Author Topic: Traffic Bandwidth Plan Limits  (Read 4270 times)

jwyman

Traffic Bandwidth Plan Limits
« on: March 24, 2009, 07:46:52 AM »
All,
 I have received a notice from my site provider telling me I have exceeded 80% of my allowed traffic bandwidth usage (20 GB). I was just curious what others have as plans and what you have as "normal" traffic loads for the month. looks like i may have to up the plan..

Jim

Offline SylvaniaWeather

• Senior Contributor
    • SylvaniaWeather
Re: Traffic Bandwidth Plan Limits
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2009, 08:51:58 AM »
http://sylvaniaweather.com has used 609MB so far this month with 335 visits,  80 unique visitors.

So far I've had no complaints from my cable company. This month has been my highest bandwidth use so far.  I pay for a standard package with  Download speeds up to 12.0 Mbps Upload speeds up to 1.0 Mbps.

Hope this helps some.

Offline mackbig

• Forecaster
    • Mackie's Main Street, Unionville, ON Canada Weather
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2009, 08:59:10 AM »
The base "economy" plan at godaddy is 300 GB Transfer per month (that's what $2.06 per month gets you)  20 gig seems very low.

Andrew

All,
 I have received a notice from my site provider telling me I have exceeded 80% of my allowed traffic bandwidth usage (20 GB). I was just curious what others have as plans and what you have as "normal" traffic loads for the month. looks like i may have to up the plan..

Jim

Andrew - Davis VP2+ 6163, serial weatherlink, wireless anemometer, running Weather Display.  Boltek PCI Stormtracker, Astrogenic Nexstorm, Strikestar - UNI, CWOP CW8618, GrLevel3, (Station 2 OS WMR968, VWS 13.01p09), Windows 7-64

Offline sam2004gp

• Mount Crawford, Virginia
  • Forecaster
  • Weeeeeeeee!!!!
    • Mount Crawford Weather, VA
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2009, 09:24:57 AM »
Yeah that does seem low.   I have the base economy plan with Godaddy, on a Linux shared server.  No problems what so ever.  In fact I wish I could use some more of the storage and bandwidth that my account has.  But I can't find a reason.
SAM --->>> http://www.mountcrawfordweather.org
OS WMR-968 with a Dedicated PWS Weather Computer running VWS v13.01 p09

Offline SylvaniaWeather

• Senior Contributor
    • SylvaniaWeather
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2009, 09:44:07 AM »
Ah, I'm new to this still.  I host my own websites, so the only ones I worry about is my ISP complaining I use to much bandwidth.  I buy my domains from Go Daddy, then host them myself with the free version of Clark Connect.  It's Linux based and never gives my a bit of trouble.  I also use it to host my own email.

Sorry if I'm rambling aimlessly, I'm self taught and still learning.  :grin:

Offline Axelvold

• Forecaster
    • Axelvold's weather and photo
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2009, 09:45:29 AM »
Yeah that does seem low.   I have the base economy plan with Godaddy, on a Linux shared server.  No problems what so ever.  In fact I wish I could use some more of the storage and bandwidth that my account has.  But I can't find a reason.

Instead of storing your photos at photobucket.så you could have your own photo album on your server.
Lars Magnusson
Axelvold / Sweden
55° 57' 41" N / 13° 6' 1" E
WX Station: Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus

jwyman

« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2009, 09:49:02 AM »
I am using ICDSoft. Loved them so far, but now, i may up the plan to 200 GB/month transfer to $10/month....

Love to see a comparision of Godday, ICDSoft, and other web hosting firms to see what the TRUE value. I have seen people go with GoDaddy and have problems, but what i have seen here, that's not the case...

Jim

Offline sam2004gp

• Forecaster
  • Weeeeeeeee!!!!
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2009, 09:53:17 AM »
I would like to store my photos on my "extra storage space" but there is no easy free application to post them up and organize them like photobucket.  If anybody has any suggestions, I would consider them.  I also have a flickr and google photo accounts, which I don't ever use.

Offline Axelvold

• Forecaster
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2009, 09:59:20 AM »
I would like to store my photos on my "extra storage space" but there is no easy free application to post them up and organize them like photobucket.  If anybody has any suggestions, I would consider them.  I also have a flickr and google photo accounts, which I don't ever use.

This is a free program to produce photo albums, it also has a feature where you can upload the whole album to your server

check it out here http://jalbum.net/

I use it to my album
Lars Magnusson
Axelvold / Sweden
WX Station: Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus

Offline mackbig

• Forecaster
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2009, 10:13:55 AM »
Jim,
No complaints here for Godaddy.  I have heard the PHP is a little slow, but again for $2 a month I am not complaining...

