Author Topic: Goldstar Stations  (Read 55082 times)

Offline Jáchym

• Meteotemplate Developer
  • Forecaster
    • Meteotemplate
Re: Goldstar Stations
« Reply #250 on: April 06, 2017, 02:21:21 PM »
Who cares if everything else from WU does not work... as long as our goldstars and the algorithm behind assinging them works we will all be happy :-)

I guess it is a little reward to their users, for all the problems they have, they make sure everyone gets a gold star :-) And the more problems, the more stars :-) We are all stars! :)

Offline vreihen

• El Niño chaser
  • Forecaster
  • K2BIG
« Reply #251 on: April 07, 2017, 07:17:10 PM »
I couldn't resist posting this absurd gold star screenshot:

I am testing a new set of sensors that I'm playing with, and decided to create a "throwaway" WU station to see how it tracks against my real station.  Less than 24 hours after it was created, it already had a coveted gold star!  Did I mention that my code was sending the raw pressure instead of the altitude-adjusted pressure that WU expects?  Did I mention that the station elevation was set to 10,000 feet BELOW sea level?  Did I mention that it is sitting on my deck railing, with no radiation shield to keep it from spiking 10+ degrees over the actual temperature?  Did I mention that it was sending implausible humidity readings?  Did I mention that it wasn't sending wind or rain information?  Did I mention that my *real* station is not worthy of a gold star despite tracking nearly identical to an ASOS across town?

Can anyone top this one?????
« Last Edit: April 07, 2017, 07:20:01 PM by vreihen »
WU Gold Stars for everyone! :lol:

Offline Jáchym

• Forecaster
    • Meteotemplate
« Reply #252 on: April 07, 2017, 07:21:56 PM »
-10000ft? :D Thats one hell of a station

LOL

WU goldstar algorithm did not disappoint me :-)

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
    • Conditions @ CW2274 West Tucson-Painted Hills Ranch
« Reply #253 on: April 07, 2017, 07:26:15 PM »

I am testing a new set of sensors that I'm playing with, and decided to create a "throwaway" WU station to see how it tracks against my real station.  Less than 24 hours after it was created, it already had a coveted gold star!  Did I mention that my code was sending the raw pressure instead of the altitude-adjusted pressure that WU expects?  Did I mention that the station elevation was set to 10,000 feet BELOW sea level?  Did I mention that it is sitting on my deck railing, with no radiation shield to keep it from spiking 10+ degrees over the actual temperature?  Did I mention that it was sending implausible humidity readings?  Did I mention that it wasn't sending wind or rain information?  Did I mention that my *real* station is not worthy of a gold star despite tracking nearly identical to an ASOS across town?

Soooooooo, what's your point?

:lol:

Offline Jáchym

• Forecaster
    • Meteotemplate
« Reply #254 on: April 07, 2017, 07:52:21 PM »
I think you shouldn't have posted this Arthur, some people might value their star like nothing else  :roll:

Online DoctorKnow

• Forecaster
« Reply #255 on: April 07, 2017, 08:54:03 PM »

Can anyone top this one?????

Now that's what I call a "Very well installed, high quality geek squad certified" weather station! :D:D:D:D

Offline Jáchym

• Forecaster
    • Meteotemplate
« Reply #256 on: April 07, 2017, 09:07:40 PM »
WU headquarters:

"Hey boss, they all complain our services are very unreliable, useless, poor support and they show overall dissatisfaction, what do we do about it, how do we fix this?"

"Naah... let's just give them a gold star to make them happy"

Online DoctorKnow

• Forecaster
« Reply #257 on: April 07, 2017, 09:11:48 PM »
Then, as a distraction, they pull your "gold star" every so often, and the users will think somethings wrong with their data, their hardware, or the sky is falling! ROFL

Offline Bashy

• brecklandweather.com/meteo
  • Forecaster
  • brecklandweather.com/index.php
    • Breckland Weather
« Reply #258 on: April 08, 2017, 01:34:59 AM »
I find that any break in data sent to WU for what ever reason results loss of star, as for the Met O WOW, their star just means ya been uploading data more than 350 days regardless of data breaks
Kind regards
Bashy

Offline vreihen

• El Niño chaser
  • Forecaster
  • K2BIG
« Reply #259 on: April 08, 2017, 08:32:00 AM »
Soooooooo, what's your point?

:lol:

"Do not use data for anything more than entertainment purposes!"

