Author Topic: The Warming Climate  (Read 54762 times)

Offline Jáchym

• Meteotemplate Developer
  • Forecaster
    • Meteotemplate
Re: The Warming Climate
« Reply #225 on: January 25, 2017, 03:01:19 PM »
Oh! Look at my country! Global warming? No way.... I think Im totally convinced now, I changed my mind

Offline waiukuweather

• Forecaster
« Reply #226 on: January 25, 2017, 03:04:06 PM »
yup, europe has had a cold winter
and same here, we are having a cold summer..but wait..just to my east, on the other side of the stuck weather pattern, its much warmer , to balance things out
but its the average of all the data that is important..and its that average that has been increasing, as you know Jáchym ;)
« Last Edit: January 25, 2017, 03:14:05 PM by waiukuweather »

Offline hankster

• Forecaster
    • NFM Weather
« Reply #227 on: January 25, 2017, 07:19:24 PM »
Global warming will soon be solved... as soon as they finish removing the supporting climate research from US government web sites.

Offline BigOkie

• Forecaster
  • Tulsa, OK
    • KOKTULSA13
« Reply #228 on: January 25, 2017, 08:36:23 PM »
Global warming will soon be solved... as soon as they finish removing the supporting climate research from US government web sites.

That won't remove it from peer reviewed scientists publications though.  Just because you issue an edict gagging a government agency doesn't invalidate their research.

"The Party told you to reject all evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command."
Current setup: Davis Vantage Pro 2 Plus Wireless
Weather radios:
Reecom R-1650
Sangean CL-100
Uniden Home Patrol I

Offline ClaireAnderson

• Best free weather app for iPhone & iPad
« Reply #229 on: January 26, 2017, 01:46:28 AM »
Sever climate changes are occurring around the world. Floods and tornado are appearing for the first time in different countries. Scientists analyze the data gathered from the past and compare it with the present climate changes to deduct the severe changes in the climate. Most of the people refuse to accept that global warming is the cause of sever climate changes but they cannot deny the noticeable changes that are taking places around the world.
Claire Anderson
http://www.weathermate.net
San Francisco, CA, USA

Offline Jáchym

• Forecaster
    • Meteotemplate
« Reply #230 on: January 26, 2017, 05:27:03 AM »
Just a few days ago a major new report was published, if interested:

http://www.eea.europa.eu/publications/climate-change-impacts-and-vulnerability-2016

Offline gwwilk

• Southeast Lincoln Weather
  • Forecaster
    • SouthEast Lincoln, NE Weather
« Reply #231 on: January 26, 2017, 07:34:13 AM »
 [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]
Regards, Jerry Wilkins
gwwilk@gmail.com

Offline Jstx

• Senior Contributor
  • Baby the Rain Must Fall
« Reply #232 on: January 26, 2017, 11:38:38 AM »
Just a few days ago a major new report was published, if interested:

http://www.eea.europa.eu/publications/climate-change-impacts-and-vulnerability-2016

Thanks for the link to that very sobering, factual (424p) document, Jáchym, I've just skimmed a few pages so far, yikes. An objective fact and data based analysis with causes and effects.
Of course our propagandized homegrown "deniers" will simply look at the source "Euro" domain address (www.eea.europa.eu) and bray & howl about it: 'what do those furriner blanketyblanks know, give us detailed names, complete Euro bullchit' etc., etc.' (author's names and affiliations on pages 10-12).
Politely, they're sticking their heads in the sand (or snow); not so politely, their heads go into a certain personal 'orifice'... :shock:

(Was surprised by the speed of the download of the ~65MB doc though, it ran about 8-11Mbps, which is a nice fast (to me) internet connection data flow I've never noticed before on my rural 4G-LTE hotspot-smartphone connection, normal is 200Kbps-6Mbps tops. Mobile/cellular, data capped at 20G, being the best IP service available here to me (a true 4G-LTE mobile IP conn is spec'ed at orders of magnitude faster, not that we customers will ever see that.)