Andrew

I am using ICDSoft. Loved them so far, but now, i may up the plan to 200 GB/month transfer to $10/month....

Love to see a comparision of Godday, ICDSoft, and other web hosting firms to see what the TRUE value. I have seen people go with GoDaddy and have problems, but what i have seen here, that's not the case...

Jim

Andrew - Davis VP2+ 6163, serial weatherlink, wireless anemometer, running Weather Display.  Boltek PCI Stormtracker, Astrogenic Nexstorm, Strikestar - UNI, CWOP CW8618, GrLevel3, (Station 2 OS WMR968, VWS 13.01p09), Windows 7-64

Offline sam2004gp

• Forecaster
  • Weeeeeeeee!!!!
« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2009, 11:07:23 AM »

This is a free program to produce photo albums, it also has a feature where you can upload the whole album to your server

I use it to my album

Thank you, I will give that a try later.

Offline W Thomas

• Welcome to my area!
  • Forecaster
  • In Loving Memory Of Hooker The Weather Dog !
    • Smyth-Grayson Weather
« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2009, 12:40:42 AM »
I think mine is supposed to be unlimited...not that I would ever exceed even a small allotment :)
But strangely I did come really close to a spanking when I as with 1 and 1 !
Didn't really think there as that much transfer of data going on then...

Best Regards
     Wayne

CWOP CW8217
KVAWHITE22 Wunderground   Davis VUE &  Davis Vantage Pro 2  /   Dedicated Server
GR Level 3 ,Level 2 AE Radars  Weather Display 10.37P  Mid Atlantic Weather Network Member
SkyWarn & Spotter Network 6092

Offline 92merc

• BismarckWeather.net
  • Forecaster
  • BismarckWeather.net
    • BismarckWeather.net
« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2009, 10:25:09 AM »
I have the paid GoDaddy service, not the free one.  I just run my weather site and my personal site from there.  I'm alloted 1500 Gig of bandwidth a month.  So way more than I need.  But to give you an idea, I used 754 Meg this billing period.  2/28-Today.  3 days left in billing period.

Now this includes my TheZastoupils.com site and BismarckWeather.net.  But my weather site is by far the site with more traffic.  I have the AJAX/Weatherflash script running.  But I don't think that really adds up to much.  I have no weather cam.  So it's mostly just sheer PHP/HTML traffic.
https://www.BismarckWeather.net
Davis VP2, Cumulus, WeatherDisplay, Blitzortung, Saratoga Scripts, NOAA Stream via PI

Offline mackbig

• Forecaster
« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2009, 10:37:00 AM »
Did you have to get the "deluxe" plan for $8.62 per month because you had two sites?

Andrew

I have the paid GoDaddy service, not the free one.  I just run my weather site and my personal site from there.  I'm alloted 1500 Gig of bandwidth a month.  So way more than I need.  But to give you an idea, I used 754 Meg this billing period.  2/28-Today.  3 days left in billing period.

Now this includes my TheZastoupils.com site and BismarckWeather.net.  But my weather site is by far the site with more traffic.  I have the AJAX/Weatherflash script running.  But I don't think that really adds up to much.  I have no weather cam.  So it's mostly just sheer PHP/HTML traffic.

Offline WeatherBeacon

• Chief
  • Forecaster
    • http://www.wxbeacon.com
« Reply #14 on: March 25, 2009, 11:52:24 AM »

Jim:

For one, the number of visitors to your site has increased from, say a year ago. \:D/

Check out www.HostPC.com. I've been using them for 2-1/2 years and really like them. They often run specials to new subscribers, so check them out periodically. Once you sign up with them, they guarantee that price forever (unless you change plans). Presently they support PHP5.2.8. I've always been happy with their tech support.

Kevin...
Mae govannen!
Kevin  (Member AMS) http://www.wxbeacon.com               Genesee County, Michigan
Hardware:  Davis Vantage Pro Wireless, Midland WR-300
Software: VWS 14.01p43, WeatherFlash, & GRLevel3

jwyman

« Reply #15 on: March 25, 2009, 12:10:43 PM »
Thanks Kevin :)

I switched to ICDSoft last year because of all the fetures they had and I have already tranferd my domain over and don't want to run through all that again... I may just bump up to the next level which will give me MUCH more than I need.....