I think the station status message says it all, and the above sentence should be added as a disclaimer to *every* piece of data they distribute these days.....  :lol:

Offline Eno

« Reply #260 on: May 26, 2017, 12:01:39 PM »
Overnight something happened and my station was down for two hours before returning; Gold Star lost, is there a support group?   :-({|=

Offline chief-david

• Educational Weather
  • Forecaster
  • Space Academy for Educators
    • Benilde-St. Margaret's Weather
« Reply #261 on: May 26, 2017, 12:45:31 PM »
As we say in teaching-you will be back in class in 10 minutes

You can't phase me-I teach Middle School.
It's not you-It's WU.

Offline SpringHillWeather

• Weather Hobbyist
  • Forecaster
  • Spring Hill, Florida
    • Spring Hill
« Reply #262 on: May 26, 2017, 03:35:53 PM »
I think it takes 5-7 days to get the GoldStar back after a disconnect.

Just happened to me, I did firmware upgrades on my Meteobridge and ObserverIP and once past 15 minutes of offline it lost the gold star.

As for accuracy I will say the my main AW1001 gets the Gold Star along with the Bloomsky, however my WS-0900 never gets a goldstar. 

Oh well :)
Saratoga
HomeWeatherStation
Meteotemplate
Homebrew
Ambient 1001 | ObserverIP | Meteobridge | MeteoPlug

Offline WheatonRon

• Forecaster
    • WUnderground
« Reply #263 on: May 26, 2017, 03:47:54 PM »
WU is goofy at best. See attached screenshot. Not reporting but reported 9 minutes ago? Talk about oxymoron!

Most of the time, my PWS receives the highly touted and coveted, Goldstar designation and other times not for no apparent reason. Our weather is unreliable but whether my PWS receives the Goldstar designation is even more unreliable than our weather! Since Big Blue took over WU, things at WU have not gotten better, maybe not worse, but certainly not better!
« Last Edit: May 26, 2017, 04:52:05 PM by WheatonRon »
Davis VP2 with SHT31 (3 complete VP2 systems—2 with a daytime fan and 1 that has a 24 hour fan); CWOP--CW5020, FW3075 and FW4350; WU--KILWHEAT17, KILWHEAT36 and KILWHEAT39; WeatherCloud.net; CoCoRaHS--IL-DP-132; and Weatherlink 2.0

Offline SpringHillWeather

• Weather Hobbyist
  • Forecaster
  • Spring Hill, Florida
    • Spring Hill
« Reply #264 on: May 26, 2017, 03:52:20 PM »
WU is goofy at best. See attached screenshot. Not reporting but reported 9 minutes ago? Talk about oxymoron!

I had the same thing after my disconnect.  I think it was because both the Meteobridge and ObserverIP send data to WU.

I ended up turning off the meteobridge update and let the ObserverIP sync and then once it went back to normal I then turn the meteobridge updates back on.  I notice that my AW1001 only showed RAPID fire when the Meteobridge was set to 30 secs or shorter.  Without the meteobridge and just ObserverIP the station when to 'normal'.   Don't know when they changed that since there isn't an option or link to the RAPID fire anymore.

Saratoga
HomeWeatherStation
Meteotemplate
Homebrew
Ambient 1001 | ObserverIP | Meteobridge | MeteoPlug

Offline cbh3

« Reply #265 on: August 16, 2017, 01:11:37 PM »
Gold star stations are gone now?
« Last Edit: August 16, 2017, 01:14:11 PM by cbh3 »
WU: KROCKF4 || CWOP: C9861 || CoCoRaHS: MI-KN-83 || Blitzotung: 1737
Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus --> Meteohub
weather.huffman.info

Offline Jáchym

• Forecaster
    • Meteotemplate
« Reply #266 on: August 16, 2017, 01:14:34 PM »
Looks like I lost mine as well, cant stop crying since I noticed

Offline miraculon

• Sunrise Side Weather
  • Forecaster
  • KE8DAF
    • Sunrise Side Weather in Rogers City MI USA
« Reply #267 on: August 16, 2017, 01:33:24 PM »
Mine is still there. I am so very proud.  :roll:

Greg H.

Blitzortung Stations #706 and #1682
CoCoRaHS: MI-PI-1
CWOP: CW4114 and KE8DAF-13
WU: KMIROGER7
Amateur Radio Callsign: KE8DAF

Offline cbh3

« Reply #268 on: August 16, 2017, 01:41:10 PM »
Weird. I checked a few in my area (mine included) and they are gone. Hmmm...

