Author Topic: Weather Station for our local Rescue Squad Building  (Read 4059 times)

Offline Medic502

Weather Station for our local Rescue Squad Building
« on: October 06, 2018, 05:11:33 PM »
We are in a small town in SC and have recently budgeted 1000 dollars to purchase a weather station to install at our Rescue Squad building in town.
There was one online station in town but the owner is relocating to another town...we had used his station in the past to determine wind speeds and rain amounts ... Especially recently during the impact from Hurricane Florence.
Looking to share the data on weather underground, is the plan at this time and also considering a web cam also if we can do this for under $1000.
We are a volunteer organization with limited funds, so this is a big purchase for us.
We do have internet access at the building. 
We have just started looking at different stations and would appreciate any advice on the purchase and installation.
Thanks

Offline SkellyCA

Re: Weather Station for our local Rescue Squad Building
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2018, 05:44:10 PM »
The top of line stations are the Davis Instruments ones like the Vantage Pro 2. There are different options. They range from $600 to $1,300

Here's a comparison chart...

Vantage View Pro Comparison Chart

Then you need a data logger($300 - $750) and the software is by subscription, $0 to $9/month.

Weatherlink and Data Logger info...

Weather link and Data Logger info

There is also the Davis Vantage Vue for $400, might be cheaper on Amazon

Davis Vantage View

You also need a data logger for that, then the software.

I have the new Acurite Atlas which I like. Software is free and it uploads to Wunderground(free). The Atlas can be found on Amazon with everything to need to to upload the info for $254...

Acurite Atlas

Then some people like the Ambient WS-2000 at Amazon for $230

Ambient WS-2000
« Last Edit: October 06, 2018, 05:49:08 PM by SkellyCA »
If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up to much room.

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
    • Conditions @ CW2274 West Tucson-Painted Hills Ranch
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2018, 06:08:32 PM »
The top of line stations are the Davis Instruments ones like the Vantage Pro 2. There are different options. They range from $600 to $1,300

Then you need a data logger($300 - $750) and the software is by subscription, $0 to $9/month.
Don't know where you shop at but the data logger is only about $150 at most and their is no subscription using serial/usb and you can send your data wherever you want.

Offline SkellyCA

« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2018, 06:10:52 PM »
The Acurite Atlas also has extra options that you can buy separately. The link I posted does include the Access which connets to your router so you can upload the data. It also includes the lightning sensor.

You can also add a wind extension, an external battery pack or an AC power adaptor. The link for those is here...

Acurite Atlas Addons

Offline SkellyCA

« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2018, 06:12:53 PM »

Don't know where you shop at but the data logger is only about $150 at most and their is no subscription using serial/usb and you can send your data wherever you want.

That price was from the Davis website. I'm not sure who has the best price.

If you use the serial/usb, that means leaving your computer on 24/7 right?

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2018, 06:18:51 PM »
Most of the volunteer FDs up here, and the SAR gang use Davis or RM Young.  You can EASILY get a top quality DAvis station with all the bells and whistles within your budget.  Including all the uploading your heart desires.
Need low cost IP monitoring?  http://wirelesstag.net/wta.aspx?link=NisJxz6FhUa4V67/cwCRWA or PM me for 50% off Wirelesstags!!

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2018, 06:20:36 PM »

I think you are conflating it with some of the Weatherink.com stuff.  And you have a choice now of two wifi enabler logger/interfaces for around $200 that negate the need for  a 24/7 computer entirely.
Need low cost IP monitoring?  http://wirelesstag.net/wta.aspx?link=NisJxz6FhUa4V67/cwCRWA or PM me for 50% off Wirelesstags!!

Offline WeatherHost

• Forecaster
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2018, 06:29:01 PM »
The top of line stations are the Davis Instruments ones ...

Disagree.  Though they may be the priciest since they charge highly for their brand name.

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
    • Conditions @ CW2274 West Tucson-Painted Hills Ranch
« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2018, 06:42:37 PM »
The top of line stations are the Davis Instruments ones ...
Disagree.  Though they may be the priciest since they charge highly for their brand name.
You get what you pay for. Like Bushman said, "Most of the volunteer FDs up here, and the SAR gang use Davis or RM Young."
I suppose there's a reason for this, as it's the same "down here" too.

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2018, 06:45:21 PM »

Not necessarily. You can use a Meteobridge device or a Raspberry Pi (which is not a traditional computer).
Ecowitt GW1000 | Meteobridge on Raspberry Pi
WU: KFLWINTE111  |  PWSweather: KFLWINTE111
CWOP: FW3708  |  AWEKAS: 14814
Windy: pws-f075acbe
Weather Underground Issue Tracking
Tele-Pole

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2018, 06:59:05 PM »
Rescue Squad building may not be the best location for a town weather station. Unless you can site it probably there could be some potential challenges or added costs.

The height of the building may be taller than most houses. Since you mentioned wind speeds are a concern then you'll want to be sure the anemometer is not blocked. Besides the weather station you'll need to consider mounting costs. If you put the anemometer on top of the building then you'll probably want to be sure it is a Davis VP2 so that you can separate the anemometer from the rain gauge and temp/hum sensor. Then though you may also need an extra anemometer transmitter because of the separation from the base transmitter.

