Author Topic: Fall 2016  (Read 25576 times)

Offline zackdog

• Forecaster
    • Winter Park Highlands Web cams
Fall 2016
« on: August 26, 2016, 12:22:44 PM »
Fall has arrived.  Some of the aspens have begun to turn yellow.  I have had 14 days with an over night low in the 30°s so far in August, but none below freezing.  The peaks have been white with snow twice in the last week.

I love Fall.

Mark

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]
Five days later.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2016, 07:57:46 PM by zackdog »
"You don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows." - Dylan

Vantage Pro2 Plus w/ 24 hr FARS and (2) VantageVues

VP2 uploading via Vue console to CWOP, WU, PWS, and Weathercloud.

Offline WeatherHost

• Forecaster
Re: Fall 2016
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2016, 01:52:31 PM »
I have no interest in snow and am not fond of 30s, but I'm about done with The Muggies, so I'll welcome October.

Offline Scalphunter

• Forecaster
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2016, 02:19:01 PM »
October is when the snows start staying and temps dip to stay around the zero mark before they plunge below it in November. Aspen and Birch here been yellowing up since mid august. Getting close to hibernation time.

John

Offline W3DRM

• Forecaster
    • Emmett Weather
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2016, 04:35:49 PM »
October is when the snows start staying and temps dip to stay around the zero mark before they plunge below it in November. Aspen and Birch here been yellowing up since mid august. Getting close to hibernation time.

John

Hi John - just had to ask - is that "your" hibernation or the animals?  ;)
Don - W3DRM - Emmett, Idaho --- Blitzortung ID: 808 --- FlightRadar24 ID: F-KBOI7
Davis Wireless VP2, WD 10.37s150,
StartWatch, VirtualVP, VPLive, Win10 Pro
--- Logitech HD Pro C920 webcam (off-line)
--- RIPE Atlas Probe - 32849

Offline Scalphunter

• Forecaster
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2016, 03:46:16 PM »
It is both me and the  bears.  Most the other critter are active all winter. Hopefully the lynx and fox in the area will whittle down the rabbit population a bit this winter. With rabbit population high so is tulimeria or rabbit fever. Nasty stuff if you get it thru cleaning and skinning a rabbit. Also it pasted along into dogs and cats where they come in contact with sick bunny. Hope the cow moose and her two calves stick around like they been.

John

Offline Jáchym

• Meteotemplate Developer
  • Forecaster
    • Meteotemplate
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2016, 03:53:46 PM »
I sometimes have a feeling that for some people that I work with hibernation period starts on Jan 1st and ends on Dec 31st.. :D

Offline Scalphunter

• Forecaster
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2016, 09:32:43 PM »
First freeze this morning for the 16/17 winter season. Got down to 31. Now to enjoy the brief Indian summer. Was a bit cool last night as was out watching northern neon hoping to get some pixs. They stayed in what I call ghost lights where the gas glows but never fires up. After I put camera away about 0230 crawled into bed and looked out window and the lights where going crazy.
Never fails. Laird there in bed watching them till I fell to snore land.

John

Offline Scalphunter

• Forecaster
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2016, 12:10:02 PM »
Last day of August goes out with an overnight low at 29 deg. Looks like be digging taters this week end. NWS saying temps for weekend above normal with lows into high 30's. But these clear nights are allowing \emps to drop more here at our area due to micro climes.

John

Offline Central Maine Weather

• Forecaster
    • Central Maine Weather
« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2016, 02:03:58 PM »
It's been one of the warmer and drier summers that I can remember in a while here in Maine. The weaker trees (mostly maples and some birches) are starting to turn colors here as well, but it won't be another few weeks before things really start to pop. Peak foliage here in West-Central Maine is late September through mid October.

We've only been as low as 45F so far this month. Should see our first frost sometime soon hopefully. I'm a big fan of the cooler weather, so this summer has been tough with high heat and humidity throughout (by Maine standards that is!)  ;)

- Matt
Central Maine Weather | Manchester, ME, USA
Davis Vantage Pro2 w/24hr FARS & WeatherLink Live
CWOP ID GW1328
CoCoRAHS ID ME-KB-55
My YouTube Channel = https://www.youtube.com/@OffTrailMaine

Offline Aardvark

• Forecaster
  • Tonto to Lone Ranger : "never take off mask.
    • turned off
« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2016, 07:47:34 PM »
Iowa has been quite different, a lot of rain and heat. So far this month we've had 6.70 inches of rain.   More rain this weekend.    Depends on who you ask, but winter probably will be harsh in this climate, with a lot of moisture and with that snow and cold.   I hate ice.

Offline Scalphunter

• Forecaster
« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2016, 02:48:19 PM »
28 deg here this AM. Northern lights were in good show last night about 3 AM meranding  across the sky like an river north to east. Watch them for an bit. With this cooler weather cranberries are ripping and the xyl is busy out picking most of the day. Still getting some late blueberries.

John

• Forecaster
    • Central Maine Weather
« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2016, 04:57:33 PM »
28 deg here this AM. Northern lights were in good show last night about 3 AM meranding  across the sky like an river north to east.
John
Send some of that cool weather here! Our low this morning in Leeds, Maine was 52F, with the low only dropping down to around 47F tonight. We're still waiting for that first forecasted low in the 30's, and I can't wait for it to happen! I did go for a hike up one of our local 4,000FT mountains earlier today however and it was only in the mid 40's for a high.

