Author Topic: Could use help selecting new weather computer  (Read 11449 times)

Offline camaswx

• CamasWX Camas Weather
Re: Could use help selecting new weather computer
« Reply #50 on: July 18, 2011, 09:20:49 PM »

Forgive me for diverting this back on topic  #-o

The nerve! ;)

I'm sorry...I'll never do it again!    :oops:

Offline camaswx

• CamasWX Camas Weather
« Reply #51 on: July 18, 2011, 09:39:36 PM »
Basically the same Atom processor I want to use in my Mini-ITX box. I'll be using a fanless box and solid state hard drive. Power consumption should be around 10-12 watts. I do want a serial port.
Nice little box you have.

Thanks. I am happy with it, it is passively cooled but does not have a SSD. I've read of people adding another Gig of ram swapping to a SSD and seeing quite a improvement. I just haven't found the right reason to spend the money on it yet since it serves it's purpose well. Hard to beat ASUS, I see a number of other company's are building systems similar to this now.
I'd be interested to know how yours works out. This is the only computer I've bought in over a decade (other than a couple laptops) I always assemble my own. Your setup should be dead silent w/SSD. I have to put my ear to within a inch to hear the Eee Box, although that could be caused by the fact my ears are over half a century old. LOL

Offline WeatherBeacon

• Chief
  • Forecaster
    • http://www.wxbeacon.com
« Reply #52 on: July 18, 2011, 09:40:25 PM »

Forgive me for diverting this back on topic  #-o

The nerve! ;)

I'm sorry...I'll never do it again!    :oops:

Nice web site, Camaswx! =D>

Welcome aboard!
Mae govannen!
Kevin  (Member AMS) http://www.wxbeacon.com               Genesee County, Michigan
Hardware:  Davis Vantage Pro Wireless, Midland WR-300
Software: VWS 14.01p43, WeatherFlash, & GRLevel3

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
« Reply #53 on: July 18, 2011, 11:20:10 PM »
Basically the same Atom processor I want to use in my Mini-ITX box. I'll be using a fanless box and solid state hard drive. Power consumption should be around 10-12 watts. I do want a serial port.
Nice little box you have.

Thanks. I am happy with it, it is passively cooled but does not have a SSD. I've read of people adding another Gig of ram swapping to a SSD and seeing quite a improvement. I just haven't found the right reason to spend the money on it yet since it serves it's purpose well. Hard to beat ASUS, I see a number of other company's are building systems similar to this now.
I'd be interested to know how yours works out. This is the only computer I've bought in over a decade (other than a couple laptops) I always assemble my own. Your setup should be dead silent w/SSD. I have to put my ear to within a inch to hear the Eee Box, although that could be caused by the fact my ears are over half a century old. LOL

My Asus with SSD is closing in on 2.5 yrs old.  Still rocking!
Need low cost IP monitoring?  http://wirelesstag.net/wta.aspx?link=NisJxz6FhUa4V67/cwCRWA or PM me for 50% off Wirelesstags!!

anything