Author Topic: 40w Soft White LED Lightbulbs...??  (Read 1139 times)

Offline Intheswamp

• Early on one frosty morn'...
  • Forecaster
  • Sure...I know enough to be dangerous, now.
    • Beeweather
40w Soft White LED Lightbulbs...??
« on: October 20, 2018, 10:24:26 AM »
It seems that LEDs are gradually edging out the CFLs hanging on the racks at the miscellaneous stores.  Several years back we converted over to CFL at the church that I attend but it looks like we'll need to be moving over to LEDs sometime in the next year.  We have forty-eight 40w-equivalent bulbs that will need changing.  Thirty-six of these bulbs are in hanging light fixtures that point upwards in their individual sockets and have an open topped milk-glass type of shades around each one of them.  My description probably isn't very good so I've included a photo of them.

My concern with replacing the CFL bulbs with LED bulbs is that most of the LED bulbs that I'm seeing have the opaque base to them that houses the heatsink, circuitry, etc.,.  These bases would appear to block some light that would normally be emitted through the lower portion of a regular bulb. I know that most of the light is coming out the sides of the shades and a lot is reflecting off of the ceiling, but I'm concerned that the bulbs with the opaque bases may actually reduce the usable light.  The actual arms that hold each light socket/shade have a flared style to them so I'm thinking that some light is already being blocked.  Thus, the opaque bases of the LEDs may be inconsequential and I'm worrying over nothing.  I found some Sylvania (I think that's what they were) that are glass and apparently clear near the base and I'll be installing these in the fixtures nearest to the pulpit...they are dimmable and these fixtures are the only fixtures that are wired with a dimmer.  But, that will leave 24 bulbs needing to be replaced, plus 12 for the fans in the center aisle.  I'd like to buy all the bulbs at once (about 30 miles one-way to Lowes and about 20 miles one-way to Wallyworld) if I could and not have a second trip to return/swap them out.  I think the flared area of the light fixture where the socket is will my concerns invalid but....what do ya'll think?   Lots of talk for some light bulbs, eh???  :lol:

Here's a shot during some renovation a few years back...
IMG_9906a (Custom) by Chapel Hill, on Flickr

Davis VP2, v3.12
Cumulus v1.9.4  Build 1079
Today's weather beats no weather at all!
www.beeweather.com
www.beausandbonnets.com

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
Re: 40w Soft White LED Lightbulbs...??
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2018, 10:39:18 AM »
Get the Edison-style LEDs
Need low cost IP monitoring?  http://wirelesstag.net/wta.aspx?link=NisJxz6FhUa4V67/cwCRWA or PM me for 50% off Wirelesstags!!

Offline Intheswamp

• Forecaster
    • Beeweather
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2018, 11:03:09 AM »
Those would be nice, but the cheapest that I've found is $5 a piece...still, the longevity of them doesn't rule them out. 

I'm hoping they've got the bugs out of the LED bulbs now...they must have, since I don't see a lot of uproar over pricey bulbs going bad quickly.  The first ones I bought were some Feit that didn't give me a year's worth of service, some not even six months...I've had incandescents do much better.<sigh>  I tried the "warranty" with Feit and that was a joke...still got over a box of bad bulbs here.  Anyhow, I'll keep the Edison-style in mind, definitely something to consider.  I think what I'll do is pick up a box of regular A19 style and see if that opaque area affects things. 

It used to be so simple...just go pick up a cheap box of bulbs and swap them out as needed...didn't even have to worry about color temperature.  But, the energy savings are considerable in regards to both finances and the environment.

Thanks for the feedback!!! 

Davis VP2, v3.12
www.beeweather.com
www.beausandbonnets.com

Offline miraculon

• Sunrise Side Weather
  • Forecaster
  • KE8DAF
    • Sunrise Side Weather in Rogers City MI USA
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2018, 12:46:13 PM »
I bought the Philips "60W" all glass LED bulbs. I have been pleased with them. The were $16.58 for 6 ($2.76 / Piece). (dang, the price went up since I ordered them... :mad:)
According to the Philips web site, they offer 40W.
https://www.usa.philips.com/c-m-li/classic-glass-led
The are not dimmable however. If the other 24 bulbs don't need to be dimmable, then the Philips bulbs might work. I got mine from Amazon. Amazon has the 40W also.

Greg H.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2018, 12:47:47 PM by miraculon »

Blitzortung Stations #706 and #1682
CoCoRaHS: MI-PI-1
CWOP: CW4114 and KE8DAF-13
WU: KMIROGER7
Amateur Radio Callsign: KE8DAF

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2018, 01:14:10 PM »
I tested and researched a lot of brands. My favorite is Cree. They sell Cree at Home Depot and Amazon.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Cree-40W-Equivalent-Soft-White-2700K-A19-Dimmable-Exceptional-Light-Quality-LED-Light-Bulb-2-Pack-TA19-04527MDFH25-12DE26-1-12/304006412

A few factors are important in choosing the right bulb. Many people ignore the color of the light output, also referred to as the temperature in Kelvin of the color. A regular incandescent bulb is 2700K. So I look for an LED that is also 2700K. A lot of CFL bulbs or probably the majority I've ever seen used were too white (temperature in K was too high) and produced an unnatural light compared to an incandescent. You don't want your home or church to feel like an office building. Using 2700K bulbs makes it feel warm and cozy and is more relaxing. I wouldn't worry about the base design as the light is dispersed evenly. At least it is with Cree bulbs.

