Poll

What radio frequency does your outdoor sensor use to communicate with the indoor base?

Sensor to Base 915 MHz
10 (40%)
Sensor to Base 433 MHz
8 (32%)
Sensor to Base 2.4 GHz
3 (12%)
Sensor to Base 5.0 GHz
0 (0%)
other frequency
4 (16%)

Total Members Voted: 21

Author Topic: What radio frequency does your sensor use?  (Read 4773 times)

Offline kbellis

• Forecaster
What radio frequency does your sensor use?
« on: December 23, 2018, 08:38:39 AM »
What radio frequency does your outdoor sensor use to communicate with the indoor base?
After taking the poll, please identify Radio Frequency, Make, Model, and any other details in your reply.

Offline SLOweather

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
    • Weatherelement Moline IL
Re: What radio frequency does your sensor use?
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2018, 08:54:38 AM »
Davis VP2

Offline PaulMy

• Forecaster
    • KomokaWeather
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2018, 09:26:09 AM »
Need to correct my vote (also need to visit the optometrist) but no edit allowed.

Enjoy,
Paul

Offline kbellis

• Forecaster
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2018, 09:50:35 AM »
Need to correct my vote (also need to visit the optometrist) but no edit allowed.

Is it possible for the OP to edit Paul's vote? If not, could the sysop?

@Paul - Regardless, what did you intend to list?

Offline kbellis

• Forecaster
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2018, 09:53:34 AM »

Offline PaulMy

• Forecaster
    • KomokaWeather
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2018, 10:18:05 AM »
@Paul - Regardless, what did you intend to list?
Davis VP2 Plus It uses a frequency hopping spread spectrum frequency that ranges from 902 to 928 MHZ

In error I am marked as 433

Enjoy,
Paul

Offline johnd

• Forecaster
    • www.weatherstations.co.uk
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2018, 10:38:02 AM »
What about frequencies used outside the US? From memory, the VP2 is manufactured in at least half a dozen frequency variants for use in different world markets.
Prodata Weather Systems
Prodata's FAQ/support site for Davis stations
Includes many details on 6313 Weatherlink console.
UK Davis Premier Dealer - All Davis stations, accessories and spares
Cambridge UK

Sorry, but I don't usually have time to help with individual issues by email unless you are a Prodata customer. Please post your issue in the relevant forum section here & I will comment there if I have anything useful to add.

Offline nincehelser

• Forecaster
« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2018, 10:42:03 AM »
Sensors typically use 433MHz or 915MHz with a simple modulation scheme.

If 915MHz is used with spread-spectrum techniques (e.g. frequency hopping), the FCC allows more power to be used.  That's why systems like Davis can get much better range.

WiFi frequencies (2.4GHz and 5GHz) aren't typically used for sensors because of the power demands, but there are a few out there, like BloomSky.  To offset the power requirement, they likely cut way back on the transmission interval.  BloomSky is something like 5 minutes.

2.4GHz is more likely used than 5GHz because of range issues.

Offline kbellis

• Forecaster
« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2018, 11:33:05 AM »

If 915MHz is used with spread-spectrum techniques (e.g. frequency hopping), the FCC allows more power to be used.  That's why systems like Davis can get much better range.

WiFi frequencies (2.4GHz and 5GHz) aren't typically used for sensors because of the power demands, but there are a few out there, like BloomSky.  To offset the power requirement, they likely cut way back on the transmission interval.  BloomSky is something like 5 minutes.

Thanks for this information Mr. Nincehelser.

The PWS communications systems (and everything else PWS) are all new to me. Coming from a GNSS background using a variety frequencies for different communications and at differing power levels, I have been wondering why must there be an intermediary transmission in getting sensor data out to the internet, local device, and a local network. From what you've said, is it strictly a transmission power requirement, or is it largely a lingering legacy issue that results in lower RF transmissions being handed off to a secondary device?

Offline vreihen

• El Niño chaser
  • Forecaster
  • K2BIG
« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2018, 11:58:33 AM »
What about frequencies used outside the US? From memory, the VP2 is manufactured in at least half a dozen frequency variants for use in different world markets.

Most of Europe uses 868 Mhz in place of the 915 Mhz ISM band used in the USA and other ITU region 2 countries.

FWIW, Weatherflow uses 915 Mhz for most of the world, but ran a batch of 868 Mhz for original Indiegogo campaign backers who lived countries outside of ITU Region 2 that did not allow 915 Mhz transmitters.  The devices currently selling on their site are 915 Mhz only AFAIK, and can't be sold/used in countries where it is illegal.

Also FWIW, most current Acu-Rite stuff is transmitting on 433.92 Mhz.  The vaporware Atlas ELITE if it ever ships supposedly will operate on 915 Mhz, making it incompatible with all of their other sensors (and probably even their current 433 Mhz Access Internet gateway hub thingy).....
WU Gold Stars for everyone! :lol:

Offline ConligWX

• Forecaster
  • #conligwx
    • conligwx.org
« Reply #10 on: December 23, 2018, 11:59:34 AM »
Selected other since EU/UK -  868.0Mhz
Regards Simon
Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus (6162UK) • Daytime FARS • WeatherLink Live • AirLink • PurpleAir PA-II-SD • CumulusMX •

Offline BKS97

• Senior Contributor
    • Sartell East Weather
« Reply #11 on: December 23, 2018, 12:10:30 PM »
2.4 GHz - RainWise MK-111 Long Range (1 mile line of sight) - solar-powered; update rate - 2 sec.

kbellis: As you probably know, the RainWise factory is located just a few miles down the road from you in Trenton.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2018, 12:12:41 PM by bks97 »

Offline nincehelser

• Forecaster
« Reply #12 on: December 23, 2018, 01:00:38 PM »

Thanks for this information Mr. Nincehelser.

