Author Topic: What pole diameter did you use for the 2902  (Read 4948 times)

Offline VinnyRI

What pole diameter did you use for the 2902
« on: August 21, 2018, 05:33:12 AM »
The manual says 1 to 2" pole. Not understanding how the sensor array will mount to a 1 to 2" diameter pole. Ordered the 2902A Saturday. Won't get here to RI till the 27th which sucks. $36.00 ground shipping. 3 day was more than double. Would have ordered it from Amazon but they don't have all the other pieces I ordered plus would have been a good deal more money.  Don't remember ever waiting that long for shipping!

Offline WeatherHost

• Forecaster
Re: What pole diameter did you use for the 2902
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2018, 05:50:29 AM »
5-6 Business Days is not slow.  We used to wait 6-8 weeks for mail ordered things.

When it arrives, you'll have plenty of time to read and experiment before trying to set it up.  This isn't a critical life safety issue, so taking a few days after you get it to try things out won't really matter in the grand scheme of life.

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2018, 06:39:14 AM »
The mounting is done by  2 U bolts one on top of the other. Because you can tighten the bolts to different thread depths is what gives you the ability to use between a 1 to 2 inch diameter pole. These U bolts are included. All you need is a pole.

I'm using a temporary 1.5 inch diameter pole 10 feet tall and buried 2 feet in the ground. I have ordered the Tele-pole 16 Foot Classic telescopic flag pole. Final height should be around 14 feet. This gives me the recommended ratio of 4x the difference in height as distance away from the house and surrounding trees. I'm fortunate to have an open space to do this. Other solution is to mount a good distance up on top of roof or side of house so as to eliminate roof radiation. But if on roof maintenance will be more challenging.

« Last Edit: August 21, 2018, 06:46:43 AM by galfert »
Ecowitt GW1000 | Meteobridge on Raspberry Pi
WU: KFLWINTE111  |  PWSweather: KFLWINTE111
CWOP: FW3708  |  AWEKAS: 14814
Windy: pws-f075acbe
Weather Underground Issue Tracking
Tele-Pole

Offline WeatherHost

• Forecaster
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2018, 06:51:53 AM »
Final height should be around 14 feet. This gives me the recommended ratio of 4x the difference in height as distance away from the house and surrounding trees.

Which is why I don't like all-in-ones.  Wind is supposed to be around 30' and temperature is supposed to be around 8' or so.  The Fine Offsets aren't the best, but at least they let you separate the sensors properly.

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2018, 08:13:47 AM »
Well I wanted a VP2 but I though with it being very long in the tooth and the humidity issues and waiting forever for a VP3 I figured this new WS-2902A from Ambient looked like a good stop gap.

The WS-2902A is very impressive for being an all in one. I compared data from other WS-2902A before I got mine to VP2s and I have to say it was remarkable. Sure wind speeds aren't as high because of height but accurate wind speeds, at 32 feet and 9.7 inches, is the least of my concern. I wanted good temp, humidity, dew point, heat index, and most importantly rainfall. Mounting an all in one at a height that is a compromise of the two heights is acceptable to me for now.

There are also a lot of people that have VP2s and treat them like an all in one because of mounting option constraints. So there is that.

When the VP3 comes out and if it proves to be a worthy successor then I'll upgrade and get a bigger Tele-pole. Money is no object, I want the best, but I want it to be a sound investment and to me the VP2 is not at this point in time. Maybe the Acurite Elite will prove worthy when it finally comes out. So keeping an eye out for that.

As for the Fine Offset that separate the components, well those have very crappy sensors (as you mentioned) and looks as cheap and bad to me as it really is. The WS-2902A at least looks decent and is something I can be proud of in my yard. Everyone that has come over thinks it is neat looking. They are also impressed with my display console (unlike the very dated looking Davis consoles), and next to it I have my 2 ObserverIPs, Meteobridge, and NOAA Alerts SAME radio. I actually look like I know what I'm doing and I don't have the Raspberry Pi yet. I got 2nd ObserverIP to mess with and for ridirection to WeeWx. As you can see I could have afforded the VP2.... I just didn't want it. I'm mounting my cheap $37 but very nice looking and incredibly performing all in one on top of a $200 telescoping flag pole only to tear it down and replace with a larger Tele-pole when the time is right.

