Author Topic: HD Display Issue  (Read 876 times)

Offline Glenn

• Forecaster
HD Display Issue
« on: December 18, 2018, 07:51:35 PM »
This weekend, one of my HD displays started acting up. I tried power cycling the unit (let it sit unplugged for 5 minutes) and no change. I also did a factory reset with no change.

The main display looks funky. I'm sure there's a technical term, but you can see it in the pics attached. However, going to the menu screen is just fine.

Any thoughts?
Acurite 5 in 1 Pro+
Southern VT
Connecticut

Offline nincehelser

• Forecaster
Re: HD Display Issue
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2018, 08:00:04 PM »
Looks like we need to build or find a chat of all the dfferent HD models and what they look like.

All my HD Displays are Atlas and look very different in the details.

Offline Sir_MAK

« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2018, 09:35:17 AM »
I think funky sums it up nicely.

You might try switching the color theme and see if it helps.  I would guess the display needs replaced.  Hopefully it's under warranty.
Ambient WS-2000, Central Ohio - WU WC
Ambient
WS-2902, Lake Erie   -    WU WC

Offline WXman

• Stormdawg
  • Senior Contributor
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2018, 12:20:44 PM »
If you read through vendor reviews, you'll see that this is a common issue on the HD displays. 

There seems to be 3 different "looks" to these as far as how they display the data, but I believe that the TFT screen is the same in all of them.  Mine has the wind rose on the left hand side.
B.S. in Meteorology/Climatology

38.01977N, 84.83486W
Davis Vantage Pro 2 wireless station
AcuRite 5-n-1 w/ WiFi reporting to WU

Offline nincehelser

• Forecaster
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2018, 12:37:26 PM »
If you read through vendor reviews, you'll see that this is a common issue on the HD displays. 

There seems to be 3 different "looks" to these as far as how they display the data, but I believe that the TFT screen is the same in all of them.  Mine has the wind rose on the left hand side.

The Atlas displays are touch screens.  I’m not sure if any of the 5n1 are touch sensitive.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline WXman

• Stormdawg
  • Senior Contributor
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2018, 02:45:09 PM »

The Atlas displays are touch screens.  I’m not sure if any of the 5n1 are touch sensitive.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mine isn't touch screen.  The case, screen, and resolution looks identical, but it doesn't function as a touch screen.
B.S. in Meteorology/Climatology

38.01977N, 84.83486W
Davis Vantage Pro 2 wireless station
AcuRite 5-n-1 w/ WiFi reporting to WU

Offline Glenn

• Forecaster
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2018, 08:31:35 AM »
This is the screen for one of my 5 in 1 stations. Pictured is the one in Vermont. Unfortunately, the screen still looks like that a week later. It's readable, but looks really strange.

I can't figure out why the main display looks like that, but all other screens are functioning normally.
Acurite 5 in 1 Pro+
Southern VT
Connecticut

Offline worachj

• Forecaster
  • Twin Cities, Minnesota
« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2018, 09:16:08 AM »
I would think it's shot if the factory reset didn't fix it.

But as a long shot you may want to go into the “Display” sub-menu and play around with the settings (brightness, contrast,tint), display mode (screen cycle) and backlight (auto dim, sleep mode). Maybe playing around with one of those settings may reload the screen and fix it. I would really mess with the auto dim and sleep modes.

AcuRite Atlas
KMNSAINT173

Offline nincehelser

• Forecaster
« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2018, 11:01:53 AM »
If you're willing to open it up, you might check to see if all the cables are seated properly.

I remember someone once said they dropped their display and the screen stopped working.  They opened it up and found one of those very thin ribbon cables had come loose.

Offline Glenn

• Forecaster
« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2018, 12:42:52 PM »
Thank you both. I'll give those suggestions a try and report back.
Acurite 5 in 1 Pro+
Southern VT
Connecticut

anything