Author Topic: Upgrade to my weather station  (Read 3843 times)

Offline msears

Upgrade to my weather station
« on: October 26, 2012, 05:19:16 PM »
Hi!

I am looking to upgrade WMR-968 weather station. I am tired of replacing parts and pieces for it. I do not like that the outdoor pieces faded and became discolored from the UV radiation, and eventually deteriorated the plastic. I like that it was modular. It was just not as sturdy or durable as I would like. The accuracy was ok. It seems to be consistent with a nearby airport ( 2 miles way).

I have been looking at Davis Instruments 6153. I like that it is more accurate, it looks to be higher quality, and I like the fan aspirated outside temp. I am willing to spend more, but only if it gets me something I want.

What else should I consider? Will the Davis meet my durability needs? I would like to set it up and forget it.  I mostly use it log data to my computer, and mostly view the information from weather underground.

Thanks for the advice.

Offline SlowModem

• Weather at the speed of dialup!
  • Forecaster
  • WX @ 26.4 kbs
    • Watts Bar Weather
Re: Upgrade to my weather station
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2012, 05:28:30 PM »
I have LaCrosse 2315, OS WMR968 and Davis VP2 (without the fan stuff).  I know what you mean about replacing parts.  I have been very satisfied with my Davis.  The temp/rh/rain is one-piece, but you can separate the anemometer 40 feet (I think it is) by wire, or you can get a separate transmitter and place the anemometer anywhere within 1000 (yes, that's right) feet (or more).

The thing I don't like about the Davis is that you have to buy a datalogger if you want to connect it to a computer.  It comes with software, too, but you don't have to use that.

However, there are some members here on this forum that make computer connections for Davis for much less than the datalogger, and people seem to be very satisfied with them.

Davis has a wide variety of accessories, and their customer service is top notch (IMO).

They have a lower-priced Vue that is one-piece, also.

I hope this helps.  Good luck!  :)
Greg Whitehead
Ten Mile, TN USA

Offline info

• Contributor
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2012, 05:48:29 PM »
Bite the bullet . Get the Davis . Be done . Don't look back. 5 yes not one problem

Offline Scalphunter

• Forecaster
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2012, 06:09:12 PM »
well had to replace my Davis humidity sensor twice so far at 122 bucks an whack. Neven have had to replace anything on my OS WMR 200 in 5 years . So go figure. All units have something that can be an problem.

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2012, 06:40:22 PM »
My only concern after 4 or so years is the POS supercap.  Otherwise,, Davis is money well spent.  Probbably the best prosumer weather station out there.
Need low cost IP monitoring?  http://wirelesstag.net/wta.aspx?link=NisJxz6FhUa4V67/cwCRWA or PM me for 50% off Wirelesstags!!

Offline Skywatch

• !!Warning!! I'm a Skywarn certified storm spotter and insane like one!
  • Forecaster
  • Hakuna Matata (Timon and Pumba)
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2012, 11:05:58 PM »
My only concern after 4 or so years is the POS supercap.  Otherwise,, Davis is money well spent.  Probbably the best prosumer weather station out there.
Read someware the supercap problem was on older VP2's. Like before 2009 stations or something.
I live in an apartment and for the moment am not a home weather watcher.

I am a storm chaser.

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2012, 02:04:47 AM »
My only concern after 4 or so years is the POS supercap.  Otherwise,, Davis is money well spent.  Probbably the best prosumer weather station out there.
Read someware the supercap problem was on older VP2's. Like before 2009 stations or something.
Uh... no.
Need low cost IP monitoring?  http://wirelesstag.net/wta.aspx?link=NisJxz6FhUa4V67/cwCRWA or PM me for 50% off Wirelesstags!!

Offline msears

« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2012, 09:10:22 AM »
Thanks for the advice. I will go for the Davis and dump WMR968.

Thank you.

Offline d_l

• Forecaster
  • Slide Mtn - Mt Rose
    • Thomas Creek Estates neighborhood weather
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2012, 09:25:13 AM »
Note that operation of a weather station of any brand does require some minimum periodic maintenance such as cleaning the rain gauge periodically and replacement of batteries every few years.  Generally the Davis unit's exterior parts will not fail for many years although they may show some cosmetic deterioration from the sun after that time.
--Dave--

Wireless VP2 w/ solar, 24hr FARS, Heater, (Envoy-WLIP)*3-Meteohub, plus custom VP2 @ 26', WL 6.0.4, WU & W4U=KNVRENO37 NetcamXL

People always talk about the weather, but they never do anything about it.  Not me.  I'm gonna measure it.  https://www.tceweather.com

Offline Skywatch

• !!Warning!! I'm a Skywarn certified storm spotter and insane like one!
  • Forecaster
  • Hakuna Matata (Timon and Pumba)
« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2012, 10:20:56 AM »
Uh... no.
http://vp-kb.wikispaces.com/Supercap+fault
I live in an apartment and for the moment am not a home weather watcher.

I am a storm chaser.

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2012, 12:04:56 PM »
Uh... no.

Sorry - stations AFTER 2009 show supercrap flaws.

Offline ukwoody

• Contributor
« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2012, 05:04:32 PM »
My beloved wmr968 died about three years back and after replacing a couple of bits I got fed up.  After trying a cheapie unit (shudders) I then settles on the davis vantage vue. Apart from the fact it really is a one peice unit so you have to think about the siting of it and slight compromise over rain gauge height, I really do love it.  The Vp2 is better, but  for the money it is great and a worthy successor to the wmr.

Woody

Offline msears

« Reply #12 on: October 27, 2012, 05:38:41 PM »
Note that operation of a weather station of any brand does require some minimum periodic maintenance such as cleaning the rain gauge periodically and replacement of batteries every few years.  Generally the Davis unit's exterior parts will not fail for many years although they may show some cosmetic deterioration from the sun after that time.

I maintained the sensors, other than the longevity of sensors and the plastic deteriorating, I was happy with it. The only thing I never replaced was the rain gauge. I live in a cold area so I replaced the batteries in late fall with lithium batteries.

I appreciate all of the feed back.

Offline VaJim

• Virginia Beach Backyard Weather
  • Forecaster
    • Virginia Beach Backyard Weather
« Reply #13 on: October 27, 2012, 07:12:11 PM »
..look no further:

http://www.rainwise.com/

:-P

Offline C5250

• Forecaster
    • Local weather
« Reply #14 on: October 27, 2012, 11:08:31 PM »
Uh... no.

FYI, Bushman magically determined that he has a supercap issue on a remote station that stopped working for some reason. Apparently, he has yet to actually get on site and verify what really happened.

Precious little in your life is yours by right and won without a fight.

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
« Reply #15 on: October 27, 2012, 11:45:27 PM »
I was up on the roof.  Bad Supercrap.  Killed the battery.  Replaced the capacitor and the battery.  When I get a chance I will switch to 24/7 power (via wallwart or POE; yet to decide).  Your snide comment was uncalled for.

Offline C5250

• Forecaster
    • Local weather
« Reply #16 on: October 27, 2012, 11:57:29 PM »
Your snide comment was uncalled for.

Where did you report that you verified this?

Precious little in your life is yours by right and won without a fight.