Offline wxthomson

• http://www.minnetonkaweather.com
« Reply #233 on: January 26, 2017, 02:39:43 PM »
No worries, there is money before Trump is replaced :D

http://inhabitat.com/obama-spends-500-million-to-combat-climate-change-before-trump-takes-office/
 \:D/ \:D/ \:D/

UU UU UU

I'm hoping this gets reversed if done by executive order. (Without going through proper governing bodies)
This is hard earned American tax dollars being squandered by political corruption toward bad science.  This corruption stops today.  UU UU UU UU UU

What flavor was the Kool-Aid?

I drink the anti FAKE SCIENCE, FAKE NEWS, FAKE BS Kool-aid.

Those aren't fake!

They are "alternate facts".

Offline Intheswamp

• Early on one frosty morn'...
  • Forecaster
  • Sure...I know enough to be dangerous, now.
    • Beeweather
« Reply #234 on: February 10, 2017, 08:23:03 AM »
I've seen new users pop up in this thread and I've also seen some old names participating.  What I also have seen is something that has been mostly alien to Wxforum.net for the few years that I've been here and that is a division that has disintegrated into name calling and chest-beating.  Healthy debate is good for growth and for understanding different views.  This is true in pretty much all areas of life.  But personal attacks, whether on a person or a group, are similar to an unbridled raging stream....the rushing water causes a small creek to become a deep schism and the deep schism then erodes into a wide deep canyon...a canyon that can be impossible to span with a bridge.  Is that what everyone wants?

It saddens me to see that Wxforum.net has descended into this state...I'll not sit atop that snowball on it's plunge.  Sure, I could comment regarding "global warming" but this thread isn't a debate, it's not even a sharing of information, rather it is a mudslinging "I'm 100% correct and you're 100% wrong" thread...I thought this was a friendly weather forum where users helped each other and wished each other well, but I guess that's what it used to be.  A sad day for Wxforum.net.

Regards,
Ed

Davis VP2, v3.12
Cumulus v1.9.4  Build 1079
Today's weather beats no weather at all!
www.beeweather.com
www.beausandbonnets.com

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
    • Conditions @ CW2274 West Tucson-Painted Hills Ranch
« Reply #235 on: February 10, 2017, 02:45:08 PM »
What I also have seen is something that has been mostly alien to Wxforum.net for the few years that I've been here and that is a division that has disintegrated into name calling and chest-beating. 
Right, wrong, indifferent, this forum is merely a reflection of the unprecedented divide in this country right now IMHO, sad as that is.

Offline WheatonRon

• Forecaster
    • WUnderground
« Reply #236 on: February 10, 2017, 03:07:43 PM »
What I also have seen is something that has been mostly alien to Wxforum.net for the few years that I've been here and that is a division that has disintegrated into name calling and chest-beating. 
Right, wrong, indifferent, this forum is merely a reflection of the unprecedented divide in this country right now IMHO, sad as that is.

CW2274 is unfortunately correct and I don't see anything on the horizon that will change this.
Davis VP2 with SHT31 (3 complete VP2 systems—2 with a daytime fan and 1 that has a 24 hour fan); CWOP--CW5020, FW3075 and FW4350; WU--KILWHEAT17, KILWHEAT36 and KILWHEAT39; WeatherCloud.net; CoCoRaHS--IL-DP-132; and Weatherlink 2.0

Offline SoMDWx

• Forecaster
    • Southern Maryland Weather
« Reply #237 on: February 10, 2017, 03:08:22 PM »
That's how divisive this topic is.... The other side doesn't want to hear what the "other" has to say. No one can believe the data due to economical and political fallouts. As I stated before, unless each one of us can personally gather and analyze 100s , if not thousands of years of un-biased weather/climatic data and can analyze it correctly, then who do you believe? Answer is " whoever you CHOOSE to believe".

