Author Topic: Analysis of Number of Weather Stations by Brand / Type  (Read 7013 times)

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
Analysis of Number of Weather Stations by Brand / Type
« on: August 10, 2018, 11:19:23 PM »
MODERATORS: please don't move this thread to WU section. The purpose of this thread is not to discuss WU, but rather to inform would be buyers what is most popular going by what shows up on WU. Thanks!

I took a data export of the Weather Underground weather stations for Florida. The balance of different brands (types) might be a good indicator of other locations.

I did this twice this year. June 19 and August 10.

Here are the results. I have the data in Excel and I created custom formulas to tabulate the following.
(Jump to this post for latest numbers (Oct 2018): https://www.wxforum.net/index.php?topic=34900.msg361260#msg361260)

June 19, 2018 and August 10, 2018
WS-2902      348        419
VP2              780        546 778 Updated: error in previous formula
Ambient     1195      1253
Davis       833       827
AcuRite     1368      1365
Oregon        24          23
LaCrosse       270        275
Netatmo        26           27
WeatherFlow   38           41

* If you have an Acurite station please update your station type in Weather Underground so that we can start to differentiate Acurite by model. This is a newly offered WU Station setting option. See this link for details.
https://www.wxforum.net/index.php?topic=35425.0

I could easily add to the tabulation all others. Like Rainwise or a specific model (if so listed with WU). I could create a custom list for the whole US. That would be much more data to extract and I tried a few times and Weather Underground keeps crashing and not producing the data. I might try again some other time.

I find it interesting. Looks like the Ambient Weather WS-2902 has become a hot item. I'm impressed with it. It was also interesting to see so may VP2s go offline in about 2 months. UPDATE: there was an error in previous formula, practically no change happened to VP2 (just -2) A nearby neighbor of mine just this summer took down his ancient VP2 (had been reporting since like 2006) and replaced it with a WS-2902. I haven't talked to him to know exactly why (I've never spoken to him/her...I just noticed the switch). But his unit did have some issues this past year with not reporting rain and lots of on and off Internet time (maybe computer related - was running Cumulus).

Notes: If anyone is curious here is how I did it. I copy pasted the list of weather stations from the entire state right from WU website (it is where you read about personal weather stations and which one to buy). Takes a few minutes to generate the list. Then I paste the list into Excel. Then I add some columns. One column for each type of device I'm looking to tally. Then I fill that new column with the following formula to enter in a 1 or a 0 depending if my search string matches that row. When I'm done at the bottom of the column I just add all the 1's for the entire column. Since each column represents a given search string I label it so. Here is the example formula: =IF(ISNUMBER(SEARCH("ws-2902", D4518)), 1, 0)

« Last Edit: November 16, 2018, 01:02:09 PM by galfert »
Ecowitt GW1000 | Meteobridge on Raspberry Pi
WU: KFLWINTE111  |  PWSweather: KFLWINTE111
CWOP: FW3708  |  AWEKAS: 14814
Windy: pws-f075acbe
Weather Underground Issue Tracking
Tele-Pole

Offline vreihen

• El Niño chaser
  • Forecaster
  • K2BIG
Re: Analysis of Number of Weather Stations by Brand / Type in FL
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2018, 08:58:11 AM »
Interesting that WeatherFlow has more installations that Netatmo, since one is a commercial product and the other is barely out of start-up phase.....
WU Gold Stars for everyone! :lol:

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2018, 09:01:56 AM »
Yep it is impossible to do the entire US in one shot. My Chrome browser ends up using over 7GB of RAM. It hangs up a lot (Not Responding). Then minutes later when the whole list is there in the browser it is impossible to copy paste that much information. My computer has 12 GB of ram and it was showing 80% used at about 9.8 GB. The list is there I just can't export it.

So I'd have to do it 50 times, state by state (or more if I include PR and DC and Guam...etc). I might do that if I have the time.
Tele-Pole

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2018, 09:08:53 AM »
Interesting that WeatherFlow has more installations that Netatmo, since one is a commercial product and the other is barely out of start-up phase.....

I read that WU recently removed all Netatmo stations. So maybe that is why the Netatmo numbers are so low. But apparently there is a way for Netatmo users to still get their device on WU.
Tele-Pole

Offline havtrail

• Senior Contributor
    • Haverford Weather Station
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2018, 11:41:29 AM »
Could you check your list to see if there are any Onset HOBO units in the untallied remainder?

