Author Topic: Ambient Weather WS-1001-WiFi Clone not connecting to AmbientWeather.net  (Read 1636 times)

Offline stretch4x4

Hi all,

Just setting up my weather station again after a move and realised that ambientweather now have their own dashboard, which is cool.

I realised I am also quite a few firmware versions behind since my last update so got to work sorting that out.
All went well getting to 2.4.6 and I could see the settings for the ambientweather server refresh!

The only issue was that my unit is a Maxkon Aussie clone so I needed to update the frequency back to 433M to get my sensors back online. Now I can get wunderground set up no worries but no longer have the ambient weather option!

After lots of upgrading and downgrading I have figured out that as soon as I change the frequency I loose the option to push data to ambient weather :(

Does anyone know if this is deliberate or a bug? Or if there is any work around?
I don't really need it but ITTT integration sounded like a useful feature, but after wasting a few hours tonight, thinking I should just get my settings right again and leave it alone..

Cheers

Offline Transporterman

• Senior Contributor
I don't know much about it but when I tried to get my UK WS1001 clone on to Ambient's platform it didn't want to know.  I eventually got an email back from them saying that they only support units broadcasting with the MHz that the original/genuine WS1001 works on. 

I'm probably not up to changing the frequency of mine (if that's what you did) anyway but I would like to see something more flexible (MPH for wind but temperatures in Celsius) which the console itself has but not Wunderground.  Plus they are getting so unreliable.  If you do find a way of using Ambient's platform please let us know.  :grin:

Offline stretch4x4

Yes that was always my fear, (I didn't know my unit was a clone when I bought it, I just got it in Australia) but I can understand them not wanting to support them.

At this stage I haven't taken a further look at it, I wasted enough time that weekend and decided to stick with wunderground for now. Will try to remember to post here if I ever get back to it.

Offline Paraglider

Hello! Who was able to upload data to the ambientweather.net website from the clone WS-1002? I have a clone Misol HP-2000

Offline Mandrake

• Forecaster
I think you are out of luck as Ambient have a policy now of only allowing genuine Ambient weather stations on to their platform. I believe that they police this by MAC address so no amount of using Ambient firmware would help.

However all is not lost!
There is a new kid in town. Fine Offset in Hong Kong is working closely with a  sister company called Ecowitt. They are now direct marketing the Fine Offset products and sensors. They are offering the latest kit and have just launched a Ecowitt.net which is running newer web software than Ambient. This is probably a much better solution for those of us not US based anyway.

If you purchase a GW-1000 logger, this little device will read your remote sensors and upload the data to Weather underground and Ecowitt.net etc
So this additional gizmo solves your problem and you don't need to run Ambient firmware on your console.
If you look through the threads you can see many postings about those of us who have this logger. In addition once you have the logger you can add extra sensors like soil moisture or air quality which your original old console cannot support.

See http:\\www.ecowitt.com
Amazon
or drop Lucy an e-mail  at sales@ecowitt.com
G1ZFO

Ecowitt HP2551A + WH65 Tri-Wing (Wunderground: IGUILDFO67)
Ecowitt GW1000 (Wunderground: IGUILDFO68)
Ecowitt GW1000 (Mk2) test environment driving CumulusMX on a RPi 3b
Ecowitt GW2000 (Test)
Ecowitt WS90 Wittboy - Test
Ecowitt WH51 (x6) Soil Moisture Sensor
Ecowitt WH41 PM2.5 AQM Sensor
Ecowitt WH31 (x8) Thermo/Hygro Sensor
Ecowitt WS80 Ultrasonic Anemometer (pre-prod test)
Ecowitt WH57 Lightning Sensor -test
Ecowitt WH32-EP (SHT35) + Davis 7714 Screen
Ecowitt WH45 CO2/PM2.5/PM10 -Test
Ecowitt WN34 Soil Temp Sensor -Test
Ecowitt WN34 Water Temp Sensor -Test
Ecowitt WN35 Leaf Moisture

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
Yes what Mandrake said.... But there are several differences between Ecowitt.net and AmbientWeather.net. Ecowitt.net does not yet have integration with IFTTT nor Google Assistant nor Amazon Alexa. Ecowitt.net also does not have data down capabilities. Ecowitt.net does not have a published API so 3rd party software options do not work like; Saratoga Weather Template, WordPress Weather Station, and a Python script to publish data to CWOP are all some examples that have come out to use Ambientweather.net.

