Author Topic: Rumors about a new VP2 firmware blocking 3rd party dataloggers?  (Read 47208 times)

Offline belfryboy

• Forecaster
  • waiting for the rain.....
    • Belfryboy Blog
Re: Rumors about a new VP2 firmware blocking 3rd party dataloggers?
« Reply #50 on: November 23, 2012, 05:47:17 AM »
maybe the talented people here will figure out what the difference (i.e what changes there are), and make them compatible ...
The only way that will happen is if I can get my hands on a new console. I don't have the spare cash to buy, so I won't be doing this in the near future.

Offline DeKay

• Forecaster
    • Mad Scientist Labs
« Reply #51 on: November 25, 2012, 10:29:13 PM »
maybe the talented people here will figure out what the difference (i.e what changes there are), and make them compatible ...
The only way that will happen is if I can get my hands on a new console. I don't have the spare cash to buy, so I won't be doing this in the near future.

Ditto, mostly.  I did what I did because I found it interesting.  I haven't made a dime off what I've been able to figure out (though I encourage those who have), and as long as I have a console that is working perfectly well, I don't want to spend a whole bunch of dimes on one that is crippled.

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
« Reply #52 on: November 25, 2012, 10:34:22 PM »
I'll chip in a few bucks  for a console for you guy(s) to sort this.
Need low cost IP monitoring?  http://wirelesstag.net/wta.aspx?link=NisJxz6FhUa4V67/cwCRWA or PM me for 50% off Wirelesstags!!

Offline belfryboy

• Forecaster
  • waiting for the rain.....
    • Belfryboy Blog
« Reply #53 on: November 26, 2012, 01:10:10 AM »
Really? You mean a sort of "crowd funding" sort of thing? That could be really cool.

Offline meteo.quimper

« Reply #54 on: November 26, 2012, 02:42:36 AM »
Hi all

Is there a way to downgradethe firmware from V3 to V1.90 ? i ask that because there is some 1.90 firmware who are translated in country language, for example: 1.90 DE, 1.90 NL...

Offline johnd

• Forecaster
    • www.weatherstations.co.uk
« Reply #55 on: November 26, 2012, 03:12:21 AM »
The answer seems to be no - no F/W downgrade from v3.x is possible.

Edit: Actually just potentially to future-proof this comment, let me say that my understanding is that no F/W downgrading of v3.00 installed in an 'AA' or later console revision is possible. (It's not inconceivable that Davis could release a version of 3.00 that is compatible with older consoles. IMHO it's important not to get fixated on 3.00 as a F/W revision - more important to look at the first 2 letters of the Mfg Code of the console because this is what flags up the hardware difference in the new consoles.)
« Last Edit: November 26, 2012, 04:19:07 AM by johnd »
Prodata Weather Systems
Prodata's FAQ/support site for Davis stations
Includes many details on 6313 Weatherlink console.
UK Davis Premier Dealer - All Davis stations, accessories and spares
Cambridge UK

Sorry, but I don't usually have time to help with individual issues by email unless you are a Prodata customer. Please post your issue in the relevant forum section here & I will comment there if I have anything useful to add.

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
« Reply #56 on: November 26, 2012, 09:11:21 AM »
Really? You mean a sort of "crowd funding" sort of thing? That could be really cool.
Yeah, that's pretty much what I was thinking.  There are sites for that sort of thing.  I wonder if there are any others interested?
Need low cost IP monitoring?  http://wirelesstag.net/wta.aspx?link=NisJxz6FhUa4V67/cwCRWA or PM me for 50% off Wirelesstags!!

Offline dalecoy

• Forecaster
    • Lee's Summit, MO
« Reply #57 on: November 26, 2012, 02:07:38 PM »

As far as I know, there's no visible difference - the Mfg Code is the only clue on the logger itself.

I may have missed the information somewhere -- what are the different Mfg codes for the loggers?

Offline DeKay

• Forecaster
    • Mad Scientist Labs
« Reply #58 on: November 26, 2012, 11:01:04 PM »

I dunno.  V3 gets cracked and they put out a V4 and the cycle continues.  Nobody wins.

