Author Topic: Here's my proposed setup - feedback?  (Read 2060 times)

Offline garybdavis

Here's my proposed setup - feedback?
« on: August 03, 2017, 04:01:50 PM »
Hey guys, going to be my first weather station  Here's where I'm at right now:

Davis Vantage Pro2 6163 (fully decked out with fan, UV and Solar Radiation)
Davis Wireless Weather Envoy
Virtual Weather Station Internet Edition

I already have a Windows based server that runs 24/7 so that will run the VWS software.  I have a remote building with network access so the Envoy will be fairly close to the sensor array which will be outside of that building.  I assume I can set up the Envoy with a fixed IP address.  Looks to be around $1200 for all this.  I like commercial grade stuff so this seems to be a good fit for the money.  Any other suggestions?

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
Re: Here's my proposed setup - feedback?
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2017, 04:57:06 PM »
Whatchya gonna do with the console that comes with you VP2?
Need low cost IP monitoring?  http://wirelesstag.net/wta.aspx?link=NisJxz6FhUa4V67/cwCRWA or PM me for 50% off Wirelesstags!!

Offline garybdavis

« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2017, 05:01:56 PM »
Leave it lying around wherever for those times when I need a quick look.  That and I think the indoor temp comes from this unit? 
I suppose if it's not really needed, I can order a system without it and save a couple of bucks.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2017, 05:03:47 PM by garybdavis »

Offline Mattk

• Forecaster
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2017, 08:26:55 PM »
Whatchya gonna do with the console that comes with you VP2?

Don't need buy a console if you don't need one as each VP2 comes as an ISS only, 6323, 6328, 6334 etc

Offline Mattk

• Forecaster
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2017, 08:30:22 PM »
.... I assume I can set up the Envoy with a fixed IP address....?

Yes with the inclusion of a WeatherLink IP logger or you could use a serial logger with a serial device server such as a Moxa NPort etc.

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
    • Valentine Nebraska's Real-Time Weather
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2017, 09:14:14 PM »
I like having consoles you can take it into bedroom/study/garage where ever you desire and see what's going on. I have 2 consoles  for that reason.
Randy

Offline garybdavis

« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2017, 12:43:21 PM »
The ISS talks to the Envoy via a proprietary wireless link so you have to have those two items if you aren't running a console.  I would use the Envoy to connect to my LAN network where I can use compatible 3rd party software to log the data.  So, I don't need the Davis WeatherLink IP software.  Let me know if I got this part right.  For the data logging software, I hear good things about Virtual Weather Station and it's much cheaper. 

Instead of using a console, I would prefer logging software that supports android and IOS apps.  The app would pull data from the logging software and display it.  Surely this already exist?

I have similar functionality with my security camera software.  The software runs on a Dell server where I plan to also install the data logging software.  I have ports forwarded in the router to the server so the app can connect from outside the network as well.

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
    • Valentine Nebraska's Real-Time Weather
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2017, 02:49:04 PM »
If going without make sure what ever setup you choose hardware/software supports connecting without data logger. Everything I'm familiar with  requires data logger. My limited understanding some 3rd party hardware/software like Metrobridge can connect directly wirelessly but not sure how this integrates with envoy or console.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2017, 02:50:51 PM by ValentineWeather »
Randy

Online johnd

• Forecaster
    • www.weatherstations.co.uk
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2017, 03:51:26 PM »
The ISS talks to the Envoy via a proprietary wireless link so you have to have those two items if you aren't running a console.  I would use the Envoy to connect to my LAN network where I can use compatible 3rd party software to log the data.  So, I don't need the Davis WeatherLink IP software.  Let me know if I got this part right.

No you didn't. The Envoy is 'just' a receiver for the wireless data. You still need a logger of some kind for onward data handling. (it's always called a logger but that's bit misleading - it's actually a logger/interface.) The standard loggers will have a USB interface which obviously can't connect directly to a router. That's the thing about the IP logger - it has an Ethernet interface.

For the data logging software, I hear good things about Virtual Weather Station and it's much cheaper.

<shrug> There's also good free/cheap software around like weewx or Cumulus.

Instead of using a console, I would prefer logging software that supports android and IOS apps.  The app would pull data from the logging software and display it.  Surely this already exist?

The terminology is a little confused here. If you don't want to use a console/Envoy+logger solution then the only other option I'm aware of (and as per other posts) that will receive data direct from a wireless ISS is Meteobridge Pro Red (or what's called Weatherbridge Pro in your local market I believe). You then need to work with the (many) data-handling options this provides, though I'm not aware of any specific apps this supports though there may be some. Usually the app support is indirect, eg upload data to WU or another similar service and then view via the WU interface.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2017, 03:58:07 PM by johnd »
Prodata Weather Systems
Prodata's FAQ/support site for Davis stations
Includes many details on 6313 Weatherlink console.
UK Davis Premier Dealer - All Davis stations, accessories and spares
Cambridge UK

Sorry, but I don't usually have time to help with individual issues by email unless you are a Prodata customer. Please post your issue in the relevant forum section here & I will comment there if I have anything useful to add.

Offline droiddk

• Forecaster
« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2017, 04:10:55 PM »
For the data logging software, I hear good things about Virtual Weather Station and it's much cheaper. 

Ok, but please note that Virtual Weather Station is old and have not (interface/graphs) been updated for a very long time.
I would go with one of the "big" templates, fx. Meteotemplate and use "Cumulus" for putting the data "into the sky".

Kind Regards

Offline WheatonRon

• Forecaster
    • WUnderground
« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2017, 11:14:06 PM »

I already have a Windows based server that runs 24/7 so that will run the VWS software.  I have a remote building with network access so the Envoy will be fairly close to the sensor array which will be outside of that building.  I assume I can set up the Envoy with a fixed IP address.  Looks to be around $1200 for all this.  I like commercial grade stuff so this seems to be a good fit for the money.  Any other suggestions?

If you post to WU or CWOP, the barometer readings come from the console. What in your setup will privide that data?
Davis VP2 with SHT31 (3 complete VP2 systems—2 with a daytime fan and 1 that has a 24 hour fan); CWOP--CW5020, FW3075 and FW4350; WU--KILWHEAT17, KILWHEAT36 and KILWHEAT39; WeatherCloud.net; CoCoRaHS--IL-DP-132; and Weatherlink 2.0

Offline Mattk

• Forecaster
« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2017, 12:25:17 AM »

If you post to WU or CWOP, the barometer readings come from the console. What in your setup will privide that data?