Author Topic: snow proof anemometer?  (Read 2838 times)

Offline rosco

snow proof anemometer?
« on: January 22, 2017, 10:55:02 PM »
I'm sure this topic has been covered but I am a new member and would appreciate a suggestion.  I live in the Tahoe area at 7000 ft.  I want to be able to measure the wind speed at my house.  For Christmas, my girlfriend gave me the Ambient Weather Observer 1001 WIFI model.  However, I cannot imagine how this thing would function for 10 minutes during or after a snow storm!!
   I contacted Ambient about my location and was advised that their product would indeed work here and that I should "spray silicone on it first to keep the snow from sticking" !!
    Since January began we have received over 18 ft. of snow.  Everything is white.
     Is there an affordable anemometer on the market with a built-in heater?

Offline WA7FWF

• Contributor
  • Blitzortung 1196
Re: snow proof anemometer?
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2017, 10:59:03 PM »
maybe spray it with this stuff? http://www.hydrobead.com/   

Offline Scalphunter

• Forecaster
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2017, 11:18:28 PM »
No there is  not. Closes you can get to snow proof is an R M Young.
 Also I have mention several ties how to  almost snow proof an anemometer on this forum  but it seems no one listens as they are caught up with their agenda.  If you hunt around you might  find those links.

John

Offline rosco

« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2017, 12:12:29 AM »
Hey John,
Don't know where you're located but as I mentioned we get A LOT of snow here.  18 ft. in the last few weeks.
I am excited to install my new Ambient station but cannot fathom how it wouldn't get completely wadded up w/ snow and cease to function. 
    I have thought about mounting it under my roof eave but anywhere it would be able to measure wind it will surely have blowing snow landing on it.  Again, A LOT of snow.   And, I've considered mounting a heater next to it but every time it would come on, the temp. reading would be useless...
    If you have any suggestions as to either recommended location or ideas about how to "snow-proof" I'd love to hear it. 
     I have looked at heated anemometers online but they can be pretty spendy.  i.e. $1200 and up.  I am only looking to witness conditions at my house out of curiosity and don't need to spend a ton of dough.

Offline Scalphunter

• Forecaster
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2017, 02:05:28 AM »
window washer pump and container from an car, spray head  from wiper and some tubing and 12 volt motor cycle battery.  mount it so head sprays deicer on to your  cups.    You  might have to play around a bit to get proper pattern. I also have used this set up on my ham rotor on tower.  Don't get your  heavy snow  but what we get here along with freezing rain can also hang up equipment.  I'm in Alaska in the  cold interior

John

Ps any junk yard or may be friend that has an junker will do.

Offline vreihen

• El Niņo chaser
  • Forecaster
  • K2BIG
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2017, 06:05:56 AM »
One of my predictions for 2017 is that more than one consumer-priced ultrasonic anemometers will hit the market.  (I don't consider the current Netatmo offering to be a useful measuring tool given its infrequent update times.....)
WU Gold Stars for everyone! :lol:

Offline hankster

• Forecaster
    • NFM Weather
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2017, 07:40:22 AM »
Used to live in Michigan. Snow isn't really the problem as long as there is wind to keep the cups moving. The real problem is sleet and freezing rain. I used to use a Super Soaker filled with warm windshield washer fluid for the times it would freeze up.

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
    • Valentine Nebraska's Real-Time Weather
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2017, 10:12:11 AM »
I've never had an issue here because it seems we always have wind. We don't measure in feet however.  :lol:

They do make a ultrasonic (heated optional) for Davis stations but not sure if it will work here.
Randy

Offline rosco

« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2017, 11:14:28 AM »
John, thanks for the idea.  Do you run your pump on a switch, timer, sensor??  Using wiper fluid sounds like it may work but I still think I will need to mount this thing under cover (roof-eave) which kills some of it's features i.e. U.V. index, rain-gauge, etc.  Unless I want to relocate it each spring and fall... Have you had luck keeping snow/ice at bay with your sensors mounted in the open?
    I guess at this time there is no such thing as an off-the-shelf , "consumer-priced" (as vreihen says) station on the market that will perform in snow country.  Shame.  I' would think the weather station companies would want to tap into the snow country market as we receive extreme weather conditions and need to rely on forecasts and readings for everyday activities-work and play.
     Who's interested in producing one?? just kidding

Offline rosco

« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2017, 11:32:14 AM »
Hey Valentine,
do you have a model number??
(They do make a ultrasonic (heated optional) for Davis stations but not sure if it will work here.)

