Author Topic: Need help with timelapse set up  (Read 6929 times)

Offline cloudking

Need help with timelapse set up
« on: November 18, 2011, 07:14:19 PM »
Hi,

I am a newbie here , I want to set up an IP webcam outside of my house so I can take a timelapse video of the mountains. I have been trolling around these forums and seen how some people set up a timelapse video. It looks a little bit difficult I am looking for an easy solution (if it exists!) From what I have found online it looks like IP cameras have better resolution, I think I need a 3MP resolution because I want this to look good on my big screen tv when it is finished.

My budget for a IP camera is about $800, I don't need any pan/tilt/zoom capabilities as I just want the image to look in one direction. I think I need an outdoor mount as I want to mount this camera on my roof. I have seen Panasonic, Axis and Stardot mentioned on these forums but I haven't found a camera to fit in my budget.

What is the best way to get a timelapse video compiled?

If anyone knows any deals on IP cameras and enclosures please let me know!

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
Re: Need help with timelapse set up
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2011, 07:40:14 PM »
Photolapse is freeware that will create time lapse sequences easily.
Need low cost IP monitoring?  http://wirelesstag.net/wta.aspx?link=NisJxz6FhUa4V67/cwCRWA or PM me for 50% off Wirelesstags!!

Offline dkinsc

• Contributor
    • ClemsonKFAP Weather
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2011, 08:41:37 PM »
Once you have your camera set up and saving a file on the schedule you want, building the video can be easy.  About the easiest I have found is software from Sebectec.com, which has a free version that will build the video.  Then play it in any mpg or avi player.  Another possibility is Windows Movie Maker, almost as easy.  The camera does not make much difference, other than the obvious that it should make at least acceptable pictures.  But in a video the fine differences are not seen as much.  Others can advise you on the camera; I have a Foscam, but certainly there are higher quality models that others might recommend.  Have not had much trouble with the Foscam, but it is infrared sensitive, so it will do some funny things to color. 
Del
KSCCLEMS2 and DW6419

Offline kanewolf

• Weather at Chez Baron
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2011, 10:58:12 PM »
Part of the decision of what software you can use, depends on what operating system you are targeting.  Mac OS will (potentially) be different that Windows (which might even vary depending on version), and it will definitely be different if you are using Linux.  My weatherstation runs on Linux so I had to choose accordingly. 
The output format you are trying to create may also dictate what software you use.  I create a flash (.swf) file every night.  Although a 3MP camera may be desirable, the software may be limited in how much data it can handle.  Storage IS (rather was) cheap, but 1 fps for 14 (daylight) hours per day adds up to quite a storage task.  Usually you don't want to store too many files in one directory.  So you need a method of distributing your captures among multiple directories.  One folder per day or one folder per hour or something.  Purge is another task that can take some planning.  Linux makes some of the behind-the-scenes activities simpler, if you know how.

Offline Axelvold

• Forecaster
    • Axelvold's weather and photo
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2011, 02:42:28 PM »
For my self I'm using Sebectec to create timelapse movie for 5 of my 7 webcams, It working great.

You will have a lot of options deciding when and on what time the movie will be created, so check it out (you wont be disappointed)

Lars Magnusson
Axelvold / Sweden
55° 57' 41" N / 13° 6' 1" E
WX Station: Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus

Offline tnwxman

• Forecaster
  • KK4QXH
    • Weather for Lebanon, TN 37087
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2011, 02:27:54 PM »
Hi All,

Well I can use some help also. I have a Foscam FI8905W. I am using webcamXP to capture the stills. Image Salsa weather edition to put the weather varibales tags on the picture and to upload to my website. It would be great if I could get image salsa to also do the capturing. I also want to do time lapse. I have movie slasa but it creates some very large avi file sizes. Also when I upload the avi file to my website it will not play do I need some type of player at my website?

I read some of the information on Sebectec. I downloaded it and did the movie creation. Sebec makes a much smaller video file (avi) but it also will not play at my website. So here is what I am hoping to do have the time lapse play at my website. If possible can I get Sebectec to capture and make the video to upload to my website. Can I get my camera to work with Sebtec? Is there a better solution? Given what I have what is the best solution?

I appreciate the help.

Thanks.