So why not put together one of these and one of these.  The radio on the EVE board can talk to the ISS directly.  Say to heck with the Davis console altogether and build something with real power that can do a lot more.  Log a gigabyte of data if you want.  Connect to an HD display.  Run a web server that lets you see your personal weather station from your cell phone.  I've already figured out the hard part of decoding the ISS transmissions.  It gets easier from there.  Put that together with some neat home control stuff.

That would be really cool.

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
« Reply #59 on: November 27, 2012, 10:04:30 AM »
Can you tell me more about how EVE talks to the ISS?  I would LOVE to ditch the PC (currently a netbook that will have to be replaced with a FIT PC or equivalent).  If you are suggesting a wireless version of my CAI/Rehill Webcontrol, I'm all ears.  :)

Offline DeKay

• Forecaster
    • Mad Scientist Labs
« Reply #60 on: November 27, 2012, 11:38:32 PM »
Can you tell me more about how EVE talks to the ISS?  I would LOVE to ditch the PC (currently a netbook that will have to be replaced with a FIT PC or equivalent).  If you are suggesting a wireless version of my CAI/Rehill Webcontrol, I'm all ears.  :)

The SRF module that plops onto the EVE boards is CC1110 based.  That is the same radio chip as in the infamous Pretty Pink Pager that I have already used to receive ISS transmissions (no hopping yet, but the hop sequence is known and is straightforward to implement).  I'm assuming the SRF module can be fitted with an antenna better tuned to the North American band rather than the UK band.

Or just start small with a Xino board on an Arduino or an XRF board.  More here: http://shop.ciseco.co.uk/search.php?search_query=xrf&x=0&y=0

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
« Reply #61 on: November 28, 2012, 12:42:28 AM »
Pretty cool stuff.  Thanks for the link.  I LOVE the prices of the sensors!

Offline dalecoy

• Forecaster
    • Lee's Summit, MO
« Reply #62 on: November 28, 2012, 09:57:41 AM »

As far as I know, there's no visible difference - the Mfg Code is the only clue on the logger itself.

I may have missed the information somewhere -- what are the different Mfg codes for the loggers?

Did this get answered somewhere?  [i.e., how do we tell the difference between "old" and "new" loggers?]

Offline johnd

• Forecaster
« Reply #63 on: November 28, 2012, 10:08:30 AM »
Did this get answered somewhere?  [i.e., how do we tell the difference between "old" and "new" loggers?]

The package of the 'new' loggers has a prominent green dot on it. I'm not aware that Davis have published the full Mfg Code details, but in broad terms all loggers (serial/USB/IP) manufactured in the last 15-18 months or so have been green-dot versions.
Prodata Weather Systems
Cambridge UK

Sorry, but I don't usually have time to help with individual issues by email unless you are a Prodata customer. Please post your issue in the relevant forum section here & I will comment there if I have anything useful to add.

Offline dalecoy

• Forecaster
    • Lee's Summit, MO
« Reply #64 on: November 28, 2012, 10:15:38 AM »

The package of the 'new' loggers has a prominent green dot on it. I'm not aware that Davis have published the full Mfg Code details, but in broad terms all loggers (serial/USB/IP) manufactured in the last 15-18 months or so have been green-dot versions.

Just to be sure - you're saying that the actual logger itself has a green dot on it? 

[I had previously thought you said that only the packaging (wrapping/box/container/whatever) had the green dot].

Offline johnd

• Forecaster
« Reply #65 on: November 28, 2012, 10:19:35 AM »

Just to be sure - you're saying that the actual logger itself has a green dot on it? 

[I had previously thought you said that only the packaging (wrapping/box/container/whatever) had the green dot].

Prodata Weather Systems
Cambridge UK

Offline dalecoy

• Forecaster
    • Lee's Summit, MO
« Reply #66 on: November 28, 2012, 10:28:18 AM »
Sorry, we have a language difficulty.  By "package", you mean the black thing that physically plugs into the console.  In other words, the logger.

In the US, package would mean the outer shipping container that the logger comes in - box, bag, whatever.  [Alternative meanings for "package" notwithstanding]

Offline johnd

• Forecaster
« Reply #67 on: November 28, 2012, 10:32:24 AM »
Sorry, we have a language difficulty.  By "package", you mean the black thing that physically plugs into the console.  In other words, the logger.

