Author Topic: Davis Instruments Vantage Vue  (Read 4248 times)

Offline greenwoodsays

Davis Instruments Vantage Vue
« on: September 15, 2011, 03:08:05 PM »
Hey all,

I am currently considering making my first leap into owning a weather station at my home. I am thinking the vantage vue may be the best option for me due to price and overall positive reviews. However, I have a few issues that I have read about online and others that I have been contemplating that I hope you guys could clear up for me.

1) I've read in a few reviews on amazon that people were having issues with the anemometer giving consistently low windspeed readings. Is this a consistent issue with the vue? Anyone who has the station and can comment on the accuracy or lack thereof would be helpful.

2) I live in a suburban neighborhood with a pretty small back yard that is fairly shielded by trees, but has maybe a 20x30 foot open space of grass. Would it be more accurate to place the sensor in the grassy area or should I mount it on the roof of the house? The main concern with roof mounting is that the neighbors on the south side of the house have their laundry vent on the north side of their house; our vent faces theirs on the south side of our house. I'm wondering how much that will attribute to inaccurate temperature readings if both were running at the same time and I had the sensors located on the roof. I'm thinking the most logical place to put the sensors would be on the east, backyard facing side of the roof. The other neighbors don't have a visible laundry vent on the south side of their house, so the north side of our house's roof may also be viable. I'm thinking roof mounting would also make for more accurate wind readings?

3) The vue does not have a fan aspirated temperature sensor. I live in the pacific northwest, Portland, so I figure 9 months out of the year the shield will be enough to give me accurate readings. However, we do have some intense heat waves here on occasion that I am interested in accurately recording. One in recent memory being July of 2009 when we hit 106F two days in a row. My question is, in a situation like that, how much can I expect an accurate reading from the vue's temperature sensors in direct sun, under sweltering conditions?

4) The other issue I read up on involved the maintenance of the rain gauge sensor. How often have you guys found you needed to get up to wherever you had yours placed to clean in out? Once again, in the pacific northwest, bugs won't be an issue save for May through late September. In which case I wouldn't even be recording much in the way of rain events due to that being during our dry season. But how often have you guys found you had to do maintenance on the rain gauge? If you're located in my region that would be a plus.

5) Finally, back to the thermometer sensor's accuracy; we don't get terribly much in the way of radiational cooling out here, but I do know that if there is a radiational cooling event, the thermometer sensor being located about 10 to 15 feet up on the roof would provide different readings than if it were located, say, 6 feet up in the grassy location. Is there any way to get a happy medium?

6) Long term owners: how durable have you found the station? battery life, replacement parts, etc.

My leading concern is with the thermometer sensors accuracy seeing as it only has a shield and no aspiration fan...

Thanks all in advance!

Offline Skywatch

• !!Warning!! I'm a Skywarn certified storm spotter and insane like one!
  • Forecaster
  • Hakuna Matata (Timon and Pumba)
Re: Davis Instruments Vantage Vue
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2011, 03:45:51 PM »
Welcome to the forum.

I do not own a Vue, but I'd imagine if the cups wern't fixed properly this could cause issues. You have to confirm the cup assembly is snug on the shaft and make shure the screw in it is tightened.

Your backyard sounds like mine, although We don't have trees. If the trees are small it maybe easier to site the station above them. But if they're big the roof maybe the best place. Depending on how far your neighbors are, the vent shouldn't effect the station.

Heat radiance off a roof can be an issue. Generally it's good to mount station 7-10 Ft above the highest apex on the roof to avoid wind errors.

I never really have to work on my rain gauge. One advantage the Vue has over the Pro2 is the anemometer siting to the rain gauge discourages birds so that eliminates those messes.

I've delt with radiation effects in the past with a pest dome (usually found at the hardware stores in the bird feeder area). This deflects the radiation and convection away from the sensor.

On my Pro2, I've had it since February. Some here on the forum have had theirs since Davis first came out with the Vantage Pro2 and the Vue as well. But Davis has a good track record of producing high quality stations. They offer replcaement parts for nearly everything. I've never had issues with the battery my self.

If you roof mount the sensor, try to keep it around 7-10 Ft above the apex (Highest point). This helps both the temperature and the wind.
I live in an apartment and for the moment am not a home weather watcher.

