Author Topic: Can I make my website update automatically?  (Read 3861 times)

Offline WeatherBabe

Can I make my website update automatically?
« on: September 01, 2010, 07:16:03 PM »
Today I set up my weather station and networked the data over IP to my server.  I'm serving it on my local intranet and all is well... except I need to find a way to make it update automatically.  Currently I update it manually, and it keeps the old data until I do it again.  Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Offline MikeInTX

• Grand Prairie North
Re: Can I make my website update automatically?
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2010, 07:38:59 PM »
Today I set up my weather station and networked the data over IP to my server.  I'm serving it on my local intranet and all is well... except I need to find a way to make it update automatically.  Currently I update it manually, and it keeps the old data until I do it again.  Any help will be greatly appreciated.

I think you will need to supply more information in order to get help.  What software are you using, what model weather station, how are you exactly "serving" it on your intranet, how are you displaying it where you "need to find a way to make it update", etc.?

VP2 with Daytime FARS made into 24hr FARS

Offline AWL

• Forecaster
    • Ardmore Weather Live
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2010, 07:39:14 PM »
I use this in the meta section to refresh in seconds..900/60=15 minutes. Change to what you want in minutes. There are other ways I'm sure but works for me.

Code: [Select]
<meta http-equiv="refresh" content="900"/>
After reading the above post, which is a good thought, I am assuming your referring to a web page?
« Last Edit: September 01, 2010, 07:42:28 PM by DougW »

Offline DaculaWeather

• WxElement panel
  • Forecaster
    • North Georgia Weather
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2010, 07:50:13 PM »
Or maybe "live" updates?

Offline DanS

• Chiang Mai weather
  • Forecaster
    • ThaiWx
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2010, 08:05:32 PM »

I think you will need to supply more information in order to get help.  What software are you using, what model weather station, how are you exactly "serving" it on your intranet, how are you displaying it where you "need to find a way to make it update", etc.?

Also may get more help posting in the "Website Help" section, not in "Davis weather station" section. ;)

Offline dalecoy

• Forecaster
    • Lee's Summit, MO
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2010, 08:53:54 PM »
WeatherBabe started some discussion in http://www.wxforum.net/index.php?topic=8616.msg81979#msg81979 - but didn't fully describe the situation there, either.

I believe WeatherBabe probably decided to purchase the WeatherLinkIP logger, and wants to have it automatically and continually send data to the server on her intranet.  [Not to WeatherLink.com]

[If I'm wrong, she can actually describe what she has and what she wants]

So this forum (or maybe the WeatherLink forum) would be a reasonable place for discussion.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2010, 08:58:15 PM by dalecoy »

Offline WeatherBabe

« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2010, 11:15:42 PM »
Okay, here it is in some more detail:
I'm using a Davis 6322C Cabled ISS connected to a Davis 6316C Cabled Weather Envoy (in which sits a Davis Weatherlink IP logger).  The logger connects to my IP network and delivers the data across town to a machine running XP Pro.  That machine is also running the Weatherlink software and Virtual Weather Station.  VWS displays the data on that machine, and it updates regularly.  I can leave VWS open and have essentially live data all day long.  I am making the data available to all on my network by serving it in a web page via VWS.  Users browse to the IP address of that machine and view the web page flawlessly.
I am looking for a way for the web page to continually update as does the VWS application on the computer.  Presently the page that comes up remains unchanged until it is manually refreshed.  Thanks for any suggestions.

Offline dalecoy

• Forecaster
    • Lee's Summit, MO
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2010, 11:52:14 PM »
Oh.  What DougW said (or similar).

Offline johnd

• Forecaster
    • www.weatherstations.co.uk
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2010, 03:19:47 AM »
@WeatherBabe: It sounds like you're trying to run a relatively complex configuration. You've described the VP2 end clearly now but what you're trying to run on the PC still isn't 100% clear (to me at least).

But let's start here: The WeatherlinkIP logger does not have what we might call server functionality (nor is any claimed for it) in the sense of being able to service requests for data from two or more programs or clients at the same time. So you cannot run VWS AND the Weatherlink software at the same time and expect both to update. It just won't work reliably. The only way round this is to run Virtual VP as an intermediate data server.

