Author Topic: Atlas Lightning Sensor Vs. Stand Alone Lightning Sensor?  (Read 20600 times)

Offline SkellyCA

Atlas Lightning Sensor Vs. Stand Alone Lightning Sensor?
« on: September 28, 2018, 10:11:55 PM »
Right now I have a 5-in-1, so I bought a stand alone lightning sensor. I ordered an Atlas just now, should be here in a couple days.

I see that people are having issues with the lightning sensor on the Atlas.

Is the sensor on the Atlas the same as on the stand alone?

I've had a few issues with the stand alone but it seems mostly ok. First day I had it, it showed 256 strikes. I live in the SF Bay Area, we don't get that all year. Mostly though no strikes

Also, if it is a battery issue, I ordered the external battery pack. So that seems like that would solve the battery issue?
If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up to much room.

Offline nincehelser

• Forecaster
Re: Atlas Lightning Sensor Vs. Stand Alone Lightning Sensor?
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2018, 11:03:28 PM »
Right now I have a 5-in-1, so I bought a stand alone lightning sensor. I ordered an Atlas just now, should be here in a couple days.

I see that people are having issues with the lightning sensor on the Atlas.

Is the sensor on the Atlas the same as on the stand alone?

I've had a few issues with the stand alone but it seems mostly ok. First day I had it, it showed 256 strikes. I live in the SF Bay Area, we don't get that all year. Mostly though no strikes

Also, if it is a battery issue, I ordered the external battery pack. So that seems like that would solve the battery issue?

I'm not 100% positive, but I think they are all based on the AS3935 chip.

Acurite actually has 3 lightning detection devices now.  One is a little belt-clip thing for golfing and other outdoor sports.  Another is the lightning temp/humidity detector that came with some 5n1 kits.  Now we have the Atlas module.

In my experience somethings these things are just fussy depending upon what man-made electrical noise is going on around you.

The Atlas devices have been performing well for me on the Farm and in the TX suburb of Round Rock.  Except for the wonky electric fence systems, all alerts have been useful and tie directly into a passing storm.

Offline WonderWX

« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2018, 06:24:04 AM »
I'm going to try walking around my area with the belt clip model 02020 to see if I can identify the source of the false readings on the atlas detector

Offline wase4711

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2018, 05:24:24 PM »
I've gotten 139 lightning strikes today in the sunny Phoenix desert! ](*,)

Offline WonderWX

« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2018, 06:08:52 PM »
I've gotten 139 lightning strikes today in the sunny Phoenix desert! ](*,)

1,926 lighting strikes in 9 hours  #-o 
« Last Edit: September 29, 2018, 06:12:13 PM by WonderWX »

Offline Mirwin275

• Senior Contributor
  • AcuRite Atlas (wind ext. & lightning detector)
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2018, 07:29:40 PM »
I currently have alkaline batteries in my Atlas and recorded 45 lightning strikes today. It was sunny today with a few passing clouds later in the day. Here is a comparison of the lightning strikes and the light intensity throughout the day. [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]

Offline worachj

• Forecaster
  • Twin Cities, Minnesota
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2018, 07:57:25 PM »
I wonder what would happen if you opened the rain bucket and unplugged the solar cable from the unit.

AcuRite Atlas
KMNSAINT173

Offline MacGarage

• SW Ohio
  • Senior Contributor
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2018, 10:43:11 PM »
My false lightning strikes also seem to be related to the sun (on sunny days) but there is also a noticeable increase in reports the warmer it is.

