Author Topic: Weather Station for apartment Suggestion  (Read 1322 times)

Offline droople

Weather Station for apartment Suggestion
« on: November 25, 2018, 02:21:58 AM »
Hi All,
I haven't bought any outdoor weather stations yet, I do own two Oregon Scientific weather alarm clocks (BAR388HG and BAR218HG) though.
I think signing up this forum is a good start. :lol:

Here is the situation:
I'm living on the middle level of a about 20-level apartment.
No access to the roof (I don't think I can get a long enough power cable even if I get access to the roof)
No overhang outside of the balcony.

And my expectation:
The device can measure Temperature,Humidity,Pressure, Real-Feel, Wind Chill, Heat Index, Dew Point, etc (the more the better, Wind, Rain, UV, Solar Radiation, PM2.5, but I have mounting problem for N-in-1 outdoor sensor);
Display console is needed, easy for checking real-time data.
I need access the information remotely, so I can check my local situation even I'm on a trip.
The device can have more than one indoor sensor, so I can check the situation in the different rooms.

Question
I'm not sure if worth buying a N-in-1 station since I'm unable to mount the N-in-1 sensor correctly, at least for the wind detection.
It seems that the pricey Netatmo is one choice.

Any suggestions are welcome.

Cheers
Jason
« Last Edit: November 25, 2018, 05:11:39 AM by droople »

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
Re: Weather Station for apartment Suggestion
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2018, 09:52:03 AM »
Assuming you are allowed one on the balcony, how about a Weatherflow?
Need low cost IP monitoring?  http://wirelesstag.net/wta.aspx?link=NisJxz6FhUa4V67/cwCRWA or PM me for 50% off Wirelesstags!!

Offline droople

« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2018, 10:45:04 AM »
Assuming you are allowed one on the balcony, how about a Weatherflow?
Thank you for the suggestion, it's a interesting product.

But I'm unable to find a review from weather station website, and no consumer review on the Amazon.com. I think I also need to mount the sky unit correctly to get the precise readings, right?

Cheers

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2018, 12:49:34 PM »
Lots of reviews on this forum.  You are not going to get great weather readings in an apartment regardless of the unit.
Need low cost IP monitoring?  http://wirelesstag.net/wta.aspx?link=NisJxz6FhUa4V67/cwCRWA or PM me for 50% off Wirelesstags!!

Offline vreihen

• El Niņo chaser
  • Forecaster
  • K2BIG
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2018, 01:37:59 PM »
You do not need power or wiring to the roof.  Most stations are wireless, and run for a year or more on batteries.  A few are even solar-powered.  Whether or not the radio signal will make it through 10 floors down to your apartment is another subject.

Solar measurements will not be worth much unless your balcony is facing south (or north for those in the Antipodes).  Wind direction and rain will likely also be mostly useless.

Unless you can get at least yearly access to the roof and get lucky with the radio signal, your best bet would be to see if a local business or school will host your station in a better location.

If you *can* get access to the roof, there are non-intrusive satellite dish mounts available on Amazon and other places that were intended for flat roofs, and held down with cinder blocks or sandbags.....
WU Gold Stars for everyone! :lol:

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
    • Conditions @ CW2274 West Tucson-Painted Hills Ranch
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2018, 02:16:20 PM »
Not to be Debbie Downer, but I've said this more than once on this forum, some folks just aren't situated for a PWS and the OP definitely falls in this category, big time.

Offline droople

« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2018, 08:39:47 AM »
You do not need power or wiring to the roof.  Most stations are wireless, and run for a year or more on batteries.  A few are even solar-powered.  Whether or not the radio signal will make it through 10 floors down to your apartment is another subject.

Solar measurements will not be worth much unless your balcony is facing south (or north for those in the Antipodes).  Wind direction and rain will likely also be mostly useless.

Unless you can get at least yearly access to the roof and get lucky with the radio signal, your best bet would be to see if a local business or school will host your station in a better location.

If you *can* get access to the roof, there are non-intrusive satellite dish mounts available on Amazon and other places that were intended for flat roofs, and held down with cinder blocks or sandbags.....

Thank you for the suggestions, I think I would choose some basic home only stations then.

anything