If someone has had a VP2 for some years then great they got good use of it. I just didn't want to buy it and have the new one come out a short while later. I didn't want buyers remorse. With the WS-2902A if it breaks or doesn't last long I won't be upset. $37 and I can replace the entire outdoor sensor array. If a hurricane comes at me it is staying up, I won't take it down. I want to see what it does. It will be fun and worth the $37 to replace to see that and get that data. I'm not looking to accurately measure the hurricane speeds. I'm just curious to see what happens and how well it compares to what is reported.

Sorry if I came across snippy, but I think the WS-2902A does not get the attention it deserves. I felt I had to defend it. And not all of us are real weather people. Most us us just want to see some data or have a more accurate idea of what is happening in our yard, especially rainfall. Because I can get accurate temperature, humidity, pressure, and wind from the local news, but nobody can give me accurate rainfall except if I do it. I actually wanted a weather station mostly because of my Hydrawise irrigation controller that now connects to my station and accurately adjusts to my rainfall. I don't care so much about the weather. I like to tinker with electronics as I'm an IT person and I like something that connects to the Internet and produces data that I can do all sorts of analysis with and save to SQL databases etc.

For what it is worth my neighbor replaced his old and temperamental and in need of maintenance VP2 with a WS-2902A rather than fixing it.

« Last Edit: August 21, 2018, 09:30:58 AM by galfert »
Tele-Pole

Offline VinnyRI

« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2018, 04:20:22 PM »
5-6 Business Days is not slow.  We used to wait 6-8 weeks for mail ordered things.

When it arrives, you'll have plenty of time to read and experiment before trying to set it up.  This isn't a critical life safety issue, so taking a few days after you get it to try things out won't really matter in the grand scheme of life.

No it's not really. I'm spoiled and used to 2 to 3 days for online. Amazon built a massive warehouse in southeast Ma. A lot of stuff comes even on Sunday with just a few dollars more for shipping. Really wanted it here for the week end to get it going. Not a critical life safety issue just a critical impatient old man issue. My Acuwrong is crapping out bit by bit. Rain gauge quit Saturday. Would've replied at lunch at work but no option to reply or quote on my android phone.

Offline VinnyRI

« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2018, 04:25:20 PM »
The mounting is done by  2 U bolts one on top of the other. Because you can tighten the bolts to different thread depths is what gives you the ability to use between a 1 to 2 inch diameter pole. These U bolts are included. All you need is a pole.

I'm using a temporary 1.5 inch diameter pole 10 feet tall and buried 2 feet in the ground. I have ordered the Tele-pole 16 Foot Classic telescopic flag pole. Final height should be around 14 feet. This gives me the recommended ratio of 4x the difference in height as distance away from the house and surrounding trees. I'm fortunate to have an open space to do this. Other solution is to mount a good distance up on top of roof or side of house so as to eliminate roof radiation. But if on roof maintenance will be more challenging.

The station will be set up on my upper deck well clear of anything that would throw off the temp reading. Still not high enough to get above the trees. Would need another 25 feet at least. The Acuwrong is mounted to a 2 X 4 X 8 that is construction screwed to the corner 4 X 4. Been there for 3 + years. This December would've been 4. That's where the 2902 will be going.

Offline VinnyRI

« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2018, 04:31:24 PM »
Well I wanted a VP2 but I though with it being very long in the tooth and the humidity issues and waiting forever for a VP3 I figured this new WS-2902A from Ambient looked like a good stop gap.