Today was very cool so a much lower number of false reports.
Ecowitt WH2320E
AcuRite Atlas

Offline WonderWX

« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2018, 12:12:34 PM »
Nothing detected by the 02020 in the past couple of hours since I powered it up, but Atlas strike alerts still coming fast and furious in on the display and in the myacurite feed. It is overcast with some rain today but certainly not this much lightning possible, and it definitely isn't sunny

Data looks like:
strikecount=4992
last_strike_ts=2018-09-30T15:07:41
last_strike_distance=1
strikecount=5010
last_strike_ts=2018-09-30T15:12:50
last_strike_distance=1
strikecount=5030
last_strike_ts=2018-09-30T15:17:58
last_strike_distance=1
strikecount=5045
last_strike_ts=2018-09-30T15:22:35
last_strike_distance=4
strikecount=5063
last_strike_ts=2018-09-30T15:27:43
last_strike_distance=1
strikecount=5081
last_strike_ts=2018-09-30T15:32:20
last_strike_distance=1
strikecount=5095
last_strike_ts=2018-09-30T15:35:56
last_strike_distance=1
strikecount=5141
last_strike_ts=2018-09-30T15:48:14
last_strike_distance=4
strikecount=5159
last_strike_ts=2018-09-30T15:52:51
last_strike_distance=4

No distance more than 5 yet.

Atlas is currently running on Energizer Ultimate Lithium, though a steady stream of strikes were showing when replaced with alkaline.

:?: :?:

Offline DoctorKnow

• Forecaster
« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2018, 01:07:07 PM »
Can you disconnect the aspiration fan in the Atlas and see if the lightning strikes stop? I have never had an issue with mine like what you guys are seeing. Maybe a batch of noizy motors got installed?

Offline John Z

« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2018, 01:24:54 PM »
Maybe just block the solar cells. That would stop the motor without yanking any connections.

Offline wase4711

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2018, 01:39:13 PM »
Can you disconnect the aspiration fan in the Atlas and see if the lightning strikes stop? I have never had an issue with mine like what you guys are seeing. Maybe a batch of noizy motors got installed?
I got on a ladder yesterday and listened to my fan/sensor array, at it wasnt loud at all; using alkaline batteries as well, no lithium either..this is a flaw in the lightning sensor, and Acurite's lame attempt of blaming the type of batteries is just an admission that they have no clue what is causing this..hopefully it gets fixed going forward..

Offline WonderWX

« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2018, 01:56:41 PM »
electrically noisy motor is possible, however strikes kept being recorded at night (lux=0) so the solar panels would not be generating any voltage to drive the fan.  overall  I am liking the Atlas, glad some lightning modules are working properly, there is hope to resolve this issue.

Offline wase4711

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #13 on: September 30, 2018, 02:03:14 PM »
sure, there is always hope, but, until Acurite admits this is a device problem, and not a "battery" issue, not much will get solved..

Offline nincehelser

• Forecaster
« Reply #14 on: September 30, 2018, 03:38:22 PM »
sure, there is always hope, but, until Acurite admits this is a device problem, and not a "battery" issue, not much will get solved..

The first-line support folks are just following a required script. 

They start with suspecting the batteries, and suggest dropping back down to alkalines if lithiums are being used.

That's just the way they've been doing it for years, and I doubt they will change anytime soon.

If you don't tell them you've swapped the batteries with fresh alkalines, your case will likely stagnate.

Outside of that, do you have another lightning detecting device to confirm you're not just picking up man-made noise?

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]

Offline wase4711

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #15 on: September 30, 2018, 04:06:25 PM »
no, unfortunately I dont have another device to compare it to..and, since many others notice the same issue, I have to believe its a product/firmware flaw, and not user oriented..
Also, I noticed my barometer reading on the out side sensor is 28.37, and inside on the display, and everywhere else around phoenix now its around 29.93, so thats a bit concerning..

Offline nincehelser

• Forecaster
« Reply #16 on: September 30, 2018, 04:23:01 PM »
no, unfortunately I dont have another device to compare it to..and, since many others notice the same issue, I have to believe its a product/firmware flaw, and not user oriented..
Also, I noticed my barometer reading on the out side sensor is 28.37, and inside on the display, and everywhere else around phoenix now its around 29.93, so thats a bit concerning..

???

There is no barometer on the outside sensor.   The baro sensors are in the displays and in the Access or SmartHUB.  Putting the baro sensor in the outdoor suite isn't very common.

