Author Topic: Using 2 SIM Transmitters  (Read 399 times)

Offline CGL

Using 2 SIM Transmitters
« on: November 28, 2018, 06:24:30 AM »
Is it possible to have two SIM transmitters but set on different channels working at the same time?

I want to move the main AWS but leave solar sensor where it is, because it already has a 40ft extension cable.
Or is their another way to do it?

Colin

Offline johnd

• Forecaster
    • www.weatherstations.co.uk
Re: Using 2 SIM Transmitters
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2018, 06:56:11 AM »
Is it possible to have two SIM transmitters but set on different channels working at the same time?

I think you mean ISS transmitters - all VP2 transmitters other than 6345 use the same circuit board and so are effectively SIM transmitters. But if you mean 2 transmitters each being received as an ISS at the console then the basic answer is no. (Solar/UV sensors can only be received as a transmitter configured as ISS type.)

There are always a couple of caveats to this question: One is that receiving solar data on a second SIM transmitter can be done with an Envoy8X console or a Meteobridge Pro Red unit, but neither of these is compatible with the software you're probably using at present. Mark Crossley has another solution that he might want to comment on, but again I believe it's not quite a drop-in fix for an existing data-flow.

Ah and one other caveat: It is of course possible to receive one SIM transmitter as an anemometer transmitter and have a second SIM transmitter as the ISS with T/H, rain and solar/UV attached.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2018, 06:58:54 AM by johnd »
Prodata Weather Systems
Prodata's FAQ/support site for Davis stations
Includes many details on 6313 Weatherlink console.
UK Davis Premier Dealer - All Davis stations, accessories and spares
Cambridge UK

Sorry, but I don't usually have time to help with individual issues by email unless you are a Prodata customer. Please post your issue in the relevant forum section here & I will comment there if I have anything useful to add.

Offline CGL

« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2018, 11:33:01 AM »
Thank you John, I did not completely understand your answer!

What I want to do is have one ISS transmitting temp/hum,rain and wind, and another ISS  on a different channel transmitting solar.

Offline johnd

• Forecaster
    • www.weatherstations.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2018, 11:59:03 AM »
Thank you John, I did not completely understand your answer!

What I want to do is have one ISS transmitting temp/hum,rain and wind, and another ISS  on a different channel transmitting solar.

OK, I think the piece of the jigsaw that you're missing is that there's no problem setting up two transmitters as you've suggested. The issue is that a standard VP2 console can only receive data from one ISS transmitter. Transmitting solar data is effectively an ISS transmission and transmitting temp/hum,rain and wind is then a second ISS transmission. So the standard VP2 console cannot do this - it's a limitation of the console firmware design - and so the answer is no, sorry, you cannot set up a VP2 system in this configuration.
Prodata Weather Systems
Prodata's FAQ/support site for Davis stations
Includes many details on 6313 Weatherlink console.
UK Davis Premier Dealer - All Davis stations, accessories and spares
Cambridge UK

Sorry, but I don't usually have time to help with individual issues by email unless you are a Prodata customer. Please post your issue in the relevant forum section here & I will comment there if I have anything useful to add.

Offline CGL

« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2018, 12:15:37 PM »
Thank you for that reply, perhaps the answer is to add more cable!

Offline mcrossley

• Forecaster
    • Wilmslow Astro
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2018, 01:10:29 PM »
Though, if you are prepared to delve into the world of arduino, then you could build a "relay" device as I have that listens to two transmitters and retransmits the data to the vp2 console as if it is coming from a single ISS.

I have temp/hum/rain on one ISS, and wind/solar/UV on another.
Mark