Author Topic: WS-1401 Humidity sensor?  (Read 1267 times)

Offline LivermoreWxNut

WS-1401 Humidity sensor?
« on: January 25, 2019, 12:01:45 PM »
Hey everyone!
New to the site, a bit of a weather nut. And today my Ambient WS-1401 humidity info stopped reporting suddenly this am. I rebooted it and still nothing?

Any ideas?

This unit is about 2.5 yrs old.

Current FW 4.5.1

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
Re: WS-1401 Humidity sensor?
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2019, 12:14:50 PM »
Well you could open it up and source a replacement temp/hum sensor. And brush up on your soldering skills. Or you could upgrade the entire outdoor array sensor for the newer better Osprey model that has better sensors.

$75 plus shipping
https://www.ambientweather.com/amws2902array.html

That is what I would do. You don't need anything else. This new Osprey array sensor will work with your existing ObserverIP and your indoor temp/hum/pressure sensor WS-1000-BTH.

Another benefit of changing the outdoor array sensor for this new Osprey model is that you can then at some point add the new WS-2000-C display tablet or the lesser WS-2902A or WS-1900 display consoles. But that is all optional. If you do  get the WS-2000-C display tablet later on know that it works with the WS-1000-BTH (I've tested it). So later on you won't need the WH32B.

Essentially by getting the Osprey sensor you've upgraded from a WS-1401-IP to a WS-1550-IP.  That is what you configure in your ObserverIP when you get the new Osprey sensor.

« Last Edit: January 25, 2019, 12:16:50 PM by galfert »
Ecowitt GW1000 | Meteobridge on Raspberry Pi
WU: KFLWINTE111  |  PWSweather: KFLWINTE111
CWOP: FW3708  |  AWEKAS: 14814
Windy: pws-f075acbe
Weather Underground Issue Tracking
Tele-Pole

Offline LivermoreWxNut

« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2019, 12:18:18 PM »
Well you could open it up and source a replacement temp/hum sensor. And brush up on your soldering skills. Or you could upgrade the entire outdoor array sensor for the newer better Osprey model that has better sensors.

$75 plus shipping

That is what I would do. You don't need anything else. This new Osprey array sensor will work with your existing ObserverIP and your indoor temp/hum/pressure sensor WS-1000-BTH.

Another benefit of changing the outdoor array sensor for this new Osprey model is that you can then at some point add the new WS-2000-C display tablet or the lesser WS-2902A or WS-1900 display consoles. But that is all optional. If you do  get the WS-2000-C display tablet later on know that it works with the WS-1000-BTH (I've tested it). So later on you won't need the WH32B.

Essentially by getting the Osprey sensor you've upgraded from a WS-1401-IP to a WS-1550-IP.  That is what you configure in your ObserverIP when you get the new Osprey sensor.

Thanks!
That sounds like a great idea.

Especially with my soldering "skills"...... :lol:

Offline LivermoreWxNut

« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2019, 02:34:56 PM »

$75 plus shipping

Thanks!
That sounds like a great idea.

Especially with my soldering "skills"...... :lol:

Hey there, I bit the bullet and bought the new sensor array (2902) and when I set the Weather Observer to a 1550 I can't seem to connect the new sensor array when I log into the IP address?
Any help would be appreciated!

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2019, 02:51:38 PM »
More details please.

What firmware is running on your ObserverIP?
How far away did you mount the WS-2902-ARRAY...also called WH65B Osprey sensor?
Is the red light blinking on the bottom of the WH65B?
What values are showing/missing on the Live Data page of the ObserverIP?
Is the Indoor LED lit up?
Is the Outdoor LED lit up?
Is the RF LED lit up?

Something else to test is to configure ObserverIP for a WS-1600-IP.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2019, 02:56:18 PM by galfert »
Tele-Pole

Offline LivermoreWxNut

« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2019, 02:57:19 PM »
More details please.

What firmware is running on your ObserverIP?
What values are showing/missing on the Live Data page of the ObserverIP?
Is the Indoor LED lit up?
Is the Outdoor LED lit up?

Something else to test is to configure ObserverIP for a WS-1600-IP.

Thanks for the quick reply.
Just updated to 4.5.2 firmware.
All lights are on except server (which I logged out) and outdoor. So look like it hasn't connected to the new sensor array. Ive tried pushing the reset on the array, it goes solid then just slowly flashes.
I haven't tried setting to 1600 yet.
When I log into the Obsever IP address I can see indoor readings, and nothing for outside. Feels like I'm missing a step to pair out array to weather observer.

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2019, 03:01:31 PM »
Cross post... see edits. I added more questions.
Tele-Pole

Offline LivermoreWxNut

« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2019, 03:05:08 PM »
Cross post... see edits. I added more questions.