The WS-2902A is very impressive for being an all in one. I compared data from other WS-2902A before I got mine to VP2s and I have to say it was remarkable. Sure wind speeds aren't as high because of height but accurate wind speeds, at 32 feet and 9.7 inches, is the least of my concern. I wanted good temp, humidity, dew point, heat index, and most importantly rainfall. Mounting an all in one at a height that is a compromise of the two heights is acceptable to me for now.

There are also a lot of people that have VP2s and treat them like an all in one because of mounting option constraints. So there is that.

When the VP3 comes out and if it proves to be a worthy successor then I'll upgrade and get a bigger Tele-pole. Money is no object, I want the best, but I want it to be a sound investment and to me the VP2 is not at this point in time. Maybe the Acurite Elite will prove worthy when it finally comes out. So keeping an eye out for that.

As for the Fine Offset that separate the components, well those have very crappy sensors (as you mentioned) and looks as cheap and bad to me as it really is. The WS-2902A at least looks decent and is something I can be proud of in my yard. Everyone that has come over thinks it is neat looking. They are also impressed with my display console (unlike the very dated looking Davis consoles), and next to it I have my 2 ObserverIPs, Meteobridge, and NOAA Alerts SAME radio. I actually look like I know what I'm doing and I don't have the Raspberry Pi yet. I got 2nd ObserverIP to mess with and for ridirection to WeeWx. As you can see I could have afforded the VP2.... I just didn't want it. I'm mounting my cheap $37 but very nice looking and incredibly performing all in one on top of a $200 telescoping flag pole only to tear it down and replace with a larger Tele-pole when the time is right.

If someone has had a VP2 for some years then great they got good use of it. I just didn't want to buy it and have the new one come out a short while later. I didn't want buyers remorse. With the WS-2902A if it breaks or doesn't last long I won't be upset. $37 and I can replace the entire outdoor sensor array. If a hurricane comes at me it is staying up, I won't take it down. I want to see what it does. It will be fun and worth the $37 to replace to see that and get that data. I'm not looking to accurately measure the hurricane speeds. I'm just curious to see what happens and how well it compares to what is reported.

Sorry if I came across snippy, but I think the WS-2902A does not get the attention it deserves. I felt I had to defend it. And not all of us are real weather people. Most us us just want to see some data or have a more accurate idea of what is happening in our yard, especially rainfall. Because I can get accurate temperature, humidity, pressure, and wind from the local news, but nobody can give me accurate rainfall except if I do it. I actually wanted a weather station mostly because of my Hydrawise irrigation controller that now connects to my station and accurately adjusts to my rainfall. I don't care so much about the weather. I like to tinker with electronics as I'm an IT person and I like something that connects to the Internet and produces data that I can do all sorts of analysis with and save to SQL databases etc.

For what it is worth my neighbor replaced his old and temperamental and in need of maintenance VP2 with a WS-2902A rather than fixing it.

The vantage stations especially the VP2 are no way worth the money compared to the ambient stations. Especially to get them online. The Ambient stations made be a bit behind but not by much. The 2902 is even a bit closer. Was holding out for the WS-2000. Sale on the observer ip module made me pull the trigger. Will upgrade to the 2000 display at Christmas time. The 2902 was on sale a few weeks ago. Should have pulled the trigger then. Would've been about $20.00 cheaper with everything I bought.

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
    • Conditions @ CW2274 West Tucson-Painted Hills Ranch
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2018, 06:45:03 PM »
the VP2 are no way worth the money compared to the ambient stations.
Really? I made this comment only a week or so ago and bears repeating...

"Just because it's popular sure as hell doesn't make it good. For me personally, I would never go downhill on my PWS, bad humidity 31 or not. I wonder how many WS's I would have needed to replace in the 11 years I've had my lone VP2 in this Arizona sun. Phftt, forget everything else in the VP2's favor, that's gravy."

All the VP2 owners, please raise your hands if you'd ditch your VP2 for an Ambient.....