In the US, package would mean the outer shipping container that the logger comes in - box, bag, whatever.  [Alternative meanings for "package" notwithstanding]

Package in the everyday sense (not the chip sense), ie the very pretty cardboard carton that the Weatherlink pack comes in.  :-)
Prodata Weather Systems
Cambridge UK

Offline Old Tele man

• Singing in the rain...
  • Forecaster
« Reply #68 on: November 28, 2012, 10:50:25 AM »
FWIW, the white, fold-over cardboard packaging around the WeatherLinkIP (#06555) that I just received from RainmanWeather has the green-'dot' sticker and 08-22-12 V6.0 stamped in red ink, and the WeatherLink software program shows as ver. 6.0.0...not the latest version.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2012, 10:52:51 AM by Old Tele man »
• SYS: Davis VP2 Vue/WL-IP & Envoy8X/WL-USB;
• DBX2 & DBX1 Precision Digital Barographs
• CWOP: DW6988 - 2 miles NNE of Cortaro, AZ
• WU - KAZTUCSO202, Countryside

Offline Jeff

• MansfieldWeather
« Reply #69 on: November 28, 2012, 11:38:12 AM »
FWIW, the white, fold-over cardboard packaging around the WeatherLinkIP (#06555) that I just received from RainmanWeather has the green-'dot' sticker and 08-22-12 V6.0 stamped in red ink, and the WeatherLink software program shows as ver. 6.0.0...not the latest version.

I just purchased WeatherLink 6510USB  it also has the green-'dot' sticker and 10-24-12 V6.0 stamped in red ink.

J

Offline dalecoy

• Forecaster
    • Lee's Summit, MO
« Reply #70 on: November 28, 2012, 12:09:59 PM »

Package in the everyday sense (not the chip sense), ie the very pretty cardboard carton that the Weatherlink pack comes in.  :-)

Then, the question that will eventually come up here in this forum (and frequently for Davis support) is:

"How do I tell if my existing logger will work with a new Vue/VP2?"

I can hardly imagine that Davis doesn't provide a way to identify this, of course - folks just need to know.  It's also going to be somewhat critical information for purchases of previously-used equipment.

Offline johnd

• Forecaster
« Reply #71 on: November 28, 2012, 12:20:53 PM »
Then, the question that will eventually come up here in this forum (and frequently for Davis support) is...

The simple answer is still: it's compatible if the logger's (outer) packaging had a green dot on it.

More helpfully, I'd be hopeful that Davis will make an announcement about compatibility imminently - I just haven't seen the details in the public arena as yet.
Prodata Weather Systems
Cambridge UK

Offline d_l

• Forecaster
  • Slide Mtn - Mt Rose
    • Thomas Creek Estates neighborhood weather
« Reply #72 on: November 28, 2012, 12:31:23 PM »
Does anyone know if  this "green dot" requirement applies to Serial and USB loggers for the latest Envoy8xes?
--Dave--

Wireless VP2 w/ solar, 24hr FARS, Heater, (Envoy-WLIP)*3-Meteohub, plus custom VP2 @ 26', WL 6.0.4, WU & W4U=KNVRENO37 NetcamXL

People always talk about the weather, but they never do anything about it.  Not me.  I'm gonna measure it.  https://www.tceweather.com

Offline johnd

• Forecaster
« Reply #73 on: November 28, 2012, 12:37:22 PM »
Does anyone know if  this "green dot" requirement applies to Serial and USB loggers for the latest Envoy8xes?

There's been no announcement to suggest that the 8X units now require green dot loggers. Not surprising, I guess, because the whole hardware and firmware on the 8X is rather different from the standard VP2 family. Perhaps it will come at a later date, but it seems not to be a requirement for now.
Prodata Weather Systems
Cambridge UK

Offline dalecoy

• Forecaster
    • Lee's Summit, MO
« Reply #74 on: November 28, 2012, 12:54:56 PM »
John, I know this isn't your fault, and I appreciate you taking the time to give us the best answers you currently have...

The simple answer is still: it's compatible if the logger's (outer) packaging had a green dot on it.

I already threw away the packaging.