Author Topic: Weatherlink.com 2.0 announced  (Read 1716 times)

Offline johnd

• Forecaster
    • www.weatherstations.co.uk
Re: Weatherlink.com 2.0 announced
« Reply #50 on: December 05, 2017, 10:21:17 AM »
As I understand this correctly, the data is only uploaded once every hour to WeatherLink.Com 2.0

Where's the facepalm emoji gone? I think I need to use it several times over!

As far as I'm aware, nothing has changed in 2.0 re upload intervals from WLC1.0.

1. AFAICR it has always been the case since wl.com was introduced that archive data packets are uploaded hourly (except for Connect and EM where each data plan interval upload effectively becomes the archive packet).

2. 'Current conditions' data packets are something different for USB and IP loggers. I suspect that their format is similar to if not identical to LOOP packets, but AFAIK Davis haven't publicly disclosed their format. Not that it matters, because these packets are still uploaded every minute, with updates reflected in the Bulletin/dashboard presentation.

As I mentioned upthread, download of archive packets into local Weatherlink still works fine with 2.0 (even for EM stations amazingly enough, though with data restricted to ISS data for obvious reasons). But whether the XML API is still there I don't know - it never was part of the official API in the same way as web download, ie XML is not mentioned in the Serial Tech Ref document.

Edit: I've just checked a live site and the XML still does seem to be there, except obviously you need to use DID in place of user/station name as is the case for all 2.0 downloads.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2017, 11:06:20 AM by johnd »
Prodata Weather Systems
Prodata's dedicated Davis EnviroMonitor website
UK Davis Premier Dealer - All Davis stations, accessories and spares
Littleport, Ely, Cambs UK

Offline Aardvark

• Forecaster
  • www.desmoinesweather.org
    • Des Moines Iowa Weather and Climate
« Reply #51 on: December 05, 2017, 10:24:58 AM »
I am going to sit back, wait and see what happens.   
Speculating isn't going to solve anything for me.  I do see that Weatherlink software isn't going to be updated.  Iuse that for selecting transcievers on the envoys.  So i am guessing that Davis is going to migrate their product line eventually to somehting more like their new stuff.
Davis VP2 Plus; 24h  FARS; Extra Temp Humid sensor (2); Extra Temp Station (2); Soil Moisture/Temp Station;Weatherlink IP;USB; MAC Sierra; Bloomsky 2 ;https://map.bloomsky.com/weather-stations/faBiuZWsnpW6n6il
http://www.desmoinesweather.org
[img]http://banners.wunderground.com/cgi-bin/banner/ban/wxBanner?bannertype=pws250_both&weatherstationcount=KIADESMI1\

Offline johnd

• Forecaster
« Reply #52 on: December 05, 2017, 10:29:09 AM »
Speculating isn't going to solve anything for me.

What speculation? Pretty much everything is known now, other than the migration dates for existing WLC1.0 users and the final new 2.0 API format (there's only a provisional one as yet).
Prodata Weather Systems

Offline VaJim

• Virginia Beach Backyard Weather
  • Forecaster
« Reply #53 on: December 05, 2017, 12:05:53 PM »
I presume this applies only to existing weatherlink.com users - i.e. users free with weatherlinkIP or other WL users who have a paid prescription to weatherlink.com.  Is that correct?

Remember this is going to happen in two phases:

Phase I: New registrants to wl.com will see v2, but existing users will continue as is;

Phase II: Existing users will be migrated across to v2 by June 2018, maybe sooner;

This is reasonably sensible and understandable I think. Accommodating only new users to start with will allow numbers to slowly build up and Davis can judge server loads etc etc. And the migration process possibly isn't totally finished and tested as yet; and even when it is, it's still probably prudent to move existing users across in batches.

One of the things that's not 100% clear as yet (to me at least) is how (local) Weatherlink users who don't currently upload to wl.com can start to take advantage of their new apparently free access to wl.com Basic. There's a small process to be explained hereabout exactly how this will work and maybe it won't happen for a bit yet, but once that's done then I've not seen anything to suggest that everyone running local WL won't be able to upload for free to wl.com, at least within the limitations of the Basic plan.

These details might become clearer later in the week.

Is Davis planning on sending out an email to current users as to what to do and what not to do?

Offline johnd

• Forecaster
« Reply #54 on: December 05, 2017, 12:21:06 PM »
Is Davis planning on sending out an email to current users as to what to do and what not to do?

You'll need to ask Davis, but I'd guess that there'll be a Weather Club newsletter highlighting WLC2.0 circulated sometime soon.

But really there's not much new to learn or to know. Newly registered users will see the 2.0 site while existing users will need to await migration in a few months' time. For anyone who's used Weatherlink for Windows then the features and online structure of 2.0 (Bulletin/Data/Chart etc) will be familiar but in a much-improved presentation.
Prodata Weather Systems

Offline VaJim

• Forecaster
« Reply #55 on: December 05, 2017, 12:39:03 PM »

You'll need to ask Davis, but I'd guess that there'll be a Weather Club newsletter highlighting WLC2.0 circulated sometime soon.

But really there's not much new to learn or to know. Newly registered users will see the 2.0 site while existing users will need to await migration in a few months' time. For anyone who's used Weatherlink for Windows then the features and online structure of 2.0 (Bulletin/Data/Chart etc) will be familiar but in a much-improved presentation.

Thanks ...as a current user (many years), I was able to create a 'new' account (different name) but the data is not there.  I guess that will come as they migrate my station/data.  Still viewable under the old version.

Offline PaulMy

• Forecaster
    • KomokaWeather
« Reply #56 on: December 05, 2017, 02:02:28 PM »
I have no issue with how weatherlink.com works for me https://www.weatherlink.com/bulletin/a3a3c5e7-b8bd-4910-ba3a-f6ad6e1f09d1, especially as it is free, if I could just get Weatherlink software to run along with Cumulus to have regular WL data.  I just stopped Cumulus and ran WL and after a little time the weather station was downloaded by WL and pretty well immediately my weatherlink.com dashboard bulletin data and map were updated with my 10 min logging interval.  I could like it!

I'll soon stop WL and restart Cumulus, so unfortunately the weatherlink.com data will then be stale.

Enjoy,
Paul

Offline Mattk

• Forecaster
« Reply #57 on: December 05, 2017, 03:34:33 PM »
Does appear a little confusion in the understanding between the data archive interval and the live data? Nothing has really changed in this regard between V1 & V2 and not sure what all the misunderstanding is about? 

Offline drew

• Florence AL Conditions
« Reply #58 on: December 05, 2017, 08:19:47 PM »
The data ARCHIVE is uploaded every 60 minutes. The current conditions are still updated every 1 minute. Iím on WL 2.0 as the North Florence, Alabama station. Check out my weather bulletin to see the conditions change every 60 seconds.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
-Drew Richards
Davis Vantage Vue & Acurite 5in1
Win 7
http://shoalsweather.net/