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2018, 08:02:10 PM »

"Just because it's popular sure as hell doesn't make it good. For me personally, I would never go downhill on my PWS, bad humidity 31 or not. I wonder how many WS's I would have needed to replace in the 11 years I've had my lone VP2 in this Arizona sun. Phftt, forget everything else in the VP2's favor, that's gravy."

All the VP2 owners, please raise your hands if you'd ditch your VP2 for an Ambient.....

How about maybe the WS-2902A is good and that is why it is popular? I'm sure among VP2 owners they lump together everything that has ever come out from Ambient without consideration and label it all cheap Chinese junk. They are too proud to recognize that maybe Ambient has scored a hit and a decent station with the WS-2902A.

My neighbor raised his hand, as he has replaced his broken VP2 for a WS-2902A.

I'm not blindsided or biased to not recognize that the VP2 has merit. As I said I wanted one for years. Just not today. If I had come along 11 years ago I too would have bought the VP2. I'm not suggesting VP2 owners ditch and replace their working VP2s. I have high expectations for Davis and I'll be there most likely when the VP3 shows up and if it gets things right.

Don't hold your breath waiting for VP2 owners to chime in on this thread and raise their hand. "Most" of them don't even bother to look in this Ambient sub-forum. Much like I don't bother with the LaCrosse and Oregon Sci sub-forums. I guess it must be a pecking order thing sort of like a social class. Nothing wrong with that.
Tele-Pole

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2018, 08:33:40 PM »

I guess it must be a pecking order thing sort of like a social class.
No, it's about people who think that if they spend their hard earned money on something less expensive that they'll benefit in the long run, exactly the opposite. Not only is the VP2 ancient, it's still the benchmark in the "less than RMY" price range. Just as an example, the Ambient won't even display outdoor humidity below 10%, I spend two or three months a year below that every day, lotta good that would do for people like me.
If people want to spend their bucks on this or whatever, have at it, yours to spend. To say the VP2 is "no way worth the money compared to an Ambient" is ludicrous.

Offline VinnyRI

« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2018, 08:42:20 PM »
the VP2 are no way worth the money compared to the ambient stations.
Really? I made this comment only a week or so ago and bears repeating...

No popularity doesn't make it good. I compare it to all the weather stations reporting to WU. I have come across 3 stations that are the 2902A and compared them to the Davis VP2 and a vue here in RI. Pretty dam close to what the Davis stations are showing. Most people who buy a weather station do so as a hobby. My reasoning for the Davis being overpriced  and not worth double the price to get online for the average weather station hobbyist. They are not way more acurite to justify the much higher cost. My crappy acurite lasted a little over 3 and a half years. I wouldn't but another. Was my first PWS. The ambient 2902A is a big upgrade from that. Only time will tell how long they last. If the sensor array lasts 4 years it's only $37.00 oops was now $53.99 to replace. Still way cheaper for the average home PWS hobbyist.

Offline VinnyRI

« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2018, 08:55:45 PM »

No, it's about people who think that if they spend their hard earned money on something less expensive that they'll benefit in the long run, exactly the opposite. Not only is the VP2 ancient, it's still the benchmark in the "less than RMY" price range. Just as an example, the Ambient won't even display outdoor humidity below 10%, I spend two or three months a year below that every day, lotta good that would do for people like me.
If people want to spend their bucks on this or whatever, have at it, yours to spend. To say the VP2 is "no way worth the money compared to an Ambient" is ludicrous.

Nothing to do with spending less and benefiting in the long run for me. If I can get a PWS that's half the price and with in 90% acuracy of the davis I'm in. Most reviews give the build quality 4 or 5 stars for the Abient 2902A. For me I like weather but not enough to spend $500.00+ on a davis when I can get the Ambient on line for less than half. Didn't know any better when I bought the Acurite. That indeed was not a good PWS. I'm confident that the 2902A is a much better system than the acurite and will last longer than the 3 1/2 years it did. Here in RI humidity rarely gets below 10% and probably not many other places in the US.

