Author Topic: NOAA Metar Downloads (One More Try)  (Read 1203 times)

Offline Impala88

• Senior Contributor
    • IrvineWx
NOAA Metar Downloads (One More Try)
« on: November 18, 2015, 10:58:00 AM »
Recent updates regarding fixing "crashing when WeatherCentral feature is used" and fixing "more crashing issues" notwithstanding, it does not appear that Ambient is intent upon keeping the weather station software which they are still actively selling up to date.  This is depressing as this had been a satisfactory program for getting our weather stations' information out to the world. 

How come other programs (including a several years old program [that is actually no longer supported] called Wetsock, among others, are able to get prompt updates of NOAA Metar information and VWS cannot?  Yes, I know Hamweather is the other option provided by VWS, but for some unknown reason the data from that provider is consistently 30-35 minutes behind what NOAA provides.  If Ambient has no intention of fixing the broken NOAA Metar downloads, why don't they eliminate that source as an option? 

OK, done with my rant!

Offline miraculon

• Sunrise Side Weather
  • Forecaster
  • KE8DAF
    • Sunrise Side Weather in Rogers City MI USA
Re: NOAA Metar Downloads (One More Try)
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2015, 12:10:10 PM »
I just downloaded using MetarWeather and the 20 or so METAR stations loaded basically "instantly".

Greg H.

Blitzortung Stations #706 and #1682
CoCoRaHS: MI-PI-1
CWOP: CW4114 and KE8DAF-13
WU: KMIROGER7
Amateur Radio Callsign: KE8DAF

Offline Impala88

• Senior Contributor
    • IrvineWx
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2015, 09:17:53 PM »
I have that program as well.  It's a free program and they somehow figured out how to get prompt METAR data. 

Offline ccaldow

• Woodilee Weather Station
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2015, 06:03:35 PM »
Hi

I would agree with Impala88, this is very annoying.

On a bright note I am now managing to ftp the raw metar and taf files from the NOAA web site. It only took changing the start of the text string from ftp to http to do it. Saved buying other software. if only it was as easy for metar icons - hamweather is fine... just an hour out of date.

anything