Author Topic: 1400IP sensitivity to vibration  (Read 889 times)

Offline SimonB

• Contributor
    • meteo.capetown
1400IP sensitivity to vibration
« on: June 01, 2015, 11:56:22 AM »
Newbie question. I have ordered a 1400IP which should arrive tomorrow.

My planned location is a 6" mast on the apex of my roof and which also houses an ADS-B antenna.

However I notice that today, in wind gusts of about 40mph, that there's  a bit of wobble in the mast.  Unfortunately the location precludes guy wires. So my question is how much vibration is acceptable before the rain gauge becomes unreliable. Unfortunately the answer I got from AW support was "it is sensitive to vibration and may affect the rain gauge" is not particularly helpful.

Many thanks

Offline Arktikos

Re: 1400IP sensitivity to vibration
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2015, 10:46:36 PM »
My guess based on the experience I have had with my 1400 is that it probably will be fine as long as it is level. I have had my yard torn up this since April and I have my weather station attached to a dead tree with plywood standoffs which visibly sways with wind gusts and the rain guage continues to work like a trooper with no indication of false reads or tipping the bucket too soon. I know my setup is far from ideal so will be setting it up properly before the rainy season comes.
I'd say give it a go and just watch the data to see if it seems to be reading consistently with wind compared with calm days.
Alaska Data Portal:
http://tinyurl.com/q9rp3sw

Earth: a visualization of global weather conditions
forecast by supercomputers.
http://tinyurl.com/nbrgnnr

Offline satmaster

Re: 1400IP sensitivity to vibration
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2015, 03:55:13 PM »
I have not had any problems with false rain readings. The only problems I have had is with it clearing the rain totals when it decides it needs to reboot. When the net goes down it will start rebooting so if the net goes down during a storm your totals for that storm will be 0.  Sometimes the rain total will survive a reboot sometimes it wont.

« Last Edit: June 05, 2015, 03:59:09 PM by satmaster »

anything