Author Topic: Solar Sensor  (Read 1605 times)

Online Garth Bock

• Table Rock Lake Weather
  • Forecaster
Solar Sensor
« on: September 18, 2008, 05:39:01 PM »
Added the solar sensor to my ISS this morning. Everything went smooth. Except.....when I got back inside I heard the Envoy beeping. I checked the alarms and all of them were set to -32, 767. I tried to pull the alarms in from the station and got an error about not being able to retrieve the alarms from the station. I have no alarms set. I removed power and batteries from the Envoy but it does have a supercap I assume and it didn't reset. Should I have run a reset on the ISS  before putting it back up on the pole ? I was headed to work so I didn't have time to try a hard reset on the ISS. When I walked out the door the Envoy was still beeping. Anyone with ideas ?

Online Garth Bock

• Table Rock Lake Weather
  • Forecaster
Re: Solar Sensor
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2008, 10:58:04 PM »
Tried to reset in VWS with no luck. After I got home tonight from work I thought why not get back to basics and run WeatherLink. Took a while to find the CD. Loaded it, ran the clear in the setup menu ...and the alarm shut off !!!! I think there was some garbage data probably in the solar alarm that got triggered when I added the solar sensor this morning. I am thinking of buying VirtualVP and a virtual serial program so I can play with WeatherLink and WD while I am running VWS. 

Offline HenryAZ

• Vista Royale
Re: Solar Sensor
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2008, 09:36:07 AM »

I also recently added the solar sensor to my VP2 station.  In my case, I did not need any reset, nor did I take the station offline....just plugged in the new sensor and it started receiving data from it.

VirtualVP is well worth it; it works well for me even inside of a virtual operating system machine (under VMWare).  The virtual serial driver that VirtualVP requires is a free download; link and details are provided with VirtualVP.  Once you get VirtualVP, check out VPLive (free).  I use VPLive to keep the station clock synced to my PC's clock, since my PC's are synced directly to an atomic clock source.