Author Topic: Atlas Solar Panel Issue??  (Read 582 times)

Offline snowman435

Atlas Solar Panel Issue??
« on: October 07, 2018, 06:22:22 PM »
Several days after setting up My Atlas I noticed a "white spot" appeared under the plastic on one of the solar panels. It is not moisture. It wasn't there when I received the Atlas and the two other panels do not have any spots. Should that "white spot" be there??
AcuRite Atlas and Pro+ 5-in-1 with Access
Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus
Davis AirLink
WU - KNJHILLS51
CoCoRaHS - NJ-SM-65

Offline nincehelser

• Forecaster
Re: Atlas Solar Panel Issue??
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2018, 06:25:47 PM »
Several days after setting up My Atlas I noticed a "white spot" appeared under the plastic on one of the solar panels. It is not moisture. It wasn't there when I received the Atlas and the two other panels do not have any spots. Should that "white spot" be there??

Can you post a picture?

Offline snowman435

« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2018, 08:00:07 PM »
George... Here is the pic. [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]
Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus
Davis AirLink
WU - KNJHILLS51
CoCoRaHS - NJ-SM-65

Offline nincehelser

• Forecaster
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2018, 08:08:55 PM »
Looks like it might be a bit of plastic flash.

It shouldn't hurt anything.

I'm not sure how easily the plastic cover is to remove.  I tried to use a small screwdriver, but it looks like it would mar the plastic easily.  Maybe something wider?

Offline snowman435

« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2018, 08:14:28 PM »
George...

Thank you for your reply. Could it possibly be that the solar panel is beginning to delaminate?
Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus
Davis AirLink
WU - KNJHILLS51
CoCoRaHS - NJ-SM-65

Offline nincehelser

• Forecaster
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2018, 08:20:49 PM »
George...

Thank you for your reply. Could it possibly be that the solar panel is beginning to delaminate?

It doesn't look like delamination to me.  I haven't seen anything that looks like delamination on any of my test units.

Over-all the Atlas plastics and panels look pretty much the same as when installed last year.

Offline snowman435

« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2018, 08:42:57 PM »
George...

Thanks again. I will keep my eye on it. Always enjoy reading your comments, ideas, suggestions, recommendations, etc., concerning AcuRite products on this site as well as other sites. Since setting up my Atlas I have experienced so many false lightning strikes I have removed the module. I have chatted with AcuRite support and performed the initial troubleshooting steps they suggested with no luck. As a result AcuRite is sending me a new module. I am skeptical it will resolve the problem since others have received a new module and the problem continued, however, it has worked for some. Strange that I only receive the false strikes when the sun hits the Atlas and fan the starts otherwise, silence. Anyway, thanks for your help.
Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus
Davis AirLink
WU - KNJHILLS51
CoCoRaHS - NJ-SM-65