Author Topic: Confused about computer interface  (Read 3010 times)

Offline crawdad62

Confused about computer interface
« on: August 19, 2017, 09:16:17 PM »
Right now I have an Ambient WS-1001 that I use a console to view data. It’s also linked to WU and that’s what I use at my computer. I’m planning on getting a Davis Vantage Pro 2 6162. I would like to be able to connect to WU and run some type of dedicated WX software on my computer (Mac OSX).

So I guess I would like to know what else besides the 6162 do I need to get my WX data to my computer and to WU?

Offline WheatonRon

• Forecaster
    • WUnderground
Re: Confused about computer interface
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2017, 09:46:20 PM »
You need a datalogger that connects to the VP2 console. This datalogger is typically sold as a package with the Davis Weatherlink software. Scaled Instruments, a Davis authorizied dealer in the US, sells it for $117 plus shipping. The owner, Ryan Wilhour, is great to work with should any issues result. The website for this datalogger including Weatherlink at Scaled Instruments is here:

https://www.scaledinstruments.com/product-category/davis-instruments/hardware-data-loggers-software/

With this software, you can upload to Weather Underground and CWOP, among others. It must be connected to a computer that is on 24 hours a day, 7 days a week so it can make timely uploads to WU and CWOP. The MAC version is Davis part 6520. Read the reviews on this product on Amazon. In short, several people bought the 6520 for the datalogger and did not like the software. See the reviews here:

https://www.amazon.com/Davis-Instruments-6520-Software-Vantage/dp/B000WBR34S/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1503200231&sr=8-1&keywords=Davis+6520#customerReviews

If you haven't bought your VP2, check out the pricing Ryan has. You will probably need to create an account on the Scaled Instruments website, then log in to see Ryan's best pricing.

I find the Weatherlink software rather clunky (reminds me of DOS 3.0) and many folks are using alternatives but I am not familiar with them. Others in this Forum will provide suggestions. The primary reason I am not keen on Weatherlink (I use the Windows USB version, Davis part 6510), is that it frequently drops the connection from my VP2 console to my computer during an electrical storm. Whether this is the software or not I can't say, but I have tried several different USB cables and they all have this issue. Davis also swapped out my datalogger under warranty but this issue continued. I gave up. I realize that after a lightning storm I may need to restart Weatherlink (not the computer) to ensure it is still receiving data from the VP2 console.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2017, 11:51:52 PM by WheatonRon »
Davis VP2 with SHT31 (3 complete VP2 systems—2 with a daytime fan and 1 that has a 24 hour fan); CWOP--CW5020, FW3075 and FW4350; WU--KILWHEAT17, KILWHEAT36 and KILWHEAT39; WeatherCloud.net; CoCoRaHS--IL-DP-132; and Weatherlink 2.0

Offline waiukuweather

• Forecaster
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2017, 10:06:21 PM »
there is a version of weatherlink for OSX
you will need the Davis OSX driver (you can download from the silicon labs web site too (google for that)
there is also other software for OSX

Offline crawdad62

« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2017, 12:04:18 AM »
Thanks for the suggestions. It looks like the WeatherLink software for Mac doesn’t upload to WU. Is there any solution that takes the Mac out of the equation? I don’t always have it on (sleeps during inactivity).

Offline waiukuweather

• Forecaster
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2017, 12:19:04 AM »

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2017, 01:10:23 AM »
Thanks for the suggestions. It looks like the WeatherLink software for Mac doesn’t upload to WU. Is there any solution that takes the Mac out of the equation? I don’t always have it on (sleeps during inactivity).

Meteobridge or Raspberry Pi with weewx
Need low cost IP monitoring?  http://wirelesstag.net/wta.aspx?link=NisJxz6FhUa4V67/cwCRWA or PM me for 50% off Wirelesstags!!