Please see replies:
What firmware is running on your ObserverIP? 4.5.2
How far away did you mount the WS-2902-ARRAY...also called WH65B Osprey sensor? 15FT
Is the red light blinking on the bottom of the WH65B? Yes
What values are showing/missing on the Live Data page of the ObserverIP? All outdoor data
Is the Indoor LED lit up? Yes
Is the Outdoor LED lit up? No
Is the RF LED lit up? Yes

Offline LivermoreWxNut

« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2019, 03:13:02 PM »
Quick update:
I'm a dummy. I didn't remove the little plastic piece over the solar panel and I guess that was preventing it from connecting. Bizarre!

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2019, 03:13:10 PM »
Glad it is working.....A few thoughts though...

4.5.2 should work but there is a bug in that firmware that makes it report absolute pressure to WU instead of relative
4.5.1 should work but there is a bug where it under-reports UV to WU

I personally like 4.4.9 for now.

Good that red light is blinking. That means it is sending data. If Outldoor LED doesn't light up and all outdoor data is missing then the ObserverIP is not seeing the WH65B. I would reset the ObserverIP.  Copy your setting first. I always hit the reset button after a firmware update and I also power it down and back up. Always have the Ethernet cable plugged in first ...then power up. So try the reset and try the WS-1600-IP.  You are well within range so it should work. There really is nothing more to do.

Your old WH24 is it powered off? Could it be causing interference? Pull the batteries from the old WH24.

« Last Edit: February 21, 2019, 03:20:57 PM by galfert »
Tele-Pole

Offline LivermoreWxNut

« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2019, 03:22:34 PM »
A few thoughts...

4.5.2 should work but there is a bug in that firmware that makes it report absolute pressure to WU instead of relative
4.5.1 should work but there is a bug where it under-reports UV to WU

I personally like 4.4.9 for now.

Good that red light is blinking. That means it is sending data. If Outldoor LED doesn't light up and all outdoor data is missing then the ObserverIP is not seeing the WH65B. I would reset the ObserverIP.  Copy your setting first. I always hit the reset button after a firmware update and I also power it down and back up. Always have the Ethernet cable plugged in first ...then power up. So try the reset and try the WS-1600-IP.  You are well within range so it should work. There really is nothing more to do.

Your old WH24 is it powered off? Could it be causing interference? Pull the batteries from the old WH24.

I had it going for a few min (see above).
Now I switched it back to 1550 and it's taking a long time finding the outdoor and the indoor sensor. Weird. May have to leave it as a 1600-IP (Hopefully they are interchangeable)
Is there a way to downgrade F/W?

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2019, 03:28:24 PM »
You downgrade same way you upgrade. Just load up the version you want. Always reset when done to clear out flash storage from old version. It is just cleaner that way and leads to less problems. So always copy your settings before firmware update. I like to take screenshots. Don't forget Live Data page at the bottom has your rain totals.

I think WS-1550-IP and WS-1600-IP are almost the same. I'm not totally positive but I think WS-1550-IP is the same as WS-1600-IP with ability to send extra temp/hum sensors to AmbientWeather.net (you won't see them in the Live Data page though). So I believe the WS-1600-IP doesn't have extra sensor capability. The WS-1600-IP came out first....although technically they never sold this model.

I just noticed that now there is a WS-1500-IP also. hmmm...no idea what that is.

I know what the WS-1900-IP is...it is a WS-1900 that comes with a non-WiFi display that looks like a WS-2902A. Just confusing how they lists all these models as separate things when they really are all the same thing.

« Last Edit: February 21, 2019, 03:47:10 PM by galfert »
Tele-Pole

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2019, 04:00:24 PM »
Well I just tested setting to WS-1600-IP and the extra sensors still report to AmbientWeather.net. So there doesn't seem to be a difference.
Tele-Pole

Offline LivermoreWxNut

« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2019, 04:27:16 PM »
Well I just tested setting to WS-1600-IP and the extra sensors still report to AmbientWeather.net. So there doesn't seem to be a difference.

Thanks, maybe I need to set it back to 1600-IP then, It seems to not be connecting as 1550 for some reason.
Also, I t seems the link for 4.4.9 F/W is no longer available?

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
Tele-Pole

Offline LivermoreWxNut

« Reply #15 on: February 21, 2019, 04:30:49 PM »
I just downloaded 4.4.9 and it worked.

https://p10.secure.hostingprod.com/@site.ambientweatherstore.com/ssl/iptools/ambient_v4.4.9.bin

You can see all versions here:
https://p10.secure.hostingprod.com/@site.ambientweatherstore.com/ssl/iptools/

Thank you so much!
Hopefully I can get this figured out. The new array looks slick!

Offline LivermoreWxNut

« Reply #16 on: February 21, 2019, 04:57:09 PM »
Just an update.
So I set it back to 1600-IP (which briefly connected) now will not connect. I think I may need to send the unit back to Ambient. It doesn't appear like they offer any in-house tech support?

