Author Topic: reporting times  (Read 2809 times)

Offline okieman98

• Contributor
  • new and learning
reporting times
« on: October 30, 2017, 03:33:02 PM »
is there anyway to speed up reporting times on the 5 and 1, never get high wind gust, i know this has given some of us some grief,
really wish i hada live feed on that part 

PWS ID HEALDTON

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
Re: reporting times
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2017, 03:46:23 PM »
The 5-1 reports wind every 18 seconds.  No way to change that AFAIK.
Need low cost IP monitoring?  http://wirelesstag.net/wta.aspx?link=NisJxz6FhUa4V67/cwCRWA or PM me for 50% off Wirelesstags!!

Offline BeaverMeadow

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2017, 04:28:39 PM »
Wind reporting with the ACURITE 5 in 1 (and/or the accompanying software and links) gives me some grief. If ACURITE hopes to capture any market portion of serious hobbyists (not to mention pros), they had better deal with their reporting problems when their ELITE line comes out.

For example: I get totally different results reported to MYACURITE, WU, and the Acurite HD display. Gusts are often missed, wind speeds for the same time are never in concurrence, and averages are almost always different.

Not good when one is attempting to measure something with some degree of consistency and accuracy.

The ATLAS ELITE is supposed to report wind speed with update intervals of 2 seconds. It seems this could resolve a lot of issues IF the display and the link connections to MyAcurite and WU exhibit consistent results.

Offline okieman98

• Contributor
  • new and learning
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2017, 06:16:59 PM »
i agree with that, have already been looking at other stations. really for that fact, maybe just anemometer i can inter-grade with my system somehow

PWS ID HEALDTON

Offline NinnJinn

« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2017, 09:06:06 PM »
FWIW,

According to Acurite support forums. 

AcuRite does not record wind gusts.

Wind Gust:
A sudden, brief increase in the speed of the wind followed by a lull. Gusts are reported when the peak speed reaches at least 18 mph (30 km/h) and the variation in wind speed between peaks and lulls is at least about 10 mph (17 km/h).

Offline nincehelser

• Forecaster
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2017, 09:29:39 PM »
FWIW,

According to Acurite support forums. 

AcuRite does not record wind gusts.

Wind Gust:
A sudden, brief increase in the speed of the wind followed by a lull. Gusts are reported when the peak speed reaches at least 18 mph (30 km/h) and the variation in wind speed between peaks and lulls is at least about 10 mph (17 km/h).

But that's the gust definition that Acurite is currently using.

"Gusts" are pretty much whatever the coder of the software/firmware says they are.  Seems like everybody has their own definition these days.  Acurite is currently using the above definition from the NWS, and they're finding it's so strict that folks think it isn't working.

What is definitely true is that "myAcurite" doesn't graph or report wind gust data.   However, gust data is sent to wunderground by the SmartHUB according to the NWS definition.

Offline nincehelser

• Forecaster
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2017, 09:35:52 PM »
For example: I get totally different results reported to MYACURITE, WU, and the Acurite HD display. Gusts are often missed, wind speeds for the same time are never in concurrence, and averages are almost always different.

Not good when one is attempting to measure something with some degree of consistency and accuracy.

They are all using the same data from the sensor, but they're using different time periods and averaging.

Unless they all use the same definitions and timing, they're never going to be exactly the same.

Offline BeaverMeadow

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2017, 12:04:36 AM »

They are all using the same data from the sensor, but they're using different time periods and averaging.

Unless they all use the same definitions and timing, they're never going to be exactly the same.

Why couldn't Acurite process the wind data on the home display and on the MyAcurite page so that it is in agreement? I can understand different processing of the data from WU since that is out of Acurite's control.  Also, isn't there a standardized NWS method of calculating average wind speed?

Regarding Acurite's handling of wind gusts-- I certainly hope they don't decide to disregard the NWS definition just because user's are complaining that they are not located in a spot that gets 18mph wind. Would they prefer to having wind gusts appear constantly on WU graphs, even when the speed is 3 or 4 mph?

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]
The other company

I don't think Acurite should mess with their wind gust definition. User's should mount higher, cut down trees, move buildings :-) or just accept that they are not getting high enough wind gusts to meet the NWS definition.

Offline nincehelser

• Forecaster
« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2017, 12:56:16 AM »
Why couldn't Acurite process the wind data on the home display and on the MyAcurite page so that it is in agreement? I can understand different processing of the data from WU since that is out of Acurite's control.  Also, isn't there a standardized NWS method of calculating average wind speed?