Offline rosco

« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2017, 11:59:59 AM »
I found this: 3R UAV01 Ultrasonic Anemometer for DAVIS VP2.   LIsted for just under $800.  Ouch.
Didn't see any mention of a heater but there are no moving parts and perhaps snow doesn't affect it's readings.  It looks nice but i see they show them listed for ski areas which is who I think should have something like this.   Not your average Joe.

Offline CNYWeather

• Forecaster
    • CNYWeather
« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2017, 12:14:04 PM »
I'm sure this topic has been covered but I am a new member and would appreciate a suggestion.  I live in the Tahoe area at 7000 ft.  I want to be able to measure the wind speed at my house.  For Christmas, my girlfriend gave me the Ambient Weather Observer 1001 WIFI model.  However, I cannot imagine how this thing would function for 10 minutes during or after a snow storm!!
   I contacted Ambient about my location and was advised that their product would indeed work here and that I should "spray silicone on it first to keep the snow from sticking" !!
    Since January began we have received over 18 ft. of snow.  Everything is white.
     Is there an affordable anemometer on the market with a built-in heater?

I'm in Central NY. We get some dumps of lake effect snow. I'm on my 2nd VP2 and after 20+ years, I have never really
had a problem at all with snow bogging down the wind instruments. Only difficulty is freezing rain. Now, we'll see tonight/tomorrow
since were supposed to get up to 9" of heavy wet snow but we'll have up to 40 mph winds. Stay tuned!
Tony

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2017, 12:14:56 PM »
DIY: http://forum.arduino.cc/index.php/topic,8535.0.html  I'd try this if I could use a Raspberry Pi.  No knowledge of Arduino.
Need low cost IP monitoring?  http://wirelesstag.net/wta.aspx?link=NisJxz6FhUa4V67/cwCRWA or PM me for 50% off Wirelesstags!!

Offline Scalphunter

• Forecaster
« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2017, 02:23:34 PM »
I  just use it as I need it.  Too many critter   in 1000 lb range move thru where the WS is and they all like to check it out. I keep every thing in an storage box  and  connect it up as needed to use it.  Just the spry heads and tubing are lefted in place.

John

Offline rosco

« Reply #14 on: January 23, 2017, 05:04:29 PM »
Thanks for the ideas everyone.  I think the general consensus with snow country and functional weather stations or devices is that you have to pay to play.  Of course snow-proof instruments are available but they are expensive.  I notice though that many people are posting their data to Wunderground in my area.  And, it would be interesting to know how snow affects their devices but Wunderground runs painfully slow on my computer and I just don't have the patience to research models and try to figure out how to contact their owners. 
     If anyone lives in an area that receives ski area quantity snow and has a personal weather station that works in that area, I'd love to hear about it.
thanks

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
    • Valentine Nebraska's Real-Time Weather
« Reply #15 on: January 23, 2017, 08:23:53 PM »
I found this: 3R UAV01 Ultrasonic Anemometer for DAVIS VP2.   LIsted for just under $800.  Ouch.
Didn't see any mention of a heater but there are no moving parts and perhaps snow doesn't affect it's readings.  It looks nice but i see they show them listed for ski areas which is who I think should have something like this.   Not your average Joe.

That's it they have a different model with heater option. You would need to contact Darrera and see if heater could be added. https://www.darrera.com/en/detalle-producto.php?d=1&id=229
Randy