The display isn't going to show a reasonable baro reading for about 2 weeks due to the "learning period". 

I suppose there could have been a bad batch of lightning sensors, but I'm not hearing much about it on Facebook.

Friday I put up a brand-new Atlas and caught a nice lightning curve as a storm passed through on Saturday:

Offline wase4711

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #17 on: September 30, 2018, 04:40:48 PM »
there are big storms forecast for phoenix area the next 2-3 days, so I will be curious to see what the lightning strike count will be where there are actual lightning strikes, not imaginary ones like I now show 379 of in the last 24 hours, during bright, sunny days

too bad Acurite doesnt have an actual forum or live support anymore so someone could actually talk to their customers about this..
« Last Edit: September 30, 2018, 04:42:48 PM by wase4711 »

Offline nincehelser

• Forecaster
« Reply #18 on: October 01, 2018, 08:21:35 AM »
too bad Acurite doesnt have an actual forum or live support anymore so someone could actually talk to their customers about this..

Live chat is available during normal business hours.  Many are getting in touch with their official FaceBook page.

Then there's always email.

Offline wase4711

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #19 on: October 01, 2018, 09:54:35 AM »
as a consumer products company, not having a live person via phone that you can contact is very suspect

tons of people, myself included wouldn't touch Face Junk with a 10 foot pole, and, still more dont have a clue about having a live chat..
Those are all things you use, IN ADDITION to having some live human beings to talk to, not to supplant that..

Offline MacGarage

• SW Ohio
  • Senior Contributor
« Reply #20 on: October 01, 2018, 09:58:36 AM »
I am hoping the lightning issue does not turn out like the Access dropping connection issue (I had that). As result, I kept my box and will see if it is fixed before my Amazon Prime return window closes. The number strikes do go down to zero when cooler but that does not help in AZ!
Ecowitt WH2320E
AcuRite Atlas

Offline wase4711

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #21 on: October 01, 2018, 10:10:12 AM »
I am hoping the lightning issue does not turn out like the Access dropping connection issue (I had that). As result, I kept my box and will see if it is fixed before my Amazon Prime return window closes. The number strikes do go down to zero when cooler but that does not help in AZ!

my thoughts exactly...26 more days to see what transpires..

Offline SkellyCA

« Reply #22 on: October 01, 2018, 10:59:29 AM »
With all the beta testing they did(what was it about 2 years?), one would think this issue would have come up and they would have fixed it?

I live in the SF Bay Area. I'll be mounting my Atlas Wednesday or Thursday. I'm waiting on the wind extension and battery pack.

Since I will have the external battery pack, my batteries will be about 20' away from the sensor, so that should eliminate the batteries from the equation?

I'll also leave my stand alone lightning sensor up for a while so I can compare the two.
If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up to much room.

Offline worachj

• Forecaster
  • Twin Cities, Minnesota
« Reply #23 on: October 01, 2018, 11:06:37 AM »
I feel for you guys with the problem! Trying to figure if it’s a hardware or environmental problem can’t be easy. I’m guessing its hardware problem which the user should never have to debug.

Someone on this board suggested that the solar panel and inverter may be the cause of the false readings. Has anyone tried opening the rain bucket and unplugging the wiring harness attach to the solar stuff from the unit? It may be a way of identifying if that is the cause of a hardware problem.

AcuRite Atlas
KMNSAINT173

Offline wase4711

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #24 on: October 01, 2018, 11:31:20 AM »
I feel for you guys with the problem! Trying to figure if it’s a hardware or environmental problem can’t be easy. I’m guessing its hardware problem which the user should never have to debug.

Someone on this board suggested that the solar panel and inverter may be the cause of the false readings. Has anyone tried opening the rain bucket and unplugging the wiring harness attach to the solar stuff from the unit? It may be a way of identifying if that is the cause of a hardware problem.

The End users should not have to be the ones troubleshooting/problem solving for a brand new, years in the making new product..this should have been done before this product was released. After all, it wasnt rushed to market in any way shape or form, and allegedly went through a long term beta testing program