So to summarize, here's where things are currently.
Outdoor array still not being recognized either as a 1550-IP to 1600 IP
The outdoor light on the Observer is fully lit with the exception of "outdoor"
Have hit the reset on the Observer, as well as the outdoor array to no avail.
Firmware rolled back to 4.4.9 successfully.
I'm at a loss and may have to look for another weather station as I cannot for the life of me get the outdoor array to connect again after a very brief connection this am when the new paper covering the solar panel was removed.

Thanks again for all your assistance!

Ok, I'm not sure what the heck is happening, now it's suddenly working again, other then the solar readings it's a very sunny day here CA so there's plenty of solar (see attached).
Not sure if it's settings related as I'm setup as 1600-IP? But at least now the outdoor temp is connected and updating.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2019, 05:03:52 PM by LivermoreWxNut »

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #17 on: February 21, 2019, 05:24:42 PM »
Yeah something doesn't seem right. You may need to get a replacement. Ambient has excellent customer service so see what tech support has to say. Let us know what happens.
Tele-Pole

Offline LivermoreWxNut

« Reply #18 on: February 21, 2019, 05:43:15 PM »
Yeah something doesn't seem right. You may need to get a replacement. Ambient has excellent customer service so see what tech support has to say. Let us know what happens.

Will do!
Thanks again!

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #19 on: February 21, 2019, 09:18:17 PM »
I was just thinking.... Your original problem was that the WH24 (the WS-1400-IP"s sensor) was not reporting. I wonder if the old sensor is okay and the problem is really the ObserverIP? But the indoor pressure, temperature and humidity are reporting so you'd think the antenna is okay...or is it?....maybe the antenna picks up the indoor sensor because it is closer and it has trouble with the outdoor sensor? I'm probably not helping. But these are just some of the ideas I had. I suppose it would be easy to test if you had two ObserverIP's like I do

If anyone is curious why I have two ObserverIP devices it is because I use the extra one for firmware testing and I was planning on having a dedicated one for WeeWx and the other for the Meteobridge. Technically the Meteobridge and WeeWx could share one ObserverIP but while setting things up, testing firmwares etc, there would be downtime. Having two, no downtime, and more time to play
Tele-Pole

Offline LivermoreWxNut

« Reply #20 on: February 21, 2019, 11:40:33 PM »
I was just thinking.... Your original problem was that the WH24 (the WS-1400-IP"s sensor) was not reporting. I wonder if the old sensor is okay and the problem is really the ObserverIP? But the indoor pressure, temperature and humidity are reporting so you'd think the antenna is okay...or is it?....maybe the antenna picks up the indoor sensor because it is closer and it has trouble with the outdoor sensor? I'm probably not helping. But these are just some of the ideas I had. I suppose it would be easy to test if you had two ObserverIP's like I do

If anyone is curious why I have two ObserverIP devices it is because I use the extra one for firmware testing and I was planning on having a dedicated one for WeeWx and the other for the Meteobridge. Technically the Meteobridge and WeeWx could share one ObserverIP but while setting things up, testing firmwares etc, there would be downtime. Having two, no downtime, and more time to play

I'm happy to report after a few more reseting observer and outdoor array they are now firmly synced and has been reporting for over 5 hours. Using 1550-IP as the hardware (not that it seems to make any difference).
Thanks once again for helping on this!
Now waiting for the next rainfall to see how this baby performs  8-)

Offline LivermoreWxNut

« Reply #21 on: February 21, 2019, 11:49:48 PM »
Oh, just one other weird rendering issue. On WU it's not showing the pressure gradients and changes graphically on the site. Although in the Live data it's correct.

Above pic is new station, below was my old 1400-IP

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #22 on: February 22, 2019, 02:56:31 AM »
Oh, just one other weird rendering issue. On WU it's not showing the pressure gradients and changes graphically on the site. Although in the Live data it's correct.

That pressure issue is what happens when the ObserverIP sends bad data to WU. Bad data occurred while recalibration and putting in settings in like preferred units and such. Whenever I need to recalibrate or after a firmware update/reset the last thing I do is enter in station ID otherwise you get this bad data. For those with a Meteobridge you need to keep the Meteobridge powered off while putting in settings or it too gets bad data. Problem with bad data in WU is that you can't delete it. The good news is that if you wait till the next day then the graph is good again. The bad news is if you ask for a date range of a week then it could be messed up if it includes a day with bad data.
Tele-Pole

Offline LivermoreWxNut

« Reply #23 on: February 22, 2019, 11:33:02 AM »

That pressure issue is what happens when the ObserverIP sends bad data to WU. Bad data occurred while recalibration and putting in settings in like preferred units and such. Whenever I need to recalibrate or after a firmware update/reset the last thing I do is enter in station ID otherwise you get this bad data. For those with a Meteobridge you need to keep the Meteobridge powered off while putting in settings or it too gets bad data. Problem with bad data in WU is that you can't delete it. The good news is that if you wait till the next day then the graph is good again. The bad news is if you ask for a date range of a week then it could be messed up if it includes a day with bad data.

On the money again lol!
Today it sorted itself out  :lol:
Thanks again, no need to call Ambient Tech Support.

anything