Author Topic: How to Make Backlight Stay "ON"  (Read 3278 times)

Offline Bo_Diddley

How to Make Backlight Stay "ON"
« on: April 11, 2012, 10:53:25 AM »
Hello fellow weather enthusiasts!

I  recently purchased the 01015 weather station and so far have been VERY impressed with the accuracy of the unit.  Lots of neat stuff and cool features, and the ability to measure rainfall is certainly an added plus.  Base unit loses touch with the sensor a few times a day--but it comes back within a few minutes and I've never entirely lost the connection--yet anyway.  So far, so good.

My question is, I'm running the base off batteries and also have the AC adapter plugged in the back--but I don't know to make the backlight on the unit stay on continuously.  The manual clearly states that if the AC adapter is being used, the backlight can be continually run, but after a few seconds it always shuts off--as if somehow it doesn't "know" I'm using the adapter or have the unit plugged into the wall outlet.  The instructions weren't exactly clear on this feature.  Anyone care to chime in?

Thanks in advance for all the help!
« Last Edit: April 13, 2012, 01:44:26 AM by Bo_Diddley »

Offline vreihen

• El Niņo chaser
  • Forecaster
  • K2BIG
Re: How to Make Backlight Stay "ON"
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2012, 08:05:01 PM »
The backlight on my 1515 console works as your instructions described.  Could there be a problem with your transformer or plug?  How about pulling *all* of the batteries out and seeing if the console is receiving power from the transformer?  The manual on the 1515 implies that the console can run on only half the batteries, hence suggesting pulling them all for a valid transformer power test.....
WU Gold Stars for everyone! :lol:

Offline Bo_Diddley

« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2012, 05:40:54 AM »
Thanks for the tip.  However, I tried a multitude of things, and after taking my tester out and finding no voltage at the pin, I've concluded that the adapter is indeed faulty.  Does Acurite provide replacements?

Thanks!

Offline Rhino

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2012, 09:31:05 AM »
Sorry about that- That is actually fairly rare to have a bad power supply- I have personally picked these from our warehouse stock a few times a week and set them up for ongoing testing and have not ran across a bad adapter yet.

AcuRite would indeed take care of your adapter. Make sure you register your product warranty first though-
https://www.acurite.com/productregistration/productregistration/setRegistrationMethod/

Then give our customer care department a call toll-free at (877) 221-1252.

Thanks!

Offline kray1000

• Purveyor of wry
  • Forecaster
    • http://www.roanokevalleyweather.com
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2012, 06:35:59 PM »
Sorry about that- That is actually fairly rare to have a bad power supply-

I've personally run across two bad adapters for the Davis stations already.  Unfortunately it is in fact a common problem, one that probably applies to a number of different brands.

Offline Dartman

• Village Idiot
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2012, 06:40:13 PM »
Adapters can be DOA so I spose if you don't want to wait just find a generic one with the proper tip and specs and run it that way, rather then waiting on a replacement.