I won't worry about it since my CWOP data quality seems just fine.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2017, 01:44:33 PM by cbh3 »
WU: KROCKF4 || CWOP: C9861 || CoCoRaHS: MI-KN-83 || Blitzotung: 1737
Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus --> Meteohub
weather.huffman.info

Offline gillesroszak

• Contributor
  • Qui trop écoute la météo, passe sa vie au bistrot.
    • meteokerbach
« Reply #269 on: August 16, 2017, 02:02:00 PM »
Mine is always there,I think they love me !!!!! ;) ;) ;) ;) ;)

Offline 92merc

• BismarckWeather.net
  • Forecaster
  • BismarckWeather.net
    • BismarckWeather.net
« Reply #270 on: August 16, 2017, 02:55:16 PM »
Both my Bloomsky and Davis Stations still have a gold medal.  :-)
https://www.BismarckWeather.net
Davis VP2, Cumulus, WeatherDisplay, Blitzortung, Saratoga Scripts, NOAA Stream via PI

Offline WheatonRon

• Forecaster
    • WUnderground
« Reply #271 on: August 16, 2017, 05:57:48 PM »
I too just lost my Goldstar status. Depression is setting in, but will try an antidepressant until it returns. Will start with a mild antidepressant and hope that one calms my fears. If not, may resort to a drug that requires to be administered via an IV. Hospitalization is a possibility! Come on IBM! Spend some money to get those Goldstars back!

« Last Edit: August 16, 2017, 06:34:43 PM by WheatonRon »
Davis VP2 with SHT31 (3 complete VP2 systems—2 with a daytime fan and 1 that has a 24 hour fan); CWOP--CW5020, FW3075 and FW4350; WU--KILWHEAT17, KILWHEAT36 and KILWHEAT39; WeatherCloud.net; CoCoRaHS--IL-DP-132; and Weatherlink 2.0

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
    • Conditions @ CW2274 West Tucson-Painted Hills Ranch
« Reply #272 on: August 16, 2017, 06:16:16 PM »
I was gonna say "only the cool kids get stars" but mine just disappeared too. :evil:
Time to start a riot... :-"

Offline vreihen

• El Niño chaser
  • Forecaster
  • K2BIG
« Reply #273 on: August 16, 2017, 06:51:44 PM »
Funny story.  My main station doesn't have a gold star, but my secondary experimental one does.  In order to qualify for that gold star, you apparently cannot send wind/rain data, and must keep your temperature sensor in the sun with no solar shield.  You can't make this stuff up.....

Offline Bashy

• brecklandweather.com/meteo
  • Forecaster
  • brecklandweather.com/index.php
    • Breckland Weather
« Reply #274 on: August 17, 2017, 12:45:51 AM »
I lost mine yesterday, i went out for three hours, yep, just three hours to come back to windows login screen
There appeared to be a BSoD 1 hour after leaving, it even lost my auto sign in settings else it would have signed
into windows and carried on, i would have been none the wiser, annnyhoo, what with that down time and my
memtest down time after i got in, a total of about 2.5 hrs with a break in between, i lost my star, i checked yesterday
evening and it was gone, vanished, vamoosed, no more, finito, ok, ya get the message, it was plucked right off my  lapel

Now, with me, the gold star is very simple in its workings, if i send data consistently regardless of what sensors are sent
if its consistent, i get me a star, if theres a substantial break i lose it until it becomes consistent again, i do not know
how long the break needs to be but, i have been down for an hour in the past and still kept the star so, somewhere
between 1 hour and 2.5 hours :) Also, i do not know how long the time needs to be for it to be consistent either
i do not believe its the full 5 days as stated, but, there was a time not too long back where i had to wait what felt
like an eternity, although in reality it was prob closer to the 5 days +/-

I dont care what anyone else says, thats how it works for me, if you say any different,
I hereby, reserve the right to, substitute your reality for mine or is that vice versa, either way, i know what i mean,
consider ya self substituted  ;)  :-P :lol:

PS, i should point out that its not data accuracy merited unless your station is reported, it is consistency merited only
i could be reporting the conditions on mars, it wouldnt make any difference as long as i was sending consistent data.

PPS, i will update this when it comes back, then we can see how long it takes compared to the 5 days as stated...
« Last Edit: August 17, 2017, 12:58:51 AM by Bashy »
Kind regards
Bashy