The PWS communications systems (and everything else PWS) are all new to me. Coming from a GNSS background using a variety frequencies for different communications and at differing power levels, I have been wondering why must there be an intermediary transmission in getting sensor data out to the internet, local device, and a local network. From what you've said, is it strictly a transmission power requirement, or is it largely a lingering legacy issue that results in lower RF transmissions being handed off to a secondary device?

A lot could be written about the subject.  I'm not even sure where to start.

Probably the biggest reason is that most of us are hobbyists without huge budgets.  Things have just evolved this way over the years following the lowest cost paths of connectivity.  Simple wireless sensors are pretty cheap, power-efficient, and don't need licensing.  We then started bridging the sensors onto the internet first through PCs and now more and more through dedicated devices.

Simply put, we're just tightwads.   ;)

Offline kbellis

• Forecaster
« Reply #13 on: December 23, 2018, 02:10:25 PM »
2.4 GHz - RainWise MK-111 Long Range (1 mile line of sight) - solar-powered; update rate - 2 sec.

kbellis: As you probably know, the RainWise factory is located just a few miles down the road from you in Trenton.

Yes, they've been there for the past few years in the former Display Concepts building after they folded, which was a sad turn of events. Same site for Display Concepts, but different building, burned. The local communities rallied behind the company that made fantastic works of art besides just the normal types of signage for the whole USA. They built their new building, now RainWise's new home, had a big contract shortly thereafter with the Bangor Science Museum that ran into cost issues, and then folded. I always felt like Display Concepts had gotten the short end of it. The building sat empty for a while before RainWise moved their comparatively small operation from next to the post office in Bar Harbor to the much larger facility in Trenton. Jackson Lab, largest employer in Hancock County, considered moving there for a while, but in the end, bought the former Lowes building here in town, completed a multi-year renovation, and have recently moved parts of their Bar Habor-based operations into it. I haven't been inside the Trenton building since Rainwise moved in, but drive by it frequently. More than once I thought of visiting the RainWise factory, but their high prices have always ended up discouraging me from it.

Offline kbellis

• Forecaster
« Reply #14 on: December 23, 2018, 02:12:15 PM »
Simply put, we're just tightwads.   ;)

Have me met?  :-)

Offline kbellis

• Forecaster
« Reply #15 on: December 23, 2018, 02:31:56 PM »
We then started bridging the sensors onto the internet first through PCs and now more and more through dedicated devices.

That's the part of the PWS-internet evolutionary development that seems like it might be more efficient and cost effective to eliminate separate bridging devices, and to incorporate that functionality either in the indoor base unit or the outdoor array, or both. Simply adding a mac address and port forwarding through the user's wifi router software interface, probably wouldn't be enough - I'm only guessing - but maybe something like meteobridge layered into their existing router?

As for the costs, adding OpserverIP + WeatherBridge, for example, already costs more than many a PWS.

Offline nincehelser

• Forecaster
« Reply #16 on: December 23, 2018, 03:18:49 PM »
We then started bridging the sensors onto the internet first through PCs and now more and more through dedicated devices.

That's the part of the PWS-internet evolutionary development that seems like it might be more efficient and cost effective to eliminate separate bridging devices, and to incorporate that functionality either in the indoor base unit or the outdoor array, or both. Simply adding a mac address and port forwarding through the user's wifi router software interface, probably wouldn't be enough - I'm only guessing - but maybe something like meteobridge layered into their existing router?

As for the costs, adding OpserverIP + WeatherBridge, for example, already costs more than many a PWS.

One thing that keeps the current systems cheap are that the sensors only need to transmit, and the bridging system only needs to receive.  Two-way communications aren't necessary for what they do.

Offline Gyvate

• Forecaster
« Reply #17 on: November 05, 2020, 10:29:12 AM »
Ecowitt GW1000 and HP2551 and Froggit DP1500 and WH4000SE consoles/sensors at 868 MHz
WS2350 1.6.7, GW1000(3) 1.7.7,WH2650 WiFi (2) 1.7.7 (test/backup), GW1100 2.3.1, GW2000(3) 3.1.1, HP2551 1.9.5,5.1.5;HP3500 1.7.2,WS3800 1.2.8, WN1910 1.2.3,WN1980 1.2.3;
Ecowitt WS90(2)1.3.5/1.4.0, WS80(2)1.2.5, WS68, WS69, WH40, WH31, WH31-EP, WN30, WN34L, WN35, WH32, WH32-EP, WH32B, WH57 [Lightning], WH41 [PM2.5], WH51, WH45, WH55
MeteobridgePro(2)[test,prod] 5.8 Mar 01 2024, 15185 - Blake-Larsen Sun Recorder - RPi4/weewx 4.8.0/4.10.2/CumulusMX 3283/Meteobridge RPi4B-2GB(3169)
Barani Meteoshield Pro, MetSpec Rad02 - Ecowitt 5763,34418;WU ISAARB3(WH4000SE),ISAARB22(HP2553), http://meshka.eu

Offline zoomx

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #18 on: November 05, 2020, 11:39:24 AM »
868 MHz ISM band -  Ecowitt GW-1000
433 MHz ISM band -  Ecowitt GW-1000, Oregon Scientific WRM200, Auriol Meteo station, Auriol AF-77 A1, Digoo R8g and R8H
2.4GHz WiFi - ESP8266 DIY station.

anything