Author Topic: No new snow fall for multiday reporting?  (Read 1328 times)

Offline ggsteve

• Forecaster
No new snow fall for multiday reporting?
« on: December 05, 2016, 10:07:31 AM »
I just installed my second Cocorahs gauge at my high school about two weeks ago.  Obviously, the weekends end up requiring a multiday report filed on Monday.  Today was our first day with snow.  At home this morning I filled out my daily report and dutifully recorded the new snow depth and precipitation, along with the Total snow on ground.  When I got to school I was surprised to see that there is no provision for entering "new snow" depth on the multiday report.  Further, when looking at the Station Snow Report Summary, the 4/10" of snow we got this morning is not reported under snowfall, but shows up in the total snow depth column.  Odd that they don't want to know how much snow we got during the multiday period.

Offline Cutty Sark Sailor

• WxElement panel
  • Forecaster
    • Frankfort Weather - TwinHollies WeatherCenter
Re: No new snow fall for multiday reporting?
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2016, 12:27:48 PM »
Not really, when I think about it a bit...
Snow accumulates during the period, and either blows and drifts, melts and vanishes or refreezes as Ice, becomes compacted, or sublimes during the multi-day period from last daily report date. the 'total water' for multiday would be included in Prec from gauge catch, which of course may not contain all the snow that fell . They're most interested in "Snow On The Ground" and its water content.,. and today's Core / Water content measurements are the most significant.
e.g.
"Unless observing locations and the interval of between measurements is standardized, snowfall data will be erratic and inconsistent, and not comparable from one site to another.
For example, an observer who measures new snow accumulation very frequently, and each time clears the snowboard to begin a new accumulation, will report snowfall totals that exceed what has actually accumulated on the ground. Frequent observations (hourly or every few hours) may be very useful for evaluating the intensity of snowfall, but these incremental measurements cannot be added together to give a meaningful snow accumulation." 
http://ccc.atmos.colostate.edu/snowbooklet.php
« Last Edit: December 05, 2016, 12:32:02 PM by Cutty Sark Sailor »

anything