Offline waiukuweather

• Forecaster
« Reply #238 on: February 10, 2017, 03:12:08 PM »
well satellite visual data does not lie and can not be altered
and that shows currently that both poles have record low sea ice sea levels
https://neptune.gsfc.nasa.gov/csb/index.php?section=234
record since the 1970's when the satellites started watching
so yes there is lots of variation and it will be interesting to keep an eye on this over the coming decade for trends (arctic is trending to less and less but the antarctic has been seen more variability in trends ) and yes this all could have been before

Offline gwwilk

• Forecaster
« Reply #239 on: February 10, 2017, 03:20:37 PM »
A democratic republic such as ours only functions well when we ARE divided as to the best course of action regarding anything.  It has always been this way here, and the apoplectic response by some to today's controversies do no credit to their educational background.  None of us experienced the Civil War, but I can guarantee that our country was MUCH MORE divided at that time!

I do agree that this isn't a proper forum for a political discussion, and this is a highly politicized topic that sees volleys fired almost daily by both sides.  Unfortunately, most of the anthropogenic climate change crowd are just talking about the past 15 years' or so weather.  I suggest we give it another 30 years or so in order to properly assess the winners of today's argument.
Regards, Jerry Wilkins
gwwilk@gmail.com

Offline waiukuweather

• Forecaster
« Reply #240 on: February 10, 2017, 03:28:22 PM »
yes, if all the deniers pledge to eat their hat in 30 years (assuming we have not kicked the bucket) and the believers pledge to do the same :)

Offline ocala

• Forecaster
  • The blues had a baby and named it rock n roll
« Reply #241 on: February 10, 2017, 03:34:56 PM »
I've seen new users pop up in this thread and I've also seen some old names participating.  What I also have seen is something that has been mostly alien to Wxforum.net for the few years that I've been here and that is a division that has disintegrated into name calling and chest-beating.  Healthy debate is good for growth and for understanding different views.  This is true in pretty much all areas of life.  But personal attacks, whether on a person or a group, are similar to an unbridled raging stream....the rushing water causes a small creek to become a deep schism and the deep schism then erodes into a wide deep canyon...a canyon that can be impossible to span with a bridge.  Is that what everyone wants?

It saddens me to see that Wxforum.net has descended into this state...I'll not sit atop that snowball on it's plunge.  Sure, I could comment regarding "global warming" but this thread isn't a debate, it's not even a sharing of information, rather it is a mudslinging "I'm 100% correct and you're 100% wrong" thread...I thought this was a friendly weather forum where users helped each other and wished each other well, but I guess that's what it used to be.  A sad day for Wxforum.net.

Regards,
Ed
Great post Ed. =D> =D>
Couldn't have said it any better myself.

Offline gwwilk

• Forecaster
« Reply #242 on: February 10, 2017, 03:45:14 PM »
yes, if all the deniers pledge to eat their hat in 30 years (assuming we have not kicked the bucket) and the believers pledge to do the same :)
Well, let's be clear here who we're talking about:  ACCD (Anthropogenic Climate Change Deniers) aren't the same as CCD (Climate Change Deniers); and ACCB (Anthropogenic Climate Change Believers) aren't the same as CCB (Climate Change Believers).  One can be a CCB and an ACCD at the same time (the Venn diagram intersects these two populations.)  To mislabel ACCD's as CCD's and then argue against CCD is specious.
Regards, Jerry Wilkins
gwwilk@gmail.com

Offline waiukuweather

• Forecaster
« Reply #243 on: February 10, 2017, 04:10:12 PM »
but I never labelled anyone or put anyone in any category or specified what people are denieying or believing in
but you are either a denier or believer of one of those at least, but I guess in 30 years if you do not want to eat your hat your could argue that you were arguing the other case at the time and not have to eat your hat  :lol:

Offline BigOkie

• Forecaster
  • Tulsa, OK
    • KOKTULSA13
« Reply #244 on: February 10, 2017, 04:27:42 PM »
but I never labelled anyone or put anyone in any category or specified what people are denieying or believing in
but you are either a denier or believer of one of those at least, but I guess in 30 years if you do not want to eat your hat your could argue that you were arguing the other case at the time and not have to eat your hat  :lol:

My only issue is that we're debating that it's happening.  Whether or not it's man made...it IS happening.

If we think we can do something to stem the tide of the change, why not try?

