Author Topic: Allison House APRS data  (Read 10911 times)

Offline Downlinerz2

• Forecaster
Allison House APRS data
« on: October 06, 2009, 11:18:33 AM »
Hi,
   Not quite sure where to put this topic but here is as good as any.  Does anyone understand what the APRS data symbols mean?  I haave the APRS feed on my GRL3 and there are all kinds of icons on the screen. There are trucks, cars, stars with letters in them, little houses, vans, and fire stations (I think). I have a couple of lists that are supposed to be keys to the sybols but it is as hard to understand as the APRS data :? :?.  And while I am at it what is this data used for?
   Will appreciate any help!!
       Mark :shock: :-k 8-[ :-s

Offline GregK

• Contributor
  • SNUGGLES: My Baby Girl
Re: Allison House APRS data
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2009, 12:03:39 PM »
Are you sure you're not playing monopoly?   Sorry   :oops:
Help Save An Innocent Life: WWW.ASPCA.COM
United States Air Force (Retired)

Offline Downlinerz2

• Forecaster
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2009, 12:28:22 PM »
Are you sure you're not playing monopoly?   Sorry   :oops:
Greg,
   I needed a good laugh today.   :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Offline Mark / Ohio

• Live from Mars!
  • Forecaster
    • Fairfield County Weather
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2009, 11:55:46 PM »
Maybe this is something you already have but here's a symbol chart.

http://wa8lmf.net/miscinfo/APRS_Symbol_Chart.pdf

I'm not a HAM but I think the idea is to convey what is going on at the location and/or where the transmitter is located with the symbols.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2009, 11:59:56 PM by Mark / Ohio »
Mark 
2002 Davis VP I Wireless, WeatherLink (Serial), GRLevel3, VirtualVP, StartWatch, Weather Display, Windows 10

Offline Downlinerz2

• Forecaster
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2009, 12:49:13 AM »
Mark,
  Thanks for the link.  That is much better than the one I got from somwhere else.
I have no idea what all this is supposed to mean but it is something really crazy!!!
I have seen car symbols out in the lake! They should have a submarine symbol. Maybe they do.  I have seen planes.  Don't know where they are goin or where they been.  It's obviously something I don't need but now I am hooked.  It's like a (no pun intended) a computer game.   :shock: :? ](*,) ;)
It is fun trying to make sense of it all.  But the laugh will probably be on me cause there is NO sense!! #-o :lol: \:D/ ](*,)

Offline GregK

• Contributor
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2009, 01:11:00 PM »
Mark,

Based on your icons in the previous post...professional help may be needed.  Just joking.  Sorry again. :oops: :oops:

Offline Downlinerz2

• Forecaster
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2009, 01:19:42 PM »
Mark,
Based on your icons in the previous post...professional help may be needed.  Just joking.  Sorry again. :oops: :oops:
    I have been told that many, many times in my life :roll: ;). And worse, every time I see the symbols on the screen, I think professional help is needed!! :lol: :lol:

Offline GregK

• Contributor
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2009, 01:27:59 PM »
I'd say you are as normal as the rest of us...whatever "normal" really is.

Bad day for GR3 here in Northern Illinois.  Not a cloud in the sky, not a blip on the radar,  Pretty boring.  Going to spend time studying all this today.

Have a great day.

Greg

Offline Downlinerz2

• Forecaster
« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2009, 02:29:12 PM »
I'd say you are as normal as the rest of us...whatever "normal" really is.
Bad day for GR3 here in Northern Illinois.  Not a cloud in the sky, not a blip on the radar,  Pretty boring.  Going to spend time studying all this today.
Have a great day.
Greg
   On days like that when the radar is naked as a new born baby, I go traveling around the country looking at other radar sites.  I love to look for things like outflow boundries.  You can check out a thread I started a while back about outflow boundries (OFB).  It is near the bottom of the first page on GRLx page.  I use a national radar to find places with activity.  I like Intellicasts national radar summary. It attaches info to the cells like cloud tops, direction of travel and speed.  I think I will do some roaming around myself. 
   Till next time, Good Luck,
         Mark

Offline GregK

• Contributor
« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2009, 06:08:31 PM »
Mark,

I downloaded and printed out the APRS symbol pages.  My question is what is this  info used for.  ?  Anyhting to do with Homeland Security? 

Thanks

Greg

Offline Downlinerz2

• Forecaster
« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2009, 07:02:36 PM »
Mark,
I downloaded and printed out the APRS symbol pages.  My question is what is this  info used for.  ?  Anyhting to do with Homeland Security? 
Thanks
Greg
Greg,
   I have no idea what it is for.  I did a quick google search but didn't find anything that was any help.  Homeland security is a good possibility.
      Mark

Offline GregK

• Contributor
« Reply #11 on: October 10, 2009, 07:21:06 PM »
Well hopefully some one will come along and tell us both !!

Greg

Offline Downlinerz2

• Forecaster
« Reply #12 on: October 10, 2009, 07:49:10 PM »
Greg,
   I don't know what it means but it is strange for sure.  If you look NW of Cleveland Ohio there is a yacht going down the highway!!??! #-o  gilligan must be the driver!!

Offline Downlinerz2

• Forecaster
« Reply #13 on: October 10, 2009, 08:10:33 PM »
Greg,   
 Looking out in California is very interesting.  At least some of the symbols are easy to understand.  There are a whole bunch of fires burning and you can see numerous small earthquakes.   8-)

Offline GregK

• Contributor
« Reply #14 on: October 10, 2009, 08:35:05 PM »
This must be another well run Government program.....yachts going down the highway ???