Ecowitt has said they are working on adding an API to enable these features. But it will be a long time (no schedule nor ETA for what that means.) Even if Ecowitt comes out with their API you'll still be reliant on these 3rd party developers to update their offerings to tie into Ecowitt.net.

However Ecowitt.net does have a map (no Ambientweather.net map) and nicer looking layout than Ambientweather.net as in some ways it does look like newer version of the same service. Also selecting a previous date to look at  is easier with Ecowitt.net because it has a calendar for date selection rather than an awkward forwards and back buttons.

How to upload to AmbientWeather.net from any Fine Offset clone station

But if you really want Ambientweather.net now there is a way to get it to work. All you need is one of two solutions. You need an ObserverIP (or similar device) with a Meteobridge that has added Ambient license. Or you need and ObserverIP (or similar device) with a WeatherBridge. A WeatherBridge is basically A Meteobridge that already has the required Ambientweather.net license and is sold by Ambient Weather. However you can build your own Meteobridge and then add the Ambientweather.net license ($150). So these are two solutions that amount to basically the same thing, just different ways to end up with the same solution. Since this device has no frequency as it gets data from your ObserverIP (or similar device) it will work with your setup that is a non Ambient branded clone of a Fine Offset station (Maplin, Aercus, Conrad, Froggit, Misol...etc). So this is a solution for whatever frequency you have as it won't matter. Now you can't just order an Ambient ObserverIP as that only comes with 915 MHz. So you need an Aercus WeatherLogger which is basically the same thing but uses 433 MHz. Even if you have a different branded 433 MHz station the Aercus will work. Or maybe your branded reseller has this device to sell you. But if you need 868 MHz or you can't buy the Aercus or similar from your reseller then you can buy the Ecowitt version with any frequency you specify.

* UPDATE - March 2020 - Ambientweather.net license for Meteobridge has new lower price, now just $100

Outdoor sensor array > ObserverIP (or similar device w/ your frequency) > WeatherBridge (or Meteobridge w/ Ambient license add-on) > Ambientweather.net

* The ObserverIP (or similar device) also requires a WH32B or similar device with your frequency to give you barometric pressure (and indoor temperature and humidity). This is usually sold with the ObserverIP (or similar device) as a set but you need to be sure. You need this part. It is not optional.

It may seem like a crazy investment to just get your station data over to AmbientWeather.net....but there is a whole lot more gained by having a Meteobridge or WeatherBridge. You can then do an incredible amount of extra things with your station. You can publish to just about every online weather service known (I'm sending data to 10 online services...but there are yet others that I don't send to). Some of these are the popular CWOP, PWSweather, AWEKAS, WeatherCloud, MetOffice WOW, and of course WU and many others. You can use it to send data to your own website with many different available popular templates. You can send your data to SQL database for safe keeping of your data as a backup or for future use or for use in your own analysis or for future software import. You can send data over to Weather-Display software. You can use it to send your camera to WU and to Meteobridge's servers for then hosting at other places (with embedded weather data). It is also a great way to have remote access giving you a remote console anywhere without dealing with router ports and it is an encrypted https connection. Add custom triggers to send email and/or Twitter. So you gain the capabilities of having a very powerful weather station.

Realize you can have both Ambientweather.net AND Ecowitt.net at the same time as I do. All you need is to also have an Ecowitt GW1000 (which you order with your frequency.)

Outdoor sensor array > Ecowitt GW1000 > Ecowitt.net

« Last Edit: March 27, 2020, 09:44:07 AM by galfert »
Ecowitt GW1000 | Meteobridge on Raspberry Pi
WU: KFLWINTE111  |  PWSweather: KFLWINTE111
CWOP: FW3708  |  AWEKAS: 14814
Windy: pws-f075acbe
Weather Underground Issue Tracking
Tele-Pole

anything