Author Topic: Meteobridge NANO - a full Meteobridge as plug-in module for Davis consoles  (Read 1096 times)

Offline docbee

• Forecaster
    • smartbedded
Miniaturization allows to hide a complete WiFi enabled Meteobridge in the expansion port of your Davis console. You can use it as a simple WiFi Davis data logger (which would be a shame) or a replacement for your PC program for feeding weather networks. But please have a look yourself at this summary: https://www.meteobridge.com/wiki/index.php/Meteobridge_NANO

The ones of you how already know the feature richness of the Meteobridge might just be amazed that all this can be shrunk to stamp size. The ones not familiar with Meteobridge so far and who are thinking about giving their console some WiFi connection to the Internet or their PC should spend a minute or two to browse the features in the datasheet. It might be worth the time ;-)

Market introduction prices in Europe are 199 Euro, in the US 225 USD. Please find list of resellers here: https://www.meteobridge.com/wiki/index.php/Where_to_Buy%3F#Meteobridge_NANO

Availability in Europe starts this week, US will be next week.

Looking forward to hear user reports about it.

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]

Meteobridge NANO will come with three side effects I don't want to hide:
1) It currently does not upload to Davis Weatherlink. I am simply not sure if it is right to upload data into to a private cloud service without being allowed to do so. May be I see too much problems, but currently I don't feel good about that. So the NANO doesn't have it so far.
2) Console will heat-up a few degrees with the NANO installed. This is inevitable and also happens to some degree when you turn on console back light or insert the Davis IP logger or any other network operating plugin. NANO allows the user to compensate by giving the console a calibration of the internal temp sensor (this is very simple, just some clicks on the Meteobridge web interface).
3) Console will operate on batteries only half a day or so. So you really have to connect it to the power supply, otherwise the NANO will eat up the batteries like candies ;-). Batteries will not be discharged by the NANO when the power supply is feeding the whole setup. So you can still have batteries applied to bridge shorter power outages.
founder of smartbedded.com - home of meteohub, meteoplug, meteobridge, meteostick

Offline archae86

• Senior Contributor
    • LynxStoll weather
3) Console will operate on batteries only half a day or so.
That suggests that under console battery power the NANO raises console battery consumption by hundreds of milliamps.  Call it a watt of power in round numbers.  I assume all or nearly all the extra power is consumed in the NANO itself.  That much power in so small a device with negligible provision in the console design for air flow in that position suggests the NANO must get quite warm itself in service.  Have you measured it?

Offline Mattk

• Forecaster
I doubt there would be any raising of the actual battery power compared to mains adapter power, the draw would be essentially the same but the internal batteries simply don't have the capacity to maintain the supply for any length of time. There is essentially no difference between the NANO and a WLIP as the WLIP is also well known for draining internal batteries very quickly, making the internal backup not all the functional for either of these devices, but there are ways to modify the backup supply which will support the WLIP (and NANO) in a backup situation.

Offline docbee

• Forecaster
    • smartbedded
Yes we tested it in operation and it gets warm, but not hot. VoCore2 is rated with a max power consumption of 300 mA, but it does not draw this permanently. WiFi is just operating in bursts during Meteobridge operation and WiFi consumes most of the power.
founder of smartbedded.com - home of meteohub, meteoplug, meteobridge, meteostick

anything