Offline crawdad62

« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2017, 01:30:48 AM »
Again thanks for the suggestions. I looked at Meteobridge. Looks like the ticket but it also looks like I still need to purchase the datalogger. That’s a total of over $300! I may just keep what I’ve got.

Offline Mattk

• Forecaster
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2017, 02:37:00 AM »
Again thanks for the suggestions. I looked at Meteobridge. Looks like the ticket but it also looks like I still need to purchase the datalogger. That’s a total of over $300! I may just keep what I’ve got.

That would depend on which Meteobridge device you intended to use, MB flashed version or the MBPro with RF

Offline crawdad62

« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2017, 09:11:23 AM »
Geez. The MBPro is even more money. I have to say the Davis Instruments weather stations are well made but to me at least it looks like they've sort of been caught on the their heels with internet connectivity and software. If this was 1995 and all I wanted was a professional quality home WX and a console to set on my desk I'd be set.

Offline WheatonRon

• Forecaster
    • WUnderground
« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2017, 09:12:04 AM »

How did you determine the Weatherlink software for a Mac doesn't upload to WU? That doesn't make sense since the Windows versions do, but that is just a hunch as I don't know anything about the Mac version.
Davis VP2 with SHT31 (3 complete VP2 systems—2 with a daytime fan and 1 that has a 24 hour fan); CWOP--CW5020, FW3075 and FW4350; WU--KILWHEAT17, KILWHEAT36 and KILWHEAT39; WeatherCloud.net; CoCoRaHS--IL-DP-132; and Weatherlink 2.0

Offline crawdad62

« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2017, 09:24:10 AM »
I may be wrong about that. I've looked at so much stuff the last few days. I think I'm actually more confused now. I just want to be able to upload to WU without the need of a dedicated computer being on 24/7. I see that the WeatherLink 6555 would allow that but it's only Windows. I would assume that's just to set it up? If that were the case I do have access to a Windows computer that I could set it up.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2017, 09:26:14 AM by crawdad62 »

Offline aware

« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2017, 09:49:26 AM »
Geez. The MBPro is even more money. I have to say the Davis Instruments weather stations are well made but to me at least it looks like they've sort of been caught on the their heels with internet connectivity and software. If this was 1995 and all I wanted was a professional quality home WX and a console to set on my desk I'd be set.

AMEN! 

This has been my only frustration with this weather hobby.  The Davis sensors are some of the best for the price in my opinion, but they make everything else so much harder than it needs to be!

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2017, 11:25:01 AM »

Or this: clone logger (Bellboy's for instance) - $60 US; TP link you flash yourself - $25 US and a MB license $100 US (approx - is 70 euros plus later if you want, 19E more after the first two years for "support").  That is about the MSRP of the Weatherlink package.  :)

And for the record, I agree.  The interface/console is awful and would it kill Davis to make a decent small sensor ??
Need low cost IP monitoring?  http://wirelesstag.net/wta.aspx?link=NisJxz6FhUa4V67/cwCRWA or PM me for 50% off Wirelesstags!!

Offline EA1EF

« Reply #13 on: August 21, 2017, 06:05:28 PM »
our favorite hardware was:

BelfryBoy USB datalogger about 50€
PC Stick COMPUTE INTEL W10 (2 to 4w power rating) AutopowerOn after power failute Teamviewer Small etc about 100€ second hand or 150 new (INTEL COMPUTE 8GBSSD_1GBram cost only 50 euro)
HUB USB+ETH  permit 1 to 3 stations (protect PC fron overloads or storm discharges) about 20€
POWERBANK  TecNET Bluetek 9600mah to 16.00mah ( 10 to 40 hours remain power failures, protect PC from overloads or storm discharges) about 20€

Total orientative price about 130€ to 230 euro (180 euro our example)

Pay attention that BelfryBoy dattaloger permit near Free priced rest Interface

Example hardware from meteocampoo.es info by www.meteocampoo.es team

« Last Edit: August 21, 2017, 06:11:30 PM by EA1EF »

anything