If you have time, jump over to AH and see if you can help me out.  The topic was "two questions"

Greg

Offline SLOweather

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
    • Weatherelement Moline IL
« Reply #15 on: October 10, 2009, 09:08:35 PM »
APRS is, at it's basis, an Amateur Radio service. It stands for Automatic Packet Reporting System. It's based on the older amateur radio packet data system.

It's 2 main uses these days seem to be position reporting, and weather reporting. My wife and I are hams, and run APRS in our vehicles. You can see the position of my truck at http://aprs.fi/?call=kd6dsi-3&mt=m&z=14&timerange=3600.

Today was interesting, as we went to a local refurbed fire lookout to install a solar powered cellular/internet weather station interface (a story for another post...)

APRS is also used for weather reporting, and, I believe, is the basis of the CWOP program. Unlike most CWOP stations, my data is transmitted via RF first, and then gated to the Internet. I can see it on the APRS display in my truck.

http://www.findu.com/cgi-bin/wxpage.cgi?KD6DSI

« Last Edit: October 10, 2009, 09:10:23 PM by SLOweather »

Offline GregK

• Contributor
« Reply #16 on: October 10, 2009, 10:23:56 PM »
Thanks for the info.  Now I know something new.  Very interesting to see that your vehicle can be tracked by Satellite.

Thanks again

Greg

Offline Downlinerz2

• Forecaster
« Reply #17 on: October 10, 2009, 10:27:37 PM »
  I send my thanks too.  I was fairly sure it had to do with Ham radio.  I was getting frustrated trying to figure out what the symbols mean ](*,).  Mark/Ohio posted a chart of the symbols and it helped a lot but I still didn't understand why this car, or Jeep was shown.  I was able to find out that the Tcp/iP was internet protocols.
Thanks again for your help.  Have a good night!!
       Mark

Offline Downlinerz2

• Forecaster
« Reply #18 on: October 10, 2009, 10:42:16 PM »
Greg,
  I did check out your 2 questions.  I don't know the answer to the first.  As for the GOES, I used to have it but I don't use it anymore.  I found other satellite sources to be better so I can't answer your 2nd question either.  Sorry :sad:.
    Mark

Offline GregK

• Contributor
« Reply #19 on: October 10, 2009, 11:25:24 PM »
No problem.  I am sure AH will be able to answer the GOES question.  Actually, its several of their URL's.  When I cut and paste to my place file manager, the URL goes in there, and it is not supposed to. 

Greg

Offline SLOweather

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
    • Weatherelement Moline IL
« Reply #20 on: October 11, 2009, 02:27:48 PM »
Not generally by satellite. True, the GPS timing signals from which location is derived are transmitted by satellites. In the US, most APRS transmits on a single VHF frequency of 144.39 MHz. You can program that into a scanner and hear any APRS traffic in your area.

Some stations, like my K6DSI-5 in the top left corner of the image above, are digital repeaters, or digipeaters. They store and retransmit every APRS transmission they receive.

Some home stations are used as Internet Gateways, or Igates. They resend every data transmission they receive to the Internet, where findu and aprs.fi, among others, receive and archive the data for Internet viewing.

It's possible to send APRS through one or more amateur satellites, but I've never done it.

Chris

Thanks for the info.  Now I know something new.  Very interesting to see that your vehicle can be tracked by Satellite.

Thanks again

Greg

Offline GregK

• Contributor
« Reply #21 on: October 11, 2009, 08:59:03 PM »
Chris,

Once again, good and helpful info.  I do have a Digital Scanner, and have one area partitioned off for emergency management, weather spotters, etc which I tune to during bad weather.  I will put that frequency in.

Okay, we covered two of my three hobbies..weather and scanning.  Now if we can only work photography in some way.... :grin:

Thanks Again

Greg

Offline K3JAE

• Contributor
  • Davis VP2 Wireless
    • K3JAE's Weather Station
« Reply #22 on: February 26, 2011, 07:26:02 PM »
Let me see if I can help a bit here....

The different symbols dictate the signal being sent. The images denote, in a nutshell, what vehicle a person may be driving in.... ie a car, bus, truck, fire department vehicle, police car etc. The operator chooses which "vehicle" they wish to show they are driving, thus why you might see a sailboat driving down the I-55 for example. As a general rule, though most operators are responsible enough to change their icons to whatever they are commuting in.  

A fixed station might be a digitial repeater (digipeat) or simply a repeater. This means it is receiving the information and rebroadcasting it out again so the signal can be tracked across the USA by being relayed or repeated out various places.

Home stations can rebroadcast both as a repeater, over the air, or repeat via the Internet so one can track via the Internet, commonly known as Igates. Amateur Repeaters usually only rebroadcast via radio waves, or repeaters though this is ever changing.

A station with a WX symbol is basically a permanent station sending out weather data for that area.
A station with a house means it is being sent from a house, and generally is a relay of all signals being received.

You may see a callsign followed by a -1, -2, -3 etc. All this means is the amateur radio station has multiple broadcasting stations.
Example... K3JAE-1 would be my permanent home station.
               K3JAE-2 would be my Weather station only broadcasting info (permanent as well).
               K3JAE-3 would be my vehicle as I move about, most likely broadcasting from a Mobile unit.
               K3JAE-4 could be assigned as my portable radio if I am on foot working an event etc.

All stations assign their designators differently but this is generally the most common way to so it.

APRS is designed to be a GPS tracking utility.

Hope this helps.

73's de K3JAE

73's de K3JAE

John
K3JAE Weather Station

Offline Downlinerz2

• Forecaster
« Reply #23 on: February 26, 2011, 10:06:04 PM »
   Thanks John!!  Your info has cleared some of the mystery from the subject.  Don't watch them as much any more but I do check them once or twice a week or so.
   Thanks again,
      Mark