The other thing to consider is the CRI index number. This is the Color Rendering Index which is how accurate the light is at reproducing an ambience where things retain their natural real color. The higher the CRI the better with 100 being perfect. A CRI above 90 is really good for an LED.

Cree is probably the best LED manufacturer. My tactical flashlights even have Cree LEDs. In case anyone is wondering my favorite flashlight company is Fenix (all models use Cree) and I have different size models for different uses.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2018, 01:30:42 PM by galfert »
Ecowitt GW1000 | Meteobridge on Raspberry Pi
WU: KFLWINTE111  |  PWSweather: KFLWINTE111
CWOP: FW3708  |  AWEKAS: 14814
Windy: pws-f075acbe
Weather Underground Issue Tracking
Tele-Pole

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
    • Valentine Nebraska's Real-Time Weather
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2018, 01:37:29 PM »
Cree are what I have too. It depends what part of the house what temperature I look for. Cooler for kitchen bathrooms and warmer dining, bedrooms, living rooms.
Randy

Offline WA4TM

« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2018, 07:20:45 PM »
Since we are on the subject of light bulbs, Does anyone know if the "daylight" LED bulbs are any good as "grow lights"?

I have a bunch of house plants that have to come inside in the winter months, and by the time they can go back out in the spring they are getting in pretty bad shape from the lack of light... 

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
    • Conditions @ CW2274 West Tucson-Painted Hills Ranch
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2018, 07:43:59 PM »
In case anyone is wondering my favorite flashlight company is Fenix (all models use Cree) and I have different size models for different uses.
I have two rechargeable Fenix's, both ran about $100, but another case of you get what you pay for. I've never had two better flashlights, not even close. Fantastic color temp for relaying detail back to your eyes!
When you turn these on, they work. =D&gt;

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
    • Valentine Nebraska's Real-Time Weather
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2018, 08:44:18 PM »
Since we are on the subject of light bulbs, Does anyone know if the "daylight" LED bulbs are any good as "grow lights"?

I have a bunch of house plants that have to come inside in the winter months, and by the time they can go back out in the spring they are getting in pretty bad shape from the lack of light...

https://www.dormgrow.com/growth/
Randy

Offline Intheswamp

• Forecaster
    • Beeweather
« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2018, 12:49:02 AM »
Yup, I'm looking at 2700k for these.  Thanks for the lead on the Cree LEDs.  Back before LEDs came on the scene in a big way my BIL and I were soldering leds and resistors in 1156 bases to use in an old camper and refurbing flashlights with LEDs.  Back then, though, the whitest ones still had a fairly strong blue tint to them.  Later when the whites came out it was amazing to us.  We'd even mount them on RC airplanes and fly (or try to fly) at night.<grin>  Now it seems like LEDs are in everything!!!

I think I'm going to look closer at the Crees.  It will be a long-time investment so quality is a good thing.  I would think, though, that technology has allowed some of the competition to gain some ground on Cree...??? 

Thanks for pointing out the CRI, galfert.  I take photos at church, miscellaneous functions, baptisms, etc., and that will be *very* nice.  Currently I'm working with three different lights...incandescent (in baptistry and in pulpit), florescent (in the nave), and of course daylight coming in through the windows during the day.  Makes for some interesting color adjusting at times!!!  #-o   Maybe this will get us on the road to color temperature unity.  :grin:

Thanks for all the feedback, I appreciate it!!!

Davis VP2, v3.12
www.beeweather.com
www.beausandbonnets.com

Offline DaleReid

• Forecaster
    • Weather at Eau Claire, WI
« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2018, 05:20:22 PM »
Does one of you guys know, how do LEDs which are basically diodes which emit at one frequency of light, produce white light?  In some of the indoor types with a traditional looking light bulb shape, the LED diode actually excites a phosphor, similar to the process used by fluorescent bulbs.  That's why they can be seen dimming down over a few seconds once you flip the switch off.

But the diodes used in flashlights and the outdoor flood lights with visible diodes on a matrix, don't seem to have this secondary light producing effect.

Just wondering if they mix a whole bunch of different colored diodes, which combines to make white-appearing light?
ECWx.info
&
ECWx.info/t/index.php

Offline WeatherHost

• Forecaster
« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2018, 05:24:30 PM »
at the church that I attend but it looks like we'll need to be moving over to LEDs sometime in the next year.  We have forty-eight 40w-equivalent bulbs that will need changing.

Just for giggles, you might want to contact one of the manufacturers to see if they'd donate a case.  Offer to promote them in your newsletter, etc.

Or maybe even one of the larger electrical or lighting supply houses in your area.

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2018, 05:32:48 PM »
One of two ways Dale:

Using a blue LED with a phosphor coating to convert blue light to white light by a process called fluorescence.

Combining red, blue and green LEDs to produce white light. White light is produced by varying the intensities of the individual red, blue and green chips.
Need low cost IP monitoring?  http://wirelesstag.net/wta.aspx?link=NisJxz6FhUa4V67/cwCRWA or PM me for 50% off Wirelesstags!!

anything