Apparently (I wasn't awake to see them) the Northern Lights were spectacular in our area last night too. Here is a photo that a local meteorologist shared from a weather viewer here in Western Maine. I'll have to keep my eye out for them more often!

- Matt
CWOP ID GW1328
CoCoRAHS ID ME-KB-55

Offline zackdog

• Forecaster
    • Winter Park Highlands Web cams
« Reply #12 on: September 10, 2016, 08:55:40 AM »
Low this morning, 25.3° F.  Aspens yesterday.  Some have already lost their leaves.

Mark

"You don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows." - Dylan

Vantage Pro2 Plus w/ 24 hr FARS and (2) VantageVues

VP2 uploading via Vue console to CWOP, WU, PWS, and Weathercloud.

Offline Jáchym

• Forecaster
    • Meteotemplate
« Reply #13 on: September 10, 2016, 09:15:42 AM »
Its crazy over here....

So in August we had daily maximums even as low as 12C (53F), which is very rare. And now? As Im writing this, it is sunny and temperature 33C (92F). What a nice fall... I think I should post about current weather here in the Summer 2016 thread...

Online PaulMy

• Forecaster
    • KomokaWeather
« Reply #14 on: September 10, 2016, 09:26:43 AM »
Mark, that is some beautiful colour!  We are still 3 to 4 weeks away from such beauty...

Enjoy,
Paul

• Forecaster
    • Central Maine Weather
« Reply #15 on: September 10, 2016, 09:30:09 AM »
Mark, that is some beautiful colour!  We are still 3 to 4 weeks away from such beauty...

Enjoy,
Paul

Same for us here in Western Maine, about 3 weeks away. We had a high temp of 88F yesterday which was close to a record high! Still hasn't felt much like fall here yet, but next week highs should be in the 60's with lows in the 30's and 40's. I'm ready for the cooler weather and bright fall colors for sure!
CWOP ID GW1328
CoCoRAHS ID ME-KB-55

Offline Jáchym

• Forecaster
    • Meteotemplate
« Reply #16 on: September 10, 2016, 09:39:12 AM »
Just spoke with my colleagues upstairs from the forecasting department, so 10 minutes ago we broke the alltime record for Sep 10th...

Offline ocala

• Forecaster
« Reply #17 on: September 10, 2016, 01:45:16 PM »
On the back side of Hermine there was a prolonged NNE flow.
Got down to 62 here! I know some of you are rolling your eyes but that felt dam good after this hot summer.
We're about 5 weeks away from our first cold front of the year.
The blues had a baby and they named it Rock & Roll

Offline Scalphunter

• Forecaster
« Reply #18 on: September 10, 2016, 01:59:30 PM »
Ocala I'll share my 29 degrees with you.  After last rain temps dropped again into the 20's. Daytime tps are high 40's to low 50's with some mentioning of snow in next week forecast. Sunday and Monday they are forecasting 50 mph gap winds along the Alcan and my zonal forecast. First stay around snow is generally around Oct. 5th but has come in mid Sept. some years.

John.

Offline WeatherHost

• Forecaster
« Reply #19 on: September 12, 2016, 03:33:48 PM »
We're in that odd transitional time that isn't really Summer or Fall.  Low this morning was in the low 50s, but highs this week will be upper 80s to near 90.  It gets hot later in the day and doesn't last as long, then falls off quicker after dark.

And the only Wooley Worm I've seen this year so far was an odd light brown, almost butter yellow color.  I'm not sure I recall seeing one that color before.

« Last Edit: September 12, 2016, 03:35:31 PM by WeatherHost »

Offline Bunty

• Forecaster
  • Stillwater, home of Oklahoma State University
    • Welcome to Stillwater Weather
« Reply #20 on: September 17, 2016, 08:32:08 PM »
Rainbow this evening during the rain delay at the stadium for the OSU vs Pittsburgh game at Stillwater.  The storm that went through wasn't severe.

Also the 2nd home page using modified AltDashboard 6.95 at http://stillwaterweather.com/2ndhome.php

Offline Jáchym

• Forecaster
    • Meteotemplate
« Reply #21 on: September 17, 2016, 08:45:32 PM »
Very nicely symmetrical :)

Offline WeatherHost

• Forecaster
« Reply #22 on: September 18, 2016, 05:03:51 PM »
And the only Wooley Worm I've seen this year so far was an odd light brown, almost butter yellow color.  I'm not sure I recall seeing one that color before.

Saw another one the other day (and only the second one so far this year) that was the same color.  Remains to be seen what, if anything that means.

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
    • Valentine Nebraska's Real-Time Weather
« Reply #23 on: September 19, 2016, 08:32:47 AM »
Been down in Sun City (Phoenix area) last week and half, still low 100's. I have a choice of relocating here but just can't live in this kind of heat. Its nuts why over 4 million people choose this climate.
Randy

Offline corwyyn

• Forecaster
  • Far, far east Mesa, AZ
    • Sleeping Saguaros Weather  Mesa, AZ
« Reply #24 on: September 19, 2016, 10:07:43 AM »
Speaking as one of those 4 million folks I would have to agree to a point, but when January comes and most of the country is walking around in jackets, parkas and heavier clothes we'll be in shirt sleeves with the occasional flannel or windbreaker.  So far this month it's gotten down to 66° but we've got a possibility of moisture with the remnants of Hurricane Paine so it may get cooler. 

But I'm with Weatherhost waiting for October - that's when things really get nice around here!
Kevin
AD5VG
Blitzortung station 1042