Author Topic: 2812 Wind Sensor  (Read 2993 times)

Offline TopherGreen

2812 Wind Sensor
« on: December 02, 2010, 12:33:01 PM »
This might be me overthinking something but I am gonna ask anyway. I am thinking of getting a 2812 and I noticed that the specs say that the
OUTDOOR DATA RECEPTION
Temperature and humidity data every 13 seconds
Wind data every 17 seconds
Rain data every 19 seconds

So if it console receives wind data every 13 or 17 seconds, is there something in the wind sensor or the temp sensor that records a gust that might happen during that 13 or 17 seconds so that you have a gust and current wind speed measurement? Or do you just get the wind speed at the time of the data download? I hope that I asked the question in an understandable fashion.

Thanks in advance

Chris

Offline ALITTLEweird1

• Mark
  • Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
    • North Bend Weather
Re: 2812 Wind Sensor
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2010, 08:47:40 PM »
If you can run it wired, the wind data is updated every 8 secs.
"Nature can do without man, but man cannot do without nature."

Software: WeatherDisplay
Hardware: Davis VP2 + VP2 Solar + VP2 UV + Lightning Detector + Logitech Webcam + Soil temp + Soil Moisture

Offline DanS

• Chiang Mai weather
  • Forecaster
    • ThaiWx
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2010, 09:11:14 PM »
There must be somewhere data is held between updates at least for the rain gauge. When I did manual adjustments to my gauge I had the buckets tipping faster than every 19 seconds and all the tips were counted. I'm not sure where and when the display gets the gusts readings though.

ALITTLEweird1, unfortunately there isn't a wired option for this model.

edit: Welcome to the forum also!
« Last Edit: December 02, 2010, 09:20:36 PM by DanS »

Offline ALITTLEweird1

• Mark
  • Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
    • North Bend Weather
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2010, 09:16:41 PM »
ALITTLEweird1, unfortunately there isn't a wired option for this model.

oops.. I should have looked the station up first.
"Nature can do without man, but man cannot do without nature."

Software: WeatherDisplay
Hardware: Davis VP2 + VP2 Solar + VP2 UV + Lightning Detector + Logitech Webcam + Soil temp + Soil Moisture

Offline kokketiel

« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2010, 05:55:46 PM »
I don't have the design specifications for the device, so this is speculation.  There is a difference between data capture and data transmission.  The specs seem to quote the data transmission interval.  Each data transmission may (and probably do) contain the all data since the last transmission.  So I don't think that any data will be missed.

Offline TopherGreen

« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2010, 03:14:25 PM »
That makes sense. Thanks for the replys.

Offline 2812owner

• La Crosse WS-2812
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2010, 03:10:20 PM »
Hi,

According to the La Crosse support techs, they haven't had the unit long enough to really know how it works! They said that if it works the way other units do, it will sample several times (say every 4 seconds) during the interval (17 seconds per specs) and then send the highest record sampled (for gusts) and the average of the record samples (for average wind speed) to the hygro at the end of the interval (17 seconds per specs); the hygro then transmits to the base unit. However, my base actually receives updates from the hygro every 13 seconds and updated data is received from all 3 sensors each time (so actual performance seems to be better than the stated specs!)

As a side note, the specs say the wind speed resolution (that is, the step between each measurement) is .22 mph.  That is true for my average wind speed measurements, however, my gust speed measurements demonstrate a resolution of about 1.34 mph, which is also what the La Crosse support techs are getting.