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
« Reply #13 on: August 21, 2018, 09:10:26 PM »

Here in RI humidity rarely gets below 10% and probably not many other places in the US.
I'm not going to look it up, but between Phoenix, Las Vegas, Tucson, and the rest of the desert SW, that's only circa what, 8, 9 million people (and growing every day)... If I were developing a PWS, I'd doubt I'd leave them (me) out.
I truly hope you enjoy your PWS, that's what it's there for.

Offline WeatherHost

• Forecaster
« Reply #14 on: August 21, 2018, 09:16:30 PM »
I'll never pay the over-inflated Davis price.

I'm not NOAA.  I don't need their level of accuracy (which Davis doesn't provide).  I'm just curious about my own yard.

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
« Reply #15 on: August 21, 2018, 09:23:42 PM »
I'll never pay the over-inflated Davis price.
:lol: Evidently, many don't see your point of view.

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #16 on: August 21, 2018, 10:38:39 PM »

Oh I am the furthest from someone who thinks that if I spend less I'll benefit in the long run. My father nick named me "Top of the line Guy." Everything I have is the best and most expensive. But sometimes it just isn't the right time to buy. I'm not going to buy a new car 2 months before the new model comes out, you miss out on a deal on the outgoing model and you end up with buyers remorse a short while later because you didn't wait and paid the same. If the VP2 was perfect then maybe it might have been worth it today. Not talking about 11 years ago, different options back then.

So it's okay for Davis to be the cheap benchmark of RMY but it isn't okay for Ambient to be the cheap benchmark of Davis? Look at the data. It is impressive. Sure you have a special case with 10% humidity but I have the opposite problem in Florida with 100% humidity, and Davis is not performing in the middle and high range humidity (high middle bias, and never reaching higher than 94% to 96%).

In 11 years worst case is you would have had to buy an Ambient every 3 or 4 years. So say by now you would have needed to spend $180 on replacement outdoor units ($60 x 3). Still saving a ton. But 11 years ago this awesome Ambient wasn't an option. Back then it was either Davis or crap. But today there is a decent economical option.

The Davis Golden Years are over. Unless the VP3 comes out and they hit out of the park. You got your money's worth with the VP2 and you got to experience it in its glory for 11 years. That is awesome! And you still have it and it still works. Magnificent deal and great purchase. But just think if you were just getting into this hobby today would you really buy a brand new VP2? You would probably say yes because of 10% humidity. Fine. But don't criticize the rest of us that don't live where you live. Those other VP2 owners in the SHT 31 monster thread are not happy. You are the only one that is happy.

« Last Edit: August 27, 2018, 03:28:15 PM by galfert »
Tele-Pole

Offline VinnyRI

« Reply #17 on: August 21, 2018, 10:50:30 PM »

I'm not going to look it up, but between Phoenix, Las Vegas, Tucson, and the rest of the desert SW, that's only circa what, 8, 9 million people (and growing every day)... If I were developing a PWS, I'd doubt I'd leave them (me) out.
I truly hope you enjoy your PWS, that's what it's there for.
[/quote]

I'm confident I will enjoy it. If money wasn't an issue I'd probably grab a VP2. Hell if money wasn't I'd by one each of the most popular ones. I was also looking at Peet Bros stations. Even more than Davis. Desert southwest no doubt is dry circa, 8, 9 million people compared to a few hundred million the rest of the country. The creator of meteobridge has a nano device specifically for Davis stations. Not sure if it eliminates the Davis logger.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2018, 10:53:46 PM by VinnyRI »

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
« Reply #18 on: August 21, 2018, 10:54:48 PM »
ok

Offline GHammer

• Senior Contributor
    • Woodmar Weather
« Reply #19 on: August 27, 2018, 03:05:37 PM »
I have a section of chain link fence post in a roof mount tripod for my mount.
Gets it up way above the peak of the house and is rock solid for the tiny weight of the 2902A.
Is this going to make the anally retentive PWS owner happy? No, as the temp height isn't to spec. But the wind height is perfect!