Then the base sensor with rain, temp and humidity need to be far enough from the building, road or parking lot so that your rain, temperature and humidity aren't affected. Mounting the whole thing on top of the roof is not the best for temp/hum and rain. Don't forget about the trees too.

With all those challenges it may be cheaper to think about siting it elsewhere. I don't know your rescue squad building and it may not have any of the challenges I mentioned. I just wanted you to have these things in mind just incase there was a better location to consider. A different location may let you get away with using a cheaper all in one type hardware. Although your wind would then suffer. But a better location may have reduced siting costs.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2019, 11:06:36 AM by galfert »
Ecowitt GW1000 | Meteobridge on Raspberry Pi
WU: KFLWINTE111  |  PWSweather: KFLWINTE111
CWOP: FW3708  |  AWEKAS: 14814
Windy: pws-f075acbe
Weather Underground Issue Tracking
Tele-Pole

Offline SkellyCA

« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2018, 07:58:12 PM »

I think you are conflating it with some of the Weatherink.com stuff.  And you have a choice now of two wifi enabler logger/interfaces for around $200 that negate the need for  a 24/7 computer entirely.

I could be but my point was that one couldn't just buy hardware. Whether that cost is $200, $100 or $10, it still needs to be factored in to the total cost if he doesn't want his computer on 24/7

Offline SkellyCA

« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2018, 08:03:11 PM »

Not necessarily. You can use a Meteobridge device or a Raspberry Pi (which is not a traditional computer).

That's true but I get the impression that the op wants something simple to set up and use. I don't know anything about Meteobridge but I think Raspberry Pi is a little more complicated.

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
« Reply #13 on: October 06, 2018, 09:42:23 PM »

That's true but I get the impression that the op wants something simple to set up and use. I don't know anything about Meteobridge but I think Raspberry Pi is a little more complicated.
Not really.  Maybe for some like you, but  there are numerous setups that require next-to-nothing for setup.

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
« Reply #14 on: October 06, 2018, 09:43:50 PM »
The Acurite Atlas also has extra options that you can buy separately. The link I posted does include the Access which connets to your router so you can upload the data. It also includes the lightning sensor.

You can also add a wind extension, an external battery pack or an AC power adaptor. The link for those is here...

Acurite Atlas Addons

Given the proprietary nature of the Atlas, I would strongly discourage a public safety provide from using it.  You need fast, local data not dependant on the cloud.

Offline nincehelser

• Forecaster
« Reply #15 on: October 06, 2018, 10:18:38 PM »

Acurite Atlas Addons

Given the proprietary nature of the Atlas, I would strongly discourage a public safety provide from using it.  You need fast, local data not dependant on the cloud.

That's why you get a display.

The Atlas has no reliance on "the cloud".

Offline SkellyCA

« Reply #16 on: October 06, 2018, 10:37:02 PM »

Not really.  Maybe for some like you, but  there are numerous setups that require next-to-nothing for setup.

Nope, not for me. The Raspberry Pi isn't real complicated but it isn't plug and play either. Which is why I said it's "a little more complicated."

Offline Medic502

« Reply #17 on: October 06, 2018, 11:50:47 PM »
Thanks for the replies... There are not any trees around our building and the height of the roof would be equal or less than a single story home. We do have a metal roof covering that was added a few years ago.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Offline Medic502

« Reply #18 on: October 06, 2018, 11:54:11 PM »
Also our desktop PC runs 24/7 as I broadcast a scanner feed of our radio transmissions online.

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
« Reply #19 on: October 07, 2018, 01:01:53 AM »

Acurite Atlas Addons

Spoken like someone with no idea how SAR or VFD works.  Thanks for playing!

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
« Reply #20 on: October 07, 2018, 01:02:36 AM »
Thanks for the replies... There are not any trees around our building and the height of the roof would be equal or less than a single story home. We do have a metal roof covering that was added a few years ago.

Metal roof is no issue with RM Young or Davis.

Offline nincehelser

• Forecaster
« Reply #21 on: October 07, 2018, 01:04:02 AM »

Acurite Atlas Addons

Spoken like someone with no idea how SAR or VFD works.  Thanks for playing!

Spoken like someone who hasn't a clue what they're talking about.  Again.   :roll:

Offline ocala

• Forecaster
« Reply #23 on: October 07, 2018, 12:10:31 PM »
Guys, can the bickering.
The OP wants suggestions. Let's stick to that.
As was mentioned above you get what you pay for. Paying a little more now enables a little more piece of mind down the road.
Also want to mention that the Davis units do offer as refurbishment program. After a few years of use you send it in and they repair or replace accordingly for a nominal fee.
Just a suggestion but I would go with the Davis VP2 unit and purchase the anemometer transmitter.  That way you can mount the anny on top of your roof and keep the temp/humidity and rain gauge at ground level.
If you do decide to go with a Davis product you can't beat the prices at Scientific Sales.
https://www.scientificsales.com/
Good luck with your choice.
The blues had a baby and they named it Rock & Roll

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
« Reply #24 on: October 07, 2018, 01:01:53 PM »
Ryan at scaledinstruments.com  has always been cheaper IME.  PLus he stocks the little parts, too.