Rich K.
Onset HOBO RX2102 Cellular
https://www.havtrail.com/weather/
NEWA https://newa.cornell.edu Haverford, PA

Offline ConligWX

• Forecaster
  • #conligwx
    • conligwx.org
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2018, 11:50:11 AM »

I read that WU recently removed all Netatmo stations. So maybe that is why the Netatmo numbers are so low. But apparently there is a way for Netatmo users to still get their device on WU.

yep.

https://www.netatmo.com/en-GB/helpcenter/weather/1/my-weather-station-does-not-appear-on-weather-underground-is-this-normal/55
Regards Simon
Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus (6162UK) • Daytime FARS • WeatherLink Live • AirLink • PurpleAir PA-II-SD • CumulusMX •

Offline openvista

• Forecaster
    • marquetteweather.com
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2018, 12:32:41 PM »
Here's a complete list of USA WU stations as of today in CSV format. Took a bit of fussing and quite a bit of time to copy it over to Excel.
Davis Vantage Pro2 AC FARS | https://marquetteweather.com | EW7933

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2018, 12:38:46 PM »
Could you check your list to see if there are any Onset HOBO units in the untallied remainder?

Rich K.

1 Onset in PA (Used Excel Method) - I guess that is you...lone soldier in PA  \:D/
5 Onset in FL (Used Excel method)
55 in the US (just used browser Find (Ctrl-F) lookup to get this number, as it counts hits)

Be careful using Ctrl-F on the web site is not as good a method as my Excel solution. For example if you search for just "onset" then something like the town of Ponsett would trigger a false count as it contains "onset" in there. Also noticed a few stations with city names Siasconset and that too would trigger a bad count.

Because of this exercise I just noticed that I could just do the Ctrl-F instead of my complicated Excel import and formulas. But then I don't get to keep the data. I'll be back. Going to try and put some numbers together using this method for the whole US.

« Last Edit: August 11, 2018, 03:13:20 PM by galfert »
Tele-Pole

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2018, 12:46:09 PM »
Here's a complete list of USA WU stations as of today in CSV format. Took a bit of fussing and quite a bit of time to copy it over to Excel.

Nice job thank you! It isn't quite Excel though. It is coma separated values. I can still use it. I just noticed though that every item in every cell ends with a funky E with a squiggly thing on top. I can ignore it and the search formula should still work.

I'll be back....working on the data...
Tele-Pole

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2018, 01:54:06 PM »
Okay here it is. The numbers have been crunched...

Entire US WU Stations including territories listed below.  (Well at least entire tally for these listed types). If anyone wants to know anything else in specific let me know and I'll add it to the list. Like maybe you want to know how many Bloomsky or how many WS-1001. I can't do specifics of AcuRite because they all show up as just AcuRite Pro Weather Center. I wish AcuRite specified with more detail the station type.*

* If you have an Acurite station please update your station type in Weather Underground so that we can start to differentiate Acurite by model. This is a newly offered WU Station setting option. See this link for details.
https://www.wxforum.net/index.php?topic=35425.0

Data set: Full US List - August 11, 2018

WS-2902     7599
VP2           13338
Vue             4993
Ambient     25316
Davis         17893
AcuRite      26067
Oregon          661
LaCrosse      5222
Netatmo         428
WeatherFlow   571
Onset               58

Attached is my spreadsheet. Update: Nope couldn't attach it. It was too big and it was refused even after zipping. It was 7.4MB and this site has a 2MB attachment limit.

My Excel file could probably use some tweaking. I noticed for example that I'm not counting a very few amount of Vantage Pro 2 Stations because they are listed as "VangtagePro2" without spaces and my search term is just "Vantage Pro".  So also realize that my count of VP2 is not totally accurate because I searched for "Vantage Pro" and not "Vantage Pro2" nor "Vantage Pro 2" well because sometimes there is a space and sometimes there isn't before the number. So I just counted anything "Vantage Pro" as a VP2.  And I realize that I may mistakenly count some VP1 as VP2. Doubt very many VP1 are still operational to make that much of a difference. The search formula for Vantage Pro 2 needs to be fixed with a more complex OR in the formula. Like it needs to search for VP2 as "Vantage Pro 2" OR "Vantage Pro2" OR "VantagePro2". Also realize that there is also a very few Davis stations that are not listed as Davis ...they are listed as just Vantage Pro 2....so that affects the Davis brand totals just a bit (very few of those). If that were to be improved the formula would have to search for and count for every model of Davis as a Davis (even though it may not be called Davis). Not worth the effort I think...very few to matter. My search for LaCrosse is actually just Crosse because sometimes it is listed as La Crosse and sometimes as LaCrosse without the space, so that covers both cases, so that is good. If anyone knows Excel and they want to provide a better formula for Vantage Pro 2 stations let me know. My current formula is: =IF(ISNUMBER(SEARCH("Vantage Pro", D2)), 1, 0)

« Last Edit: November 01, 2018, 09:46:31 AM by galfert »
Tele-Pole

Offline dport

• Senior Contributor
Re: Analysis of Number of Weather Stations by Brand / Type
« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2018, 02:20:00 PM »
Good stuff.  This is great analysis even with the couple anomalies you mention above.  It's too bad that WeatherFlow is gaining steam.  As I've stated before those stations are WILDLY inaccurate.  Watching a neighboring weather flow station as we speak here outside of Philly and he/she is reporting double the rain that anyone else has had today. 

