most popular internet portal in Czech Republic...., the second most used search engine after Google
www.seznam.cz