Author Topic: PNW November 17, 2015 Storm Video  (Read 465 times)

Offline GregJ

• Forecaster
    • http://www.SkunkBayWeather.com
PNW November 17, 2015 Storm Video
« on: November 26, 2015, 11:27:51 AM »
In the last week we have had two big storms in our area.  Winds in excess of 50 mph on both…  Lots of damage.  My Facebook followers shared a few videos and images with me.  I put together a compilation of their video as well as mine.  It is long at 8 minutes, but I felt the purpose of this video was to document the storm rather than a short story.  Some specifics about the storm….  As a low pressure system comes onshore in Washington, it has to deal with the Olympic Mountains.  The first wave will come around the south end of the range and the winds will be southerly throughout the Puget Sound region.  As the system moves onshore, if it crosses the southern end of Vancouver Island and conditions are just right, we get SLAMMED…. From the WNW….  It is called a “Strait surge” with the winds peaking in the Straits of Juan de Fuca.  In the time lapse video I share in this, you can see the southerly flow… and then you can see the cold front move through….  And shortly after that….. the wind…..  In our area, these winds were 70+.  I put the short clips from the contributors first.  Then mine is a combination of time lapse and video.  I should say “shaky” video.  I did two rounds of video showing the wind coming down Admiralty Inlet and went out to do a third when it finally hit our shore….  It was impossible to keep the tripod on the ground….  I had to run for cover….

Thought I'd Share....

Greg

Davis VP2 with VWS

"Everybody talks about the weather, but nobody does anything about it." -- Mark Twain

Offline Maumelle Weather

• Forecaster
    • Maumelle Weather
Re: PNW November 17, 2015 Storm Video
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2015, 11:40:07 AM »
Very impressive video, Greg. I do not blame you for running for cover. As always, excellent camera work by you and your fellow weather enthusiasts.

John
GR2AE, GR3, Cumulus

anything