Author Topic: Clouds again, at sunset and dusk  (Read 862 times)

Offline DaleReid

• Forecaster
    • Weather at Eau Claire, WI
Clouds again, at sunset and dusk
« on: July 16, 2017, 06:17:45 PM »
Once again while being cheated out of some much needed rain when the stationary front finally pushed off to my south, and a few storms began, the air behind the front was clear and the setting sun and twilight made great contrast on the tops of the thunderheads while they were still in sunlight.

The haybale in the picture taken earliest, sort of reminds me of one of the background screens that Windows used to have.

The second image, taken later after sunset, shows a thunderhead that, when checked on radar and lightning data, was about 67 miles away at the closest.  Several TV stations were reporting the great distance that these clouds could be seen, so it wasn't just me that was impressed. It reminds me a lot of the exceptional painting by Wm Phillips called "The Columns of Thor" and what it must have been like to be at altitude to see these buildups in the distance.

By the way, thank you to all who gave (more than they deserved) positive comments to some of my earlier lightning shots.  I'm always greatful to have a pat on the back.

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]
ECWx.info
&
ECWx.info/t/index.php

Offline Randall Kayfes

• Weather - Photography - Astronomy - Computer Admin
  • Forecaster
    • Arizona Kaymann
Re: Clouds again, at sunset and dusk
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2017, 09:28:33 PM »
Greetings,

I always like variety in my cloud pictures - thanks again.

Randall