Bob
Bob
KK4QXH

Offline sebeclake

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2011, 08:48:10 AM »
You can use the FTP option in SebecTec free version (www.sebectec.com) to upload to your site.  You can also use .FLV option (rather than avi or wmv) to upload the video and play on your webpage using either JW Player (www.longtailvideo.com) or Flowplayer (www.flowplayer.org).  Here are a few examples of using SebecTec with flowplayer:

Rockwood, Maine: http://www.rockwoodonmoosehead.org/images/ftp/index.html
Greenville, Maine: http://www.sebectec.com/greenville/index.html
Bob Copeland (retired Boston TV 5 Meteorologist): http://bobcopelandart.com/webcam/index.html

-Mike

« Last Edit: November 25, 2011, 09:13:31 AM by sebeclake »

Offline tnwxman

• Forecaster
  • KK4QXH
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2011, 10:02:50 AM »
Hi Mike,

Thank you. I am checking out the information you gave me. Hope to have time lapse soon. Thanks again.

Bob
Bob
KK4QXH

Offline tnwxman

• Forecaster
  • KK4QXH
« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2011, 02:48:58 PM »
Hi Mike,

Got the video up to my website. Thank you. I might have downloaded the wrong v of your software it tells me how many days left on evaluation. Also what would I set to create a video every hour and upload that video each hour. The video would be for today starting at midnight and ending at 11:59 PM. So each time the time lapse creates it includes another hour of the day. Please advise.

Thanks.

Bob
Bob
KK4QXH

Offline Weather Display

• Forecaster
    • West Coast Road Weather Data
« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2011, 03:37:49 PM »
tnwxman,I see you are using WD, in checking your weather site
you can get WD to create movies for you, instead of having to purchase another software to do it for you...just a thought
there is a FAQ on the WD forum for how to set that up
I have those working on my weather web site
Brian
info@weather-display.com
http://www.weather-display.com

Offline sebeclake

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2011, 04:03:18 PM »
Make sure if you want the free version of sebectec to go to this page midway down: http://sebectec.com/download/index.htm

-Mike

Offline tnwxman

• Forecaster
  • KK4QXH
« Reply #11 on: November 25, 2011, 06:38:46 PM »
Hi Brian,

Thank you for your suggestion. To make the image salsa work with my camera I first have to launch webcamxp get the camera going there then I can exit that program and then image salsa will see a live view of the camera. Not sure why I have to do that? Maybe it has some drivers to get the camera to work. I can as get the camera live view through the very basic software that came with the camera.

So here is what I would like, a current image at my website and an option to show a video of the last 24 hours (FLV preferred). Frankly if one program can do it all that would be my choice.

I looked at the forum and printed out the instructions Webcam / All day video setup. For a newbie like me it is confusing to determine what to use.  I have a Foscam FI8905W Outdoor Wireless IP Camera and I am using it as wireless IP. So with all that said how / what settings are needed in WD to make it happen.

WD is a great program!

Best regards,

Bob
« Last Edit: November 25, 2011, 06:40:33 PM by tnwxman »
Bob
KK4QXH

Offline Weather Display

• Forecaster
« Reply #12 on: November 25, 2011, 06:50:46 PM »
Hi
the WD webcamcapture program can handle IP cameras
so you could try that
and get it to capture to a file (i.e jpgwebcam.jpg)
and then you set up WD, webcam setup, to create time stamped images from that
see the FAQ I created about how to set that up
and see my movies on my web page (.swf...but you can set WD to create .flv or .mp4 or .wmv as well)
http://www.weather-display.com/windy/gb/grahamsbeach.htm
(scroll down to see)
(and you should be able to view the page source code to see how I have embedded those movies into the page (just one way to do that))
Brian
info@weather-display.com

Offline tnwxman

• Forecaster
  • KK4QXH
« Reply #13 on: November 25, 2011, 08:54:34 PM »
Hi Brian,

Got the camera working. Saving jpg every minute have the FLV set to create last day and upload last day. When does it upload? How do I get it to upload? What I would like is to upload a file that is current for the last day and the upload each day. What settings do I need to do now? How does it know what directory to upload to at my website. The root is fine but just curious. Let me know.