You may have other problems such as whether you have the Internet Settings in the WL program correctly set up to create and refresh web pages, but until you get the VWS/WL issue clarified then both programs can't work simultaneously.

(Note that I'm not saying anything about whether the IP logger is able to upload its data to weatherlink.com. Provided a software program is well written, it will allow uploading to wl.com to continue successfully at the same time (seemingly - but actually interleaved with) supplying a data feed to the client program. The Weatherlink program itself does this perfectly well, but I cannot speak for VWS.)
Prodata Weather Systems
Prodata's FAQ/support site for Davis stations
Includes many details on 6313 Weatherlink console.
UK Davis Premier Dealer - All Davis stations, accessories and spares
Cambridge UK

Sorry, but I don't usually have time to help with individual issues by email unless you are a Prodata customer. Please post your issue in the relevant forum section here & I will comment there if I have anything useful to add.

Offline DaculaWeather

• WxElement panel
  • Forecaster
    • North Georgia Weather
« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2010, 06:20:40 AM »
It sounds like you what a web PAGE that does automatic periodic updates. Have you looked at the AJAX templates that Ken has?
http://saratoga-weather.org/scripts-VWS-AJAX.php#VWSajaxwf - VWS templates

By using these, the current conditions will update automatically about every 4 seconds, no refresh required. I originally started off with these several years ago.

Is that what your referring to?

Offline jdjeff58

• Website
« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2010, 12:08:52 PM »
Not sure if this will help but here goes...I just got connected with Weatherlink IP.  Those uploads happen every 3 seconds or so to the weatherlink server.  From there, I can push that data to weatherunderground (it's an option on the 'uploads' page) at 15 minute intervals....which gives graphs and more detail.  But what I did, was load VWS on my laptop and it runs 24/7.  I 'rapid fire' to weatherunderground.  At any time, from anywhere I can look at my data at either site (Weatherlink or Wunderground).  In either case, I don't need 24/7 computer on time.  I just lose rapid fire to WU.  I eventually want to go with my own website, but this is what I'm doing for now.  I don't know if this would help w-babe.  But maybe there's a clue in there somewhere to figure out a solution.
Davis VP2 - Wireless Anemometer - VWS

Weather Underground KPAREADI15
Weatherlink IP
CWOP-D5731

Offline dalecoy

• Forecaster
    • Lee's Summit, MO
« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2010, 01:17:04 PM »
Okay, here it is in some more detail:
I am looking for a way for the web page to continually update as does the VWS application on the computer.  Presently the page that comes up remains unchanged until it is manually refreshed. 

I think this may be what you're looking for:  from   http://webdesign.about.com/od/metataglibraries/a/aa080300a.htm
Note: This is an expansion of what DougW said.

Reload the Current Page with the Meta Refresh Tag

The meta tag belongs within the <head> of your HTML document. When used to refresh the current page, the syntax looks like this:

<meta http-equiv="refresh" content="600">

<meta> - This is the HTML tag. It belongs in the <head> of your HTML document. You can learn more about the meta tag in the HTML tag library.

http-equiv="refresh" - This attribute tells the browser that this meta tag is sending an HTTP command rather than a standard meta tag. Refresh is an actual HTTP header used by the web server. It tells the server that the page is going to be reloaded or sent somewhere else.

content="600" - This is the amount of time, in seconds, until the browser should reload the current page.

One of the most common uses of the reload version of the refresh tag is to reload a page that has dynamic content on it. For example: a stock ticker or weather map.

Offline DaculaWeather

• WxElement panel
  • Forecaster
    • North Georgia Weather
« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2010, 07:43:46 PM »
I think we're wasting our time speculating until we hear more from her.

Offline dalecoy

• Forecaster
    • Lee's Summit, MO
« Reply #13 on: September 15, 2010, 12:43:21 PM »
I think we're wasting our time speculating until we hear more from her.

Apparently, we were wasting our time to even try to help WeatherBabe.

Offline DaculaWeather

• WxElement panel
  • Forecaster
    • North Georgia Weather
« Reply #14 on: September 15, 2010, 12:46:06 PM »
I think she posted in another part of the forum. It was the AJAX that she was looking for.