Jim

Offline 92merc

• BismarckWeather.net
  • Forecaster
  • BismarckWeather.net
    • BismarckWeather.net
« Reply #16 on: March 25, 2009, 12:12:44 PM »
Yep, I have the Deluxe Plan from GD.  I got it on sale so I think I paid $60 for a year.  I needed PHP, my ISP has no scripting.  So I figured $60 wasn't bad.  I've had good luck with GD in the past.  But in case they didn't pan out, I only bought a year.  But so far so good.
https://www.BismarckWeather.net
Davis VP2, Cumulus, WeatherDisplay, Blitzortung, Saratoga Scripts, NOAA Stream via PI

Offline Garth Bock

• Table Rock Lake Weather
  • Forecaster
« Reply #17 on: March 26, 2009, 02:40:30 PM »
So far Comcast has not done anything but they have gone onboard with AT&T and the RIAA to slap the hands of P2P users. Haven't heard if they are monitor both U/D loads or just the downloads. They could use the P2P restrictions to squash our legit weather feeds. I am trying to find out where they are headed.

Offline W Thomas

• Welcome to my area!
  • Forecaster
  • In Loving Memory Of Hooker The Weather Dog !
    • Smyth-Grayson Weather
« Reply #18 on: March 27, 2009, 10:13:12 AM »
The RIAA is one lawsuit happy bunch of people!
They are going to eliminate radio as we know it now if they don't change their ways!

Sad part is if the performer/artist/songwriter got a better share of what they are grabbing it
would be tad better but I don't think that is the case .

As for Comcast and their tactics I can't blame you one bit for being curious as to how this
is going to pan out.. Hopefully it will leave the live feeds and such intact and not mess where they don't need to!

Best Regards
     Wayne

CWOP CW8217
KVAWHITE22 Wunderground   Davis VUE &  Davis Vantage Pro 2  /   Dedicated Server
GR Level 3 ,Level 2 AE Radars  Weather Display 10.37P  Mid Atlantic Weather Network Member
SkyWarn & Spotter Network 6092

Offline SlowModem

• Weather at the speed of dialup!
  • Forecaster
  • WX @ 26.4 kbs
    • Watts Bar Weather
« Reply #19 on: March 27, 2009, 10:31:03 AM »
We use Verizon wireless for our laptops.  It does ok (~ 150-250 kbs vs. 28.8 kbs dialup) at home, and it does great when I take the laptop to work (closer to cell towers and civilization in general).  But, depending on the time of day, the speed will vary.  That's because phone calls, texting, wireless internet, etc., are all going through the same pipe.

Computer technology is kind of like encyclopedias.  Obsolete as soon as you buy it.

I hear that they're improving and upgrading infrastructure all the time.  But I believe that we're going to hit a capacity wall one of these days.

Maybe there will be some kind of breakthrough.  Who knows?

Anyways, I'm sure these companies are looking at bandwidth limits because that's cheaper than adding new capacity.  And, with exceedance of limits (my plan limit is 5 gig/month d/l) at $0.25/mb, it ensures them profit, too.
Greg Whitehead
Ten Mile, TN USA

Offline Garth Bock

• Table Rock Lake Weather
  • Forecaster
« Reply #20 on: March 27, 2009, 02:00:42 PM »
Verizon and AT&T are both bringing in FiOS (fiber optic service) to the home and then I will switch back from cable. I was on DSL but Verizon couldnt make it work in my area. Comcast came along with their 10mbs service and I went with it. There is DOCSIS 3 for cable which will boost speeds over 100 mbs without any major changes. So there is still bandwidth to be had. Even 3G and 4G wireless and UWB promise to give us more speed. Who knows what will happen next.

Re: RIAA dumbturds......they have quit launching lawsuits against unwitting grandmothers and people who have never connected to the internet but the word is that the broadband carriers that give in to them will send the P2P user an email to cease and desist, then after that cut back on their bandwidth and then if it continues then terminate their service. We are safe doing ftp because they will be monitoring the ports that kazaa, limewire, bearshare and others use. However, that doesn't rule out that if you get a virus that 'phones home' you might be included.

Offline sam2004gp

• Forecaster
  • Weeeeeeeee!!!!
« Reply #21 on: March 27, 2009, 07:45:49 PM »

I use it to my album

Thanks for the referral, I got it put on my website today.

Offline Axelvold

• Forecaster
« Reply #22 on: March 28, 2009, 02:33:13 PM »
Hi Sam
Your new photo album is really good  =D>
Lars Magnusson
Axelvold / Sweden