Author Topic: Atlas Lightning Interference Message  (Read 1561 times)

Offline AlanD96

Atlas Lightning Interference Message
« on: May 16, 2019, 11:47:49 AM »
Whenever lightning is in my area,  in the middle of lightning strike counts reported by my Atlas, I'll get this occasional message
"Cannot Detect Lightning - Interference Present"

The message never appears when there isn't lightning around.  It may count 52 strikes but that message pops up occasionally during the storm.

My Atlas is outside (obviously) and it not located near any source of power or computer interference, etc.   

I was just wondering if anyone else experiences this?    I bet ninceheiser has some knowledge of the situation.

Thanks

Offline DoctorKnow

• Forecaster
Re: Atlas Lightning Interference Message
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2019, 01:30:16 PM »
Yes, it happens to me each time there is a storm, on both the Atlas and the 5n1 lightning detector.

Offline nincehelser

• Forecaster
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2019, 01:47:08 PM »
When the AS3935 thinks it may be picking up a "disturber", it shuts down for a brief amount of time, triggering that message.

My Weatherflow unit throws this message quite frequently during natural storms.  My Atlas occasionally. 

The difference probably has something to do with the particular noise level settings chosen by the implementer.   

Offline Skywatch

• !!Warning!! I'm a Skywarn certified storm spotter and insane like one!
  • Forecaster
  • Hakuna Matata (Timon and Pumba)
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2019, 11:30:21 PM »
I do get this too. I think any lightning detector will experience this. I have a Boltek LD-250 that does this and labels it as “noise” but counts it separate from what it detects as lightning. I believe lightning detectors are nothing more than modified AM receiver that listens to the “crackle” that lightning generates. When the detector hears something it doesn’t recognize it flags it as “noise” or “interference”.
I live in an apartment and for the moment am not a home weather watcher.

I am a storm chaser.

Offline AlanD96

« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2019, 12:41:42 PM »
I do get this too. I think any lightning detector will experience this. I have a Boltek LD-250 that does this and labels it as “noise” but counts it separate from what it detects as lightning. I believe lightning detectors are nothing more than modified AM receiver that listens to the “crackle” that lightning generates. When the detector hears something it doesn’t recognize it flags it as “noise” or “interference”.

I believe you're right, Skywatch.   And I know about that 'crackle.'   I was an engineer at a Chicago AM radio station for 40 years, and it was the bane of my existence.   Every once in a while we'd get a new general manager who'd call me in and yell because during a lightning storm he'd hear that noise on his radio and demand that I fix it.   
Rather than explain the physics of "amplitude modulation"  I'd just tell him to tune to the other AM stations in the area.  When he heard they all had the same problem, he'd usually settle down   :lol:

I'm delighted that someone discovered a positive use for this flaw in AM transmission!