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2018, 02:52:36 PM »
FWIW -- Davis, Vue, VP2 what differentiation?

Not sure exactly what you are asking. Those three items are stations where the following search term was matched with the station type.

Davis = Davis
Vue = Vue
VP2 = Vantage Pro

If you add up VP2 + Vue it almost equals Davis (it is actually a bit high and I mentioned that some (very few) Vantage Pro 2 stations omit the Davis name). So that means given the formula I'm using it is pretty close to real numbers. There are a few Davis Weather Monitor stations that probably make a small bit of difference and increase the number of Davis brand number I'm reporting, and that is good...we want to count those too as Davis. It isn't perfect (again I'm open to improvements to my formula). But close enough to get a good idea of what is out there.

« Last Edit: August 11, 2018, 03:32:05 PM by galfert »
Tele-Pole

Offline alanb

• Forecaster
« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2018, 03:21:18 PM »
@galfert ... Very interesting information. Thanks for your efforts!
Alan - Ambient WS-2000, WH31E x5, WH31L, Ecowitt WN32(WH32E)
          Airthings Corentium Home Radon Detector 223

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #13 on: August 11, 2018, 03:43:23 PM »
@galfert ... Very interesting information. Thanks for your efforts!

You are welcome. Glad you found it interesting.

In case anyone is interested in different countries I have bad news. Even though WU makes it look like they will list other countries it doesn't produce any results. Not even for our neighbors in Canada. I kinda wanted to to see what brands are most popular in other countries.

Tele-Pole

Offline havtrail

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #14 on: August 11, 2018, 08:21:20 PM »

Rich K.

1 Onset in PA (Used Excel Method) - I guess that is you...lone soldier in PA  \:D/
5 Onset in FL (Used Excel method)
55 in the US (just used browser Find (Ctrl-F) lookup to get this number, as it counts hits)

Be careful using Ctrl-F on the web site is not as good a method as my Excel solution. For example if you search for just "onset" then something like the town of Ponsett would trigger a false count as it contains "onset" in there. Also noticed a few stations with city names Siasconset and that too would trigger a bad count.

Because of this exercise I just noticed that I could just do the Ctrl-F instead of my complicated Excel import and formulas. But then I don't get to keep the data. I'll be back. Going to try and put some numbers together using this method for the whole US.

Thanks so much! This is all great info and I'm sure it represents a lot of work on your part. How does it feel to be a "big data" guy? Look out, Watson...

I discovered that Onset Computer is not just a trendy, catchy name, as in the onset of something. There is a town named Onset in Massachusetts, where they are located.

Rich K.
(apparently Mr. HOBO in PA)
« Last Edit: August 11, 2018, 08:27:42 PM by havtrail »

Offline Mattk

• Forecaster
« Reply #15 on: August 12, 2018, 12:19:36 AM »
So is WU any real indication of what is being used across all platforms and networks?

Offline ocala

• Forecaster
« Reply #16 on: August 12, 2018, 07:42:33 AM »
So is WU any real indication of what is being used across all platforms and networks?
I would certainly think so. They were for the most part the first ones to publish PWS data on a global scale. They have lost some due to their recent issues but I'm sure they represent the PWS market pretty well.
The blues had a baby and they named it Rock & Roll

Offline havtrail

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #17 on: August 12, 2018, 08:04:20 AM »
I would certainly think so. They were for the most part the first ones to publish PWS data on a global scale. They have lost some due to their recent issues but I'm sure they represent the PWS market pretty well.

I think there is a difference between "what is being used" and "PWS." PWS is what is says, "personal," but there are other users. The Onset HOBO products are a case in point, geared more toward research, academic and agribusiness users. Their products are a little too pricey for backyard personal weather stations.  I joined this forum because of issues with Weather Underground, but in the process have discovered that I could find no online discussion area anywhere being used by these HOBO users. It doesn't mean they are not out there. And the WXForum group is a subset that is far ahead of the typical backyard weather station person that populates WU. I don't think the general lot of PWS owners on WU are as interested, careful in siting, or as diligent as the folks on this forum. At times I wonder how many of them actually oriented their wind vanes to true north, or have their rain gauges right up against their house wall. Under these circumstances, doing "QC" by comparing everyone to these numerous stations is not a good method.

Rich K.

