Author Topic: Email just received from WU  (Read 2844 times)

Offline mldenison

• Contributor
    • York, PA Weather
Email just received from WU
« on: January 12, 2018, 05:04:32 PM »
Dear PWS Owner,

We want to take the time to acknowledge, explain and apologize for the PWS network issues that you may have experienced over the past week. We’re happy to say the issues are now resolved and your service is fully restored.

The interruption of service was related to the hot patches applied to our servers to correct the recent Intel hardware security flaws. We can say with 100% confidence that the data you share with us is completely safe. The patches required systems to be rebooted and, as these systems came back online, many of them did not boot up cleanly.

Weather Underground was founded 23 years ago and some of the code and infrastructure supporting the PWS Network still date back to 1994. We invested significant resources to modernize that infrastructure in 2017 and those updates are nearly complete.

We thank you for your loyalty over the years in contributing to the World’s Largest PWS Network and look forward to continue serving you.

The WU Team
Windows 7 x64
Weather PC: Intel NUC
Davis Vantage Pro 2
Weather Underground: KPAYORK30
York, PA Weather (Saratoga)
York, PA Weather (Leuven)
York, PA PWS Station

Offline gellenb

• Weather Page
Re: Email just received from WU
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2018, 05:10:39 PM »
I just got the same message.  I wonder what their list of "issues" is? 

I can see that the ftp servers still are not working and are limited to 50 users. 

API keys not working.

Rapid fire updates not working on PWS station page.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2018, 05:17:14 PM by gellenb »

Offline sho23

• KN6DZN
    • LinkedIn
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2018, 05:27:29 PM »
Well at least they acknowledge it and are working on it....

Offline jackman

• Senior Contributor
    • Echo Pines WX Station
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2018, 05:31:32 PM »
It's laughable. Thankfully my bank doesn't operate the same way.

Offline DW7240

• Senior Contributor
    • The Vicarage Weather Feed
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2018, 05:37:06 PM »
I got the same email about 30 minutes ago, I've already had to reinstate my webcam, their system told me it wasn't available - NOT TRUE.

We'll see what comes from this, I think they realise it's a little too late - users are defecting to other sites which offer better customer care - shame they didn't prioritize that earlier on.

Nick. dw7240.com.

Offline gadget_guy

• Forecaster
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2018, 05:54:31 PM »
From today's email:  "We can say with 100% confidence that the data you share with us is completely safe. The patches required systems to be rebooted and, as these systems came back online, many of them did not boot up cleanly."  So while some data bay be safe, certainly at least at the moment data from the 10th and 11th is only partially visible. 

Web cams still seem to be less than fully functional.  I think they still have a way to go.

KVAMCGAH2 - Massanutten VA Davis
KVAMASSA2 -Massanutten VA Oregon Scientific
WA2ONG

Offline jackman

• Senior Contributor
    • Echo Pines WX Station
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2018, 06:13:08 PM »
Web cams still seem to be less than fully functional.  I think they still have a way to go.

I agree:
ftp> Connected to webcam.wunderground.com.
open webcam.wunderground.com
421 50 users (the maximum) are already logged in, sorry

Offline NanoWx

« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2018, 06:42:05 PM »
... So while some data [m]ay be safe, certainly at least at the moment data from the 10th and 11th is only partially visible. 
Some stns have data from the 9th only partially visible.
Such skips in data are still present in fetches of today's data. To the extent they may be due to failures during upload, data isn't safe, because wu did not receive it.

Offline jpk1018

• Senior Contributor
  • http://www.madrussianweather.com/#
    • Mad Russian
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2018, 01:51:45 PM »
I have to ask why you would send out an email when WU is still just a crippled old shell of itself from years ago. Don't know about anyone else but my webcam is still not updating regularly to WU. And now it says that I don't have one again, even though I did get into the FTP server successfully. I just as soon they shut everything down until it was all taken care of but then again it would probably just crap out after not to long a time.

Offline brucemac

« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2018, 03:47:02 PM »
I switched my webcam from FTP to URL a couple of months ago.  It worked for a while but now it just says not "Active", whatever that means.  And the latest Android app keeps dying.  AND the web site is slower than crap anytime there's a little weather - when you need it.  So, I'm going to take my webcams and station and go play somewhere else.  Anybody got a recommendation of an equivalent service, or should I just use NWS and continue submitting my data to CWOP?

RIPieces, WUnderground.  I will miss what you once were.
Bruce McClinton
Maurertown, VA  USA
WU:  KVAMAURE1, Davis Vantage Pro2
Software:  Meteohub
Madis ID: C5286

Offline Billbo

• Joelton
« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2018, 12:35:25 PM »
I guess the gremlins are back. WU is sitting at 500 Internal Server Error most of the morning.

Offline Felix1

• PhD Engineering Physics
« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2018, 07:02:54 AM »
I have to ask why you would send out an email when WU is still just a crippled old shell of itself from years ago. Don't know about anyone else but my webcam is still not updating regularly to WU. And now it says that I don't have one again, even though I did get into the FTP server successfully. I just as soon they shut everything down until it was all taken care of but then again it would probably just crap out after not to long a time.

Unfortunately I'm afraid that small Tiger Team hadn't spent any significant time studying the users' problems and didn't really appreciate the task ahead of them. Otherwise, no way in H would that wildly optimistic e-mail have been sent out to the 'world' when most everyone and their brother knows the quality of WU has steadily declined over the years and is now accelerating.

The other thing that mystifies me is the near total silence from Jeff Masters. Of course he writes a WU blog but as one of the pioneers he could championing the user causes and helping this Tiger Team set realistic priorities.

Offline Billbo

• Joelton
« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2018, 10:36:15 AM »
My take is that we get what we pay for.

Offline WSWeather

• Forecaster
« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2018, 12:47:47 PM »
The other thing that mystifies me is the near total silence from Jeff Masters. Of course he writes a WU blog but as one of the pioneers he could championing the user causes and helping this Tiger Team set realistic priorities.
Masters sold out to TWC years ago, and rarely contributes to the "new and improved" Category 6 blog. He got his payout and I doubt he gives two hoots about anything else anymore.

Offline TJHuot

« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2018, 01:11:45 PM »
Sometime early this morning, my weather data got corrupted on the WU servers. I tried to edit out the bad records and cannot get them to stay gone. I have 2 huge spikes where false data and precipitation show up. I used to be able to remove the bad records, but thus far, I have been unable to do so.

Offline DrBobDavisV2

« Reply #15 on: January 20, 2018, 10:25:53 AM »
All was good for a few days...as of this morning, the Data Summary fields are once again blank and not reporting.

https://www.wunderground.com/personal-weather-station/dashboard?ID=KFLVENUS8

Offline TJHuot

« Reply #16 on: January 22, 2018, 05:04:29 PM »
I guess this is just as helpful as an email to support. Useless.