Author Topic: Why I don't live where I grew up...  (Read 13535 times)

Offline ncpilot

• Forecaster
    • Monkey Junction Weather
Why I don't live where I grew up...
« on: October 09, 2006, 10:41:50 AM »
NWS Forecast for: Chardon, OH
Issued by: National Weather Service Cleveland, OH
Last Update: 3:40 am EDT Oct 9, 2006

Thursday Night: Snow or rain showers likely. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 36. Chance of precipitation is 70%.

Friday: A chance of snow or rain showers. Cloudy, with a high near 45. Chance of precipitation is 50%.

Friday Night: A chance of snow or rain showers. Cloudy, with a low around 35. Chance of precipitation is 40%.
Marc
Wilmington, NC
"Monkey Junction Weather"
Davis VP2 wireless, WeatherLink

Offline ocala

• Forecaster
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2006, 04:49:36 PM »
I agree pilot, although I lived on the west side of town. I remember taking some trips out to Chardon when I was younger. I would leave with about 2 inches on the ground and get to Chardon and see 2ft :shock:
Got fed up in 89 and now enjoy Florida's liquid sunshine :D
The blues had a baby and they named it Rock & Roll

Offline anvana

• http://www.topsailweather.com
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2006, 07:48:11 PM »
Formally from the Canton, OH area myself. The things I hated most about living in NE Ohio in the winter....

1.) Scraping ice from the car windshield every morning before going to work.
2.) Having to warm up the car before going anywhere.
3.) Driving to work before the road crews get out to clear the roads.
4.) Heating bills
5.) The landscape being a shade of gray for 6 months.
6.) Cloudy and overcast skies for 6 months.
7.) Can you say "Alberta Clipper"?
8.) Heating bills and never really being warm.
9.) People who say they just LOVE wintertime.
10.) The TV weatherman.

Offline Mark / Ohio

• Live from Mars!
  • Forecaster
    • Fairfield County Weather
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2006, 08:26:42 PM »
Aw you guys are weak as water!   :lol:  :wink:

Then again I'm about 200 miles S.W. of Geauga county.  Lake effect snow only gives us some quick blustery snow squalls of a couple of inches here at the most.  I like snow but I don't particularly like to shovel or scrape it.

Many years ago I had to go for training at NAP in Westlake.  As luck would have it an icestorm set in early the day before I was supposed to be there.  That turned into a joyful drive up the interstate in my 83 Elcamino.  While there though I braved the 50 mph bitter cold winds one late afternoon and took some photos of Lake Erie and the ice sheets along the shore.  Oddly I was the only one in the little park that day.  I figured the locals to be tougher than that.  Apparently they instead were smarter than that.      :lol:
Mark 
2002 Davis VP I Wireless, WeatherLink (Serial), GRLevel3, VirtualVP, StartWatch, Weather Display, Windows 10

Offline ncpilot

• Forecaster
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2006, 10:42:39 PM »
Lake effect snow!!

There's been quite a change in winter conditions over the decades--I grew up there in the mid-60s to early 70s--back when we had REAL winter, tons of snow starting in early November and going into late March... Technically, for those that might be familiar with Geauga county, I lived in "the country" (although one might argue that back then, it was all country), south of Chardon proper, south of Mayfield Rd (rt. 322)--snow belt country...

We had a 300' driveway which I plowed with an ancient WWII era ford tractor with a rear blade, no cab or protection of any sort. Even at that young age (highshool), I don't recall liking winter. Although, snowmobiling was fun, especially doing the dumb shit things young kids do (I have 3 younger brothers).

More recently, the snow has been much more limited, and the temps warmer. People that complain about winter now don't know what it used to be like.

I had an unfortunate lapse of judgment and lived up there from '95 to '98  :wink:  I couldn't believe the panic when 2" of snow was predicted, I mean, that's just a dusting! They've all gone soft. LOL

Ocala, the dividing line seems to be 306 in Chesterland, once East of that, snowfall usually gets much heavier.

Mark--sometimes now the lake doesn't even ice over in Winter...

Now I'd rather dwell on memories of washing my car on that guaranteed 65 degree day in the middle of winter... :D  :D
Marc
Wilmington, NC

Offline Mark / Ohio

• Live from Mars!
  • Forecaster
    • Fairfield County Weather
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2006, 12:29:34 AM »
I only used my snowblower once last year.  I figured it would be good for it to run a bit, could have almost used a broom instead then.  There seems to be a pattern of the storms coming in strong then weakening at the Ohio - Indiana line, then building back up more to the East of me.  Icestorms also seem to be taking the place of the old fashion snow storm.  I love looking at the scenery traveling through the country on a cold sunny day after a major snowfall or icestorm.  I just which we did not have to put up with all the misery before we get the pretty pictures.   8)

The local weatherman and news people are already in a stew.  We might see a few flakes of snow here by the end of the week.   :roll:
Mark 
2002 Davis VP I Wireless, WeatherLink (Serial), GRLevel3, VirtualVP, StartWatch, Weather Display, Windows 10

Offline CNYWeather

• Forecaster
    • CNYWeather
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2006, 04:54:12 PM »
Lake Effect snow is the best.

I'm in a direct line off Lake Ontario just south of the
Tug Hill Plateau which in a "good" season gets upwards
of 300" of snow in spots.

I'm ready for it!!!

:D
Tony

Offline ocala

• Forecaster
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2006, 06:51:22 PM »
One thing I do miss is going to the Browns games. Didn't matter how cold it was because you were basically a walking brewery. Something about being with 80,000 other people at the old stadium. Of course they were good back then so it made  for a better time. Ah, the good old days.
The blues had a baby and they named it Rock & Roll

Offline ncpilot

• Forecaster
« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2006, 08:06:19 PM »
Well, remember, essentially the real "Browns" moved to Baltimore many years ago...
Marc
Wilmington, NC

anything