Author Topic: Atlas install pics  (Read 2681 times)

Offline jjh92

Atlas install pics
« on: April 08, 2019, 08:48:26 PM »
UPDATE - attached another 10 ft EMT pole and now have 17ft height for the anemometer.  Construction is very simple:  10ft 1 1/4"" EMT bottom pole, 10ft 1" PVC schedule 80 for top pole (3 ft inside bottom pole).  Then for added stiffness, inserted a 10ft 3/4" EMT pole inside the top PVC pole. This was a very nice, snug fit.  No guy wires but under high gusts (30+ mph) I do see a just a little wiggle (maybe 2"). Will work on that this summer, maybe (sand or spray foam inside pipes).

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]

Weather is finally warm enough in MN that I could drive a post in the ground.  Setup the Atlas in its final resting place.  Pretty much out in the open about 125 ft away from anything taller than the anemometer.  Excellent signal strength at the receiver in the house with direct line of sight through the window.

Mounted on a 10ft EMT pipe and then zip-tied to a u-post.  Pretty stable but does have a little flex but no worries about falling down in a strong wind.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2020, 05:06:35 PM by jjh92 »

Offline Jim_S

• Senior Contributor
Re: Atlas install pics
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2019, 02:59:17 PM »
Thanks for posting the pictures. I always enjoy seeing other peoples installations. If it were me I would consider backing up the zip ties with some stainless steel hose clamps.

Offline daman

• Forecaster
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2019, 12:01:45 PM »
Thanks for posting the pictures. I always enjoy seeing other peoples installations. If it were me I would consider backing up the zip ties with some stainless steel hose clamps.

I agree the sun and UV will weaken them zip ties and they can break.
KMIBADAX38
AcuRite Iris/AcuRite Access

Offline jjh92

« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2019, 04:09:36 PM »
Good advice and will change them for clamps  [tup]

Offline miraculon

• Sunrise Side Weather
  • Forecaster
  • KE8DAF
    • Sunrise Side Weather in Rogers City MI USA
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2019, 08:59:48 AM »
I have had weather stations installed for over 20 years. About 8 with Davis and the balance with a Dallas Semiconductor station. (no longer available, but used TxWx mechanicals).

My experience has been the the "natural" nylon tie-wraps are indeed susceptible to drying up and cracking in UV after a few years. They get quite brittle and I have had them fall apart on me.

On the other hand, the black "UV resistant" ones have never given me any problems and have been up for years without a problem.

Where I live in Michigan isn't a high UV location and I know that in the high desert in the SouthWest, the UV is brutal.

The only caution I would have about clamps is the possibility of the fairly sharp edges cutting into the cable, especially if the wind catches it and begins moving the cable against the worm clamp steel edges. I think that I have seen some rubber covered clamps, but this might get you right back into the UV issue.

I would wrap the cable with good electrical tape in the areas that will have the clamp to protect against this possibility.

Greg H.

Blitzortung Stations #706 and #1682
CoCoRaHS: MI-PI-1
CWOP: CW4114 and KE8DAF-13
WU: KMIROGER7
Amateur Radio Callsign: KE8DAF

Offline Jim_S

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2019, 12:43:56 PM »
The only caution I would have about clamps is the possibility of the fairly sharp edges cutting into the cable, especially if the wind catches it and begins moving the cable against the worm clamp steel edges. I think that I have seen some rubber covered clamps, but this might get you right back into the UV issue.
Greg H.

My suggestion was to use hose clamps to attach the 10' EMT mast to the "U" post. I don't see any cables near there. I would never use hose clamps to attach cabling.

I do agree that the UV resistant black ones (as in the picture) are much better than the normal white ones.

Offline miraculon

• Sunrise Side Weather
  • Forecaster
  • KE8DAF
    • Sunrise Side Weather in Rogers City MI USA
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2019, 01:13:11 PM »
Greg H.

My suggestion was to use hose clamps to attach the 10' EMT mast to the "U" post. I don't see any cables near there. I would never use hose clamps to attach cabling.

I do agree that the UV resistant black ones (as in the picture) are much better than the normal white ones.

Thanks for clarifying that, I see what you are talking about now. The worm clamps would be much better for attaching the mast to the post.

Greg

Blitzortung Stations #706 and #1682
CoCoRaHS: MI-PI-1
CWOP: CW4114 and KE8DAF-13
WU: KMIROGER7
Amateur Radio Callsign: KE8DAF

Offline WX9TRS

« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2019, 08:58:03 PM »
I use stainless steel ties that I get at Ace Hardware. Work just like zip ties. 

Offline jjh92

« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2020, 05:07:19 PM »
Bump for install update, see top post.

Offline BeaverMeadow

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2020, 08:55:05 AM »
Jjh92-- What top winds have you received since the install and did they adversely affect your rain data? I would think that by separating the anemometer (like you mentioned you planned to do in another post), you would be removing significant weight and bulk from the top of the mast which should improve on any shake induced erroneous rain data.

Offline jjh92

« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2020, 04:01:09 PM »
So far top winds have been 35mph.  This was over winter and did not register any false rain readings. For now, I do not plan to change setup except maybe to put sand or expanding foam inside the pipes to dampen sway a little.

anything