I have a webpage set for the FLV. I just need it to upload and to know what the file name is so I can make sure I get the correct file for the viewer. Thanks.

Best regards,

Bob
« Last Edit: November 25, 2011, 08:56:17 PM by tnwxman »
Bob
KK4QXH

Offline Weather Display

• Forecaster
« Reply #14 on: November 25, 2011, 09:33:24 PM »
make sure to set to upload...and set to create and upload the flv
in the webcam upload, all day video setup
you also need to first have the mp4 movies being created, as the other formats you select to be created get created from those
probably best if you could post some screen shots of the all day video setup and time stamped web cam files setup in WD
if you have set to upload hourly, it will be, videolasthour.flv (should auto upload that file, from the alldayvideo folder, to your web site remote directory (as set in the connections setup)
but I have to head out now..
Brian
info@weather-display.com

Offline tnwxman

• Forecaster
  • KK4QXH
« Reply #15 on: November 26, 2011, 09:19:05 AM »
Hi Brian,

The jpg capture worked until midnight and there has no capture today. The video did not update the video that exist apears to be from when I clicked on the options to create. So I must need to get some settings correctly set. What do you suggest.

Thanks.

Bob
Bob
KK4QXH

Offline tnwxman

• Forecaster
  • KK4QXH
« Reply #16 on: November 26, 2011, 10:48:33 AM »
Hi Brian,

It did start capturing when I looked at the camera setup and the file setup and it started saving the files again.
Bob
KK4QXH

Offline tnwxman

• Forecaster
  • KK4QXH
« Reply #17 on: November 26, 2011, 12:55:34 PM »
Hi Brian,

When I view the mp4 files there is no motion it seems to stay on one picture.

What settings did I not set?

Bob

Bob
KK4QXH

Offline Weather Display

• Forecaster
« Reply #18 on: November 27, 2011, 01:51:15 PM »
tnwxman, if you could .zip and email me your settings files (see the FAQ on the WD forum for how to do that)
I will check on your settings
one thing is to make sure the filename set to use to create the time stamped files is set correctly in the all day video setup and in the time stamped web files setup
Brian
info@weather-display.com

Offline tnwxman

• Forecaster
  • KK4QXH
« Reply #19 on: November 27, 2011, 07:06:00 PM »
Hi,

I have the files (2) backed up and zipped. I checked your profile and e-mail address hidden. Where do I e-mail the zip file to?

Bob
Bob
KK4QXH

Offline Weather Display

• Forecaster
« Reply #20 on: November 27, 2011, 08:03:13 PM »
Where do I e-mail the zip file to?
my email address is via the contact link on the WD web page
Brian
info@weather-display.com

Offline sebeclake

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #21 on: November 28, 2011, 07:11:40 PM »
If anyone would like to try it I have a new application that reads an IP cam or any web .jpg image.  So far I have tried it on Axis and Stardot cams.  It will upload still images to either of 2 ftp sites and also create and upload time-lapse video at a set time and at intervals during the day.  It has a 30 day trial.  Any feedback is appreciated. 
SebecTec IP cam - download from here: www.sebectec.com/ipcam

Examples - you would pasted these into the GUI
              Stardot - USC Roach Cam: http://129.252.89.30/netcam.jpg
              Axis - Tokyo Times tower: http://221.255.120.171/axis-cgi/jpg/image.cgi

-Mike

Offline tnwxman

• Forecaster
  • KK4QXH
« Reply #22 on: November 28, 2011, 07:58:37 PM »
In the two files that I saved by doing the Back up Windows registry entries I notice in the files it has my user names and passwords for the various weather groups I report to i.e. Weatherunderground. I do not want to share that. Is there a section of that file that you need and I can remove the rest? If not would screen shots help.
Bob
KK4QXH

Offline Weather Display

• Forecaster
« Reply #23 on: November 28, 2011, 08:24:44 PM »
Hi
100's of users have sent me the settings files (zipped)
so I can check on settings
I normaly change any usernames so I do not upload over the top for uploads, etc, when testing
I then delete the settings after I finished helping the person

its no problem

but If you are worried, then, yes,.zip and email me screen shots: of each tab in the web cam setup and the file save tab in the wdwebcamcapture program
Brian
info@weather-display.com