As for Davis vs the 2902A, I had wanted a weather station for years. The Davis units were complicated to even find what I'd need to send data to CWOP and WU.
Fast forward several years, I have my PWS and a self hosted website, the console, and data going to 3 services. All for USD$160

In my area, I've been accurate as anyone (and more than some) all summer.

I understand the Davis owners wanting to feel 'special', but for the USD$100s extra cost of the Davis, I have the better deal in today's world.
If a VP3 is released and is more affordable and has the accuracy, I'll revisit my choice. Until then, I'll enjoy my purchase and capabilities.
Wireless Vantage Pro2 Plus with 24hr FARS, WLL

Offline SWX

« Reply #20 on: August 28, 2018, 02:58:16 PM »
1.5” PVC (5 feet) cemented in a bucket, a cheap, temporary and portable solution. It’s surprisingly solid, the 2902 is very light so it barely ever wobbles.

I echo the sentiments above regarding the 2902A vs Davis. For the price, the 2902A can’t be beat.

My main gripe with the 2902A is that it can’t record data (aside from basic high/low + rain) without an internet connection, I wish it could write to a memory card or log conditions via a mobile app or computer app. One time I had an extended internet outage and lost hours of observations, but on the bright side it took no more than 2 minutes to tether it to an iPad (with LTE/3G) to resume uploads to WU/Ambient/Weathercloud once I got home.
Wunderground / PWS Weather
Ambient Weather WS-2902A
Ambient WeatherBridge
Ecowitt GW1000
Ecowitt WH31
Ecowitt WH41
Ecowitt WH51 x 2
Ecowitt WH57
Ecowitt WS68

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #21 on: August 28, 2018, 06:26:27 PM »
My main gripe with the 2902A is that it can’t record data (aside from basic high/low + rain) without an internet connection, I wish it could write to a memory card or log conditions via a mobile app or computer app. One time I had an extended internet outage and lost hours of observations, but on the bright side it took no more than 2 minutes to tether it to an iPad (with LTE/3G) to resume uploads to WU/Ambient/Weathercloud once I got home.

If you add an ObservrerIP and a Meteobridge you can record to a local computer using FTP or mySQL database.  I'm not sure if it will help upload the data missed to those online services but you'll have the data locally that you can then access with a PC program like WeeWx. I haven't explored the option yet but it might even be possible to upload the missed data from your database. Maybe someone else that has done this can elaborate.
Tele-Pole

Offline Sir_MAK

« Reply #22 on: August 29, 2018, 08:04:55 AM »
The WS-2000 has a memory card in the display.  It uses the same weather sensor as the 2902A. You maybe able to purchase the display only.
Ambient WS-2000, Central Ohio - WU WC
Ambient
WS-2902, Lake Erie   -    WU WC

Offline VinnyRI

« Reply #23 on: August 29, 2018, 08:26:25 PM »
My 2902 came in Monday but won't get to set it up till the week end. By the time I get home from work no time. My reason for wanting it by last week end. At least it's a long week end and the ridiculous heat and humidity here in New England will subside by Friday night. Dew points in the mid 70's at 95 degrees. Haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaate it.

Offline VinnyRI

« Reply #24 on: August 30, 2018, 05:01:12 AM »
The WS-2000 has a memory card in the display.  It uses the same weather sensor as the 2902A. You maybe able to purchase the display only.

Eventually you will be able to buy the 2000 display. Probably not till mid fall when replacements parts become available for the 2000. I wanted to buy the 2000 but became tired of waiting for it so I bought the 2902A. 2 Days after I placed the order I received an email that the 2000 is now available. Difference is the display ( which I like better ) and the extra sensors you can add. The extra sensors are not a problem if you have an observer ip. I'll pick up the 2000 display around Christmas time. Both can be used at the same time.