Offline dport

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #18 on: August 12, 2018, 08:35:30 AM »
Rich,

I just realized you are the person running the Onset just a couple miles from me.  I was surprised when I saw it pop up and it was an Onset HOBO.  This will be great for me to compare my station.

I’m running a VP2 w/24 hour FARS in Bryn Mawr.

https://www.wunderground.com/personal-weather-station/dashboard?ID=KPABRYNM2#history

Best,
Dan

Offline Glenn

• Forecaster
« Reply #19 on: August 13, 2018, 12:51:35 PM »
Interesting thread! Thanks for all the number crunching. It's really cool to see the actual numbers that are out there.
Acurite 5 in 1 Pro+
Southern VT
Connecticut

Offline havtrail

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #20 on: August 15, 2018, 11:02:21 AM »
Rich,

I just realized you are the person running the Onset just a couple miles from me.  I was surprised when I saw it pop up and it was an Onset HOBO.  This will be great for me to compare my station.

I’m running a VP2 w/24 hour FARS in Bryn Mawr.

https://www.wunderground.com/personal-weather-station/dashboard?ID=KPABRYNM2#history

Best,
Dan

Hi, neighbor! We'll have to get together sometime and compare notes. I'd like to know more about the Davis products. Our HOBO setup actually uses an adapted version of the Davis wind speed/direction sensor that Onset now offers.

If you compare our stats, I wouldn't put too much faith in my barometric pressure. I think it reports low, and I have started a comparative study against 13 closest stations on WU that surround mine.

I also have been thinking that my rain figures seemed pretty high compared to others nearby. Then in Monday's deluge I registered 5.68" for the day and Action News at 11pm reported five local suburban rainfall totals, with nearby Wayne reported at 5.58", so I feel better.

Rich K.

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #21 on: August 16, 2018, 09:59:01 AM »
I have a favor to ask...

Can someone with a Weather Underground account from some other country (You should be browsing from that country with an IP address from there) that is not the United States look to see if they can produce a list of weather stations in your country? I was curious if the reason I can't see the list in other countries is because I'm not in that given country.

I'm hoping to hear from someone in Canada eh, or some country in Europe, or even Australia mate (only because there is probably more data, but anywhere else is great too). If you can do this, I want the data in a CSV format or Excel. You just copy it from the browser and paste it into Excel. Be patient through these steps. Let you computer do its thing even if it says Not Responding.

Here is how you get to the list:
1. Bottom of Wunderground page click on Personal Weather Stations
2. Click on "Step 2: Buy - Buying Guide"
3. Click on "More PWS Options - See More"
4. Select your country from the drop down list and click "View"
5. Wait for list to be generated
6. Copy the data with you mouse and paste into Excel, save, compress to .zip file, and post it here.

...or maybe instead of the above steps this direct link may work, then just click on Select Country drop down and copy/paste:
https://www.wunderground.com/weatherstation/hardwareandsoftware.asp

Thanks!

« Last Edit: August 16, 2018, 10:08:29 AM by galfert »
Tele-Pole

Offline DW7240

• Senior Contributor
    • The Vicarage Weather Feed
« Reply #22 on: August 16, 2018, 10:39:22 AM »
Here U go...…

From the U.K...

Weather Stations in United Kingdom
Station ID
Neighborhood
City
Station Type
Site
ILONDON38
Up at The O2
London
Davis Vantage Vue (Wireless)

IROSS-SH1
Maryburgh
Maryburgh, Dingwall
WMR200 Oregon Scientific

From Canada......My Location...

Weather Stations in Canada
Station ID
Neighborhood
City
Station Type
Site

YES....it's blank, guess there are non on Canada. LOL., and I find it hard to beleive that there is only two in the U.K.

Nick. dw7240.com

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #23 on: August 16, 2018, 11:47:44 AM »
Thank you Nick.

I wonder why Weather Underground has that drop down list to search other countries and it produces no results except for the US? Weirdly enough I too get those same two stations for the UK. I guess maybe another bug in the long list of WU issues.
Tele-Pole

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #24 on: October 14, 2018, 02:45:18 PM »
October 2018 Update:

Entire US Station List
 [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]

Just Florida
 [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]

It is particularly interesting to see the impact the recent release of the Acurite Atlas has done to these numbers.

* The Davis Vantage Pro 2 search (for the US List) was updated to include more stations picked up by the search. I'm still tweaking the VP2 formula and will update the FL list later. I'm also going to be working on updating the Davis search formula. For now at least there is some consistency with these number across all dates. When I update the formula I will recalculate previous dates. There was also a formula error in the first post of this thread. This has been corrected. Essentially there was practically no change in number of VP2 for Aug Florida totals (just -2)
« Last Edit: October 14, 2018, 03:49:15 PM by galfert »
Tele-Pole

anything