I am a storm chaser.

Offline Weather Display

• Forecaster
    • West Coast Road Weather Data
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2011, 03:46:18 PM »
re the rain gauge, spiders are the worst: the cobwebs can stop the rocker from tipping and or block up the funnel exit hole (i.e makes dust/sand or debri collect in the spider web)
so a monthly check of that is prudent
as for the windspeed being too low,  might just be due to poor site location, when trying to compare with say an offical station (which will be well sited (no obstructions) and at a good height (33 ft)
Brian
info@weather-display.com
http://www.weather-display.com

Offline xykotik

• DonkeyTailWX DW6891
  • Forecaster
  • I'll deal with it tomorrow
    • DonkeyTail Weather
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2011, 09:33:10 PM »
I'm just about 140 miles north of Portland, and the weather patterns are about the same.  You get a bit more snow and overall a bit colder in the winter (from my experience spending a lot of time in Portland.)  My Vue has only been up since late December, but so far I have had ZERO problems with the sensor-suite.  It is mounted about 6-feet above my ridge, at a total height of about 30-feet with nothing else very close around, like trees that will dump junk in there.  I haven't checked it yet for spiders (I'll do it after the first freeze) but my rain accuracy seems ok, so I'm hoping that means it is ok.  I'll still check it this first season just to get an idea of what ends up in there.

There are some tall cedars and maples on my property about 100-feet south (Vue is mounted on south-side) and dense stands of still-tallish maples and alders about 100-150-feet to the east and north.  Scattered tall maples to the west at about 75-feet and to the NW is effectively open (scattered maples at a greater distance).  When the wind is blowing hard (especially from southish) my windspeed has to be low, and is definately lower than the running speeds at the airport, which is of course in the wide-open.  With breezes and "neighborhood" winds (and gusts) below 10-15mph, I think it is probably quite accurate.  The CWOP vector charts show that there must be a lot of buffetting on my station, because the "area average" always shows a much different direction and strength.  But as I learned here at wxforum, it is most definately accurate at it's fixed location.  IE, it's not the 60mph winds at the tree-tops that are knocking over my potted shrubs, it's the 20mph ones at the ground (when it's probably blowing harder way up there).

As for the non-aspirated temperature station, I find it to besufficient (imho) for our area.  The high-temp recoreded this summer (87 a few weeks ago) is pretty much as high as it gets unless there is a heatwave, and that temp agreed with all of the neighboring stations and was close-enough to the airport, which is 20 miles away anyway, with all of the PNW micro-climates.

I have only two complaints about the VUE.  Reliability of the USB version of the logger (fixable, or buy the serial version) and when I purchased it, I had no idea how quickly I would outgrow it's scalability limits.  But then again, I'm a tech-freak, and the Davis was so easy to set up (both physically and getting data online) that it left me immediately wanting more.  If I had it to do over again (and had a couple of hundred extra bucks at the time) I would have got the Pro2 instead.  But that's just me.

As for positioning, with the VUE it's a trade-off between which sensor you want the accuracy, based on optimum placement of such a sensor.  IE, wind readings are better 33-feet above the ground (standard, if you can do it) but rain accuracy suffers up where wind-speed is higher (and more accurate) but placing an integrated suite near the ground will kill your wind readings in your smallish lot.  The temp/humidity is also built-in and can be influsenced by drievways, roof-tops, etc when placed in "available" locations.  I don't think I would be too worried about your neighbor's dryer vent unless you are in an apartment and it is only a few feet away.  Between convection, diffusion and a light breeze, there are other things that would probably influence your readings more dramatically.

Do us all a favor and keep us posted on your decision process.  Many "shoppers" find it helpful to anyalyze someone else's decision/reasons too.

Facit solem suum oriri super bonos et malos et pluit super iustos et iniustos.

Springtime in Seattle...  March comes in like a lion and out like a wet lion.

Offline greenwoodsays

« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2011, 12:28:41 AM »
Thank you so much for your help and hello to another pacific northwesterner! Check out my other thread in this forum; I ended up going with a cheaper option as I was more interested in data logging. Thanks again!

anything