Well, the first problem is that the displays are updating every 18 seconds, but myAcurite only updates every 5 minutes.  I'm just guessing, but I suspect they chose 5 minutes to control data processing costs.  After all, they don't want to get in the same situation wunderground seems to be in. ;)

We'll have to see what happens with the Elite, but I have to wonder how economically viable it is for them to store high-resolution wind data.  Does anyone really need that much information long-term?  Is it worth the handling and storage, or is aggregating it down to 1 or 5 minute intervals good enough?

Regarding Acurite's handling of wind gusts-- I certainly hope they don't decide to disregard the NWS definition just because user's are complaining that they are not located in a spot that gets 18mph wind. Would they prefer to having wind gusts appear constantly on WU graphs, even when the speed is 3 or 4 mph?

I don't think Acurite should mess with their wind gust definition. User's should mount higher, cut down trees, move buildings :-) or just accept that they are not getting high enough wind gusts to meet the NWS definition.

I agree, but I think the writing is on the wall.  People apparently like to see all those little gust marks on the graphs, even though they are only a few mph.   ](*,)

Offline okieman98

• Contributor
  • new and learning
« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2017, 12:46:20 AM »
for me , winds gust is something i like to see when we get hit with super cells down here, the last run and  hide in the hole,  winds had to be 50 plus to 70 blow in back door lost power 41 was where it was at when power went off. wish there was some sort of stand alone meter i could use with the metro bridge and report with that will do a 2 sec reporting to record it

PWS ID HEALDTON

Offline okieman98

• Contributor
  • new and learning
« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2017, 07:13:36 PM »
man been down with the atomic bug for a week have not had a chance to finish this post.long term storage is one thing i would like to have that would record highs and lows for each day and wind guest, average wind speed for the day in a auto reporting data base i could go back and look at over time, and store on a large external hard drive. with just the basic info i would think it would several years before it would be large enough u might have to mess with to remove records, i just guessing , i have 2 sons on the fire department and they have started using my station for wind and humidity and so on because all the data they can get comes from 40 miles away, will be trying to build  web site for them and community when i get everything bought. but wind guest is important to them as they have asked me the question a few times. that was the man reasons for that kinda of readings. my 5-1 for most part has done very well, now my lighting detector, is where i have most of the trouble going to try to get a new one soon and give it try. already flashed a metrohub and this winter going to get it up and going. after i get the new floors in the house layed

PWS ID HEALDTON

Offline nincehelser

• Forecaster
« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2017, 07:43:03 PM »
man been down with the atomic bug for a week have not had a chance to finish this post.long term storage is one thing i would like to have that would record highs and lows for each day and wind guest, average wind speed for the day in a auto reporting data base i could go back and look at over time, and store on a large external hard drive. with just the basic info i would think it would several years before it would be large enough u might have to mess with to remove records, i just guessing , i have 2 sons on the fire department and they have started using my station for wind and humidity and so on because all the data they can get comes from 40 miles away, will be trying to build  web site for them and community when i get everything bought. but wind guest is important to them as they have asked me the question a few times. that was the man reasons for that kinda of readings. my 5-1 for most part has done very well, now my lighting detector, is where i have most of the trouble going to try to get a new one soon and give it try. already flashed a metrohub and this winter going to get it up and going. after i get the new floors in the house layed

Have you looked at weewx?   You can get a whole system running, including a web site and database, on Raspberry Pi with lots of horsepower to spare.  All open software.  All modifiable.  There are 5n1 drivers for both USB interface and the SmartHUB available.

Good showcase of sites here: http://weewx.com/showcase.html

Offline okieman98

• Contributor
  • new and learning
« Reply #12 on: December 04, 2017, 10:40:38 PM »
no have not looked at it, will check it out thanks

PWS ID HEALDTON

Offline okieman98

• Contributor
  • new and learning
« Reply #13 on: December 04, 2017, 11:16:03 PM »
wow maybe over my head, never played with linux system are even tried any code but it looks like what i am looking for, will it run on a old xp system, i built a small hp client a while ago and added a hard drive to it

PWS ID HEALDTON

Offline okieman98

• Contributor
  • new and learning
« Reply #14 on: December 04, 2017, 11:31:50 PM »

Have you looked at weewx?   You can get a whole system running, including a web site and database, on Raspberry Pi with lots of horsepower to spare.  All open software.  All modifiable.  There are 5n1 drivers for both USB interface and the SmartHUB available.

Good showcase of sites here: http://weewx.com/showcase.html

it looks cheap enough that u can build on at a low cost would need some help with the components and which board to buy and so on. but i would like to learn it i think, would be a good winter project i think

PWS ID HEALDTON