Baffling.
Current setup: Davis Vantage Pro 2 Plus Wireless
Weather radios:
Reecom R-1650
Sangean CL-100
Uniden Home Patrol I

Offline waiukuweather

• Forecaster
« Reply #245 on: February 10, 2017, 04:31:16 PM »
If we think we can do something to stem the tide of the change, why not try?
exactly
and looking for ways to do that will actually create jobs I would have thought

Offline Jáchym

• Forecaster
    • Meteotemplate
« Reply #246 on: February 10, 2017, 04:34:43 PM »
My problem is that I do not want to say one or the other opinion is right or wrong. What we do agree on however, all of us, is that we simply dont know for sure. Is it man-made? Is it not? How fast is it? Is it really abnormal?
We DO NOT KNOW!

So the issue I have is that it is IMHO very foolish to stop all research that would try to answer those questions. Thats the problem. We might have a problem, or maybe not. We do not know. But saying lets just ignore it is simply stupid, no matter which side you are on.

Offline Farmtalk

• Fitzweather
  • Forecaster
    • WV Waterfalls
« Reply #247 on: February 10, 2017, 09:59:24 PM »
My problem is that I do not want to say one or the other opinion is right or wrong. What we do agree on however, all of us, is that we simply dont know for sure. Is it man-made? Is it not? How fast is it? Is it really abnormal?
We DO NOT KNOW!

So the issue I have is that it is IMHO very foolish to stop all research that would try to answer those questions. Thats the problem. We might have a problem, or maybe not. We do not know. But saying lets just ignore it is simply stupid, no matter which side you are on.

I agree completely with that statement, even though money on the American side is tight these days.
Joe Fitzwater
Chief Meteorologist for WVNS-TV 59 in Beckley, WV

Work Page on Facebook -> www.facebook.com/meteojoe
Work Page on Twitter -> https://twitter.com/meteojoe
Waterfalls -> www.wvfalls.com

Online PaulMy

• Forecaster
    • KomokaWeather
« Reply #248 on: February 10, 2017, 10:18:47 PM »
Hi Joseph,
and congratulations on your new website and your new station's data soon.  Well done, especially after last year's tragic flooding.

Enjoy,
Paul

Offline saratogaWX

• Administrator
  • Forecaster
  • Saratoga, CA, USA Weather - free PHP scripts
    • Saratoga-Weather.org
« Reply #249 on: February 11, 2017, 12:03:37 AM »
The recent article in the British Daily Mail regarding NOAA data being 'manipulated' is, I think, better explored in the New Scientist's article titled "New talk of warming pause just another faux climate controversy".  Personally, I prefer getting science news from a science publication instead of a tabloid, but that's just me.

Excerpt:
The whole thing had been built entirely on an interview with one disgruntled former NOAA employee, John Bates. His assertions, published simultaneously in Judith Curry’s contrarian climate blog and the Mail, have now been thoroughly debunked in the science press.

The reality is this: the science in the 2015 paper is impeccable and has been replicated and confirmed by other research groups publishing in peer-reviewed journals; data used in the paper were not experimental, biased or improperly archived; and the paper was not rushed to publication.

In the final analysis, this was much ado about nothing, a bureaucratic issue involving data archiving procedures raised by someone not involved in the substance of the science. Such specious, mountain-out-of-molehill arguments are promoted when critics don’t have a legitimate scientific case to make.

I agree that there has been much hostile argument about the whole area, with deeply divergent stances.  That doesn't mean we have to abandon civility however.  I do urge the WXForum.net members to actively discuss/debate the issue, but never resort to personal attacks or denigrating speech -- argue the the facts and back it up with citations for your data.  It's the scientific method, and we encourage it's practice as generally useful knowledge is acquired and thereby used.
Ken True/Saratoga, CA, USA main site: saratoga-weather.org
Davis VP1+ FARS, Blitzortung RED, GRLevel3, WD, WL, VWS, Cumulus, Meteobridge
Free weather PHP scripts